Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question for those currently on, or who have taken Armour in the past

As of about 2 months ago, I began taking Armour. Previous to that I was on 200mcg of Synthroid . After reading all the positive comments from those using Armour, I decided to make the switch.

Unfortunately, during my research phase, I missed that as of a year ago, the formula had changed because as most of your already know, the new formula is no longer sublingual friendly.

Well I've still tried taking the new stuff sublingually taking it twice a day however, I'm beginning to suspect I may have overshot the mark a bit in my first week, as I was told it was OK to go straight from 200mcg of Synthroid to 2.5 Grains of Armour. Unfortunately, my reaction was not the best.

I began feeling moody and anxious and emotional. I was tired and edgy and my muscles and joints began to ache. In retrospect, I probably should have ramped up the Armour more slowly. Since I was not reacting to the Armour favorably, I concluded it was a dosage issue since 2.5 grains only equals 150mcg of Synthroid. So I bumped my does to 3 grains or 180mcg. This only seemed to make matters worse. I was *so* tired during the day that it felt like I was drugged. So today, I got the brilliant idea to mix some Synthroid [T4] with the Armour.

All along, I've been told the signs of over dosing on thyroid meds were heart palpitations, feeling jittery and anxious along with problems sleeping. With the exception of anxious, I had none of the classic symptoms. Then today I dug around further and found that all my symptoms are also side effects of excessive thyroid med. Is this possible?

I knew t3 was significantly more potent than t4, but I had no idea how much til now.

So here's my question; has anyone had similar experiences? Is it worth it to try and dial back to maybe 2 grains a day or should I just ask my doc to change the script to WESTHROID? Has anyone had any luck with WESTHROID? [Which as I understand it, is supposed to be a generic version of the old formula Armour and still made the old way.]
    Last edited by forrest_and_trees; 09-14-2010 at 11:23 PM.

Thread Information