Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Paleo + TRT = ???

Henryhill470 is offline Associate Member
    On Wednesday I will be starting a 99.9% true Paleo diet for 40 days and 40 nights. The only processed food that I will be in taking will be WHEY protein. Would love to hear your thoughts, on what you guys think. I'm currently blasting right now. Curious to see how this will turn out ? Starting Wednesday I will update daily !!
    Last edited by Henryhill470; 02-11-2013 at 11:33 PM.

6'2"
    223lbs
    Cyp. 200mgs - EW
    EQ. 200mgs - EW (5 weeks left)
    Arimidex 2.5 mgs - EW while blasting
    25% BF Currently Bulking

Please do not criticize stats or protocol. This works well with my body, BW has been great.

If you choose to subscribe and see what happens great, if not no hard feels

Thanks !!!!

kerplunk is offline New Member
    I will definitely follow this thread. I started paleo diet 5 days ago and so far am loving it.

Good luck buddy

asiandudexxx is offline Junior Member
    This article talks about someone who did just that. http://robbwolf.com/2011/11/02/paleo-and-testosterone/

Good luck.

Vettester is offline Banned
    Holy shiat on the Adex, Henry, but if your body is sustaining stability, then so be it.

I'm curious to see the progress with your diet. If anything, make a log with it and give us periodic updates.

Also, how's the EQ doing for you? I'm going to add some here shortly, so looking for your feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Vettester
    Holy shiat on the Adex, Henry, but if your body is sustaining stability, then so be it.

I'm curious to see the progress with your diet. If anything, make a log with it and give us periodic updates.

Also, how's the EQ doing for you? I'm going to add some here shortly, so looking for your feedback.
    Will start my log tomorrow morning, I'm sure the first few days will be hard. The EQ has taken my appetite to a whole new level. I noticed more vascularity within 3-4 weeks. I'm not sure this is a contributing factor or not but I feel like my joints ache more? Could be just a coincidence, but for the last 5 weeks my shoulders, knees, elbows and wrist ache after my heavy days. But overall I have had great success with EQ in the past. I have always done well with a low dose of test and either deca or EQ. they are so similar though. the only difference that i have ever noticed is i have 10X the aggression while I'm on deca opposed to EQ. Defiantly recommend.

kerplunk is offline New Member
    Check out www paleotrack com

This is a good way to help keep you focused and track your diet.

Quote Originally Posted by kerplunk
    Check out www paleotrack com

This is a good way to help keep you focused and track your diet.
    Thanks buddy !

38onTRT is offline Associate Member
    I am currently on day 21 of the Whole30 and am loving it! I started at 238.5 and yesterday weighed in at 221.7... Whole30 is Paleo, however more strict, no whey, sugars except fruit, starches etc etc etc... I am feeling great and dropping weight by the minute, you will love it after day 7, as it takes your body/ mind to get used to the whole change of eating whole foods.. Currently I am at 150mg Test Cyp EW 250iu hCG 2 times a week and 2.5iu GH 5 on 2 off. Working out 5 days/ week.

If you have ANY questions, let me know, I can answer whatever it is you need help with.. Also,,, google Intermittent Fasting.. I am also doing this twice a week, basically eating nothing after 8pm Sunday/ Thursday and not consuming any calories until at LEAST noon the next day.. Dont try to IF unless you are well into your Paleo as your body will not have recovered from eating whatever crap foods you have eaten.. I'd say wait at least 2 whole weeks(14) days.. Your first meal should then consist of the same amount of calories you will usually consume, so try not to make up for the breakfast you missed.. IF days for me are eating twice a day, other days I eat 3 times.. You wont need more UNLESS you are hardcore weights/ Cardio..

Subbing to this thread to keep up. I will always remain Paleo from here on out, it has changed my life...

Again, let me know if you have any questions..

pjbandit is offline Junior Member
    Can anyone provixe some paleo diet meal plans or links to that

Quote Originally Posted by 38onTRT
    I am currently on day 21 of the Whole30 and am loving it! I started at 238.5 and yesterday weighed in at 221.7... Whole30 is Paleo, however more strict, no whey, sugars except fruit, starches etc etc etc... I am feeling great and dropping weight by the minute, you will love it after day 7, as it takes your body/ mind to get used to the whole change of eating whole foods.. Currently I am at 150mg Test Cyp EW 250iu hCG 2 times a week and 2.5iu GH 5 on 2 off. Working out 5 days/ week.

If you have ANY questions, let me know, I can answer whatever it is you need help with.. Also,,, google Intermittent Fasting.. I am also doing this twice a week, basically eating nothing after 8pm Sunday/ Thursday and not consuming any calories until at LEAST noon the next day.. Dont try to IF unless you are well into your Paleo as your body will not have recovered from eating whatever crap foods you have eaten.. I'd say wait at least 2 whole weeks(14) days.. Your first meal should then consist of the same amount of calories you will usually consume, so try not to make up for the breakfast you missed.. IF days for me are eating twice a day, other days I eat 3 times.. You wont need more UNLESS you are hardcore weights/ Cardio..

Subbing to this thread to keep up. I will always remain Paleo from here on out, it has changed my life...

Again, let me know if you have any questions..
    Thanks buddy. Will keep you posted

Last meal prior to my new venture !!!

Speggetti with hot Italian sausage, Garlic bread and apple pie.

Good bye processed foods :-(

9pm gym time.
    1 hour of shoulders and legs
    1 hour of cardio

Log will start tomorrow boys !!!

630am
    1.5 scoops of 100% WHEY
    1/4 raisins
    1 banana

12:00PM
    10oz grilled chicken breast
    6 Asparagus

4:00PM
    6 egg white/red pepper muffins

6:30PM
    10oz of tilapia
    Salad

So far today I feel good. At 9:00PM I will work out for an hour and do cardio for an hour. I have had a headache for a good bit of the day. Not sure if its related to Paleo or just from work?

So far so good

SEOINAGE is offline Anabolic Member
    Why consume any whey? Most people I know do paleo without it, and swear it isn't necessary.

I would have to agree too however OP is opting to stay on the whey.. The benefits of Paleo without the whey will be much better IMHO if its dropped..

SEOINAGE is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 38onTRT View Post
    I would have to agree too however OP is opting to stay on the whey.. The benefits of Paleo without the whey will be much better IMHO if its dropped..
    Yeah I kind of felt the same. But we sometimes get so hung up on whey as being absolutely necessary, we never think that we can do without it in our diet.

Day 2
    700AM
    Egg white omelet with peppers
    Protein shake

10:00AM
    banana
    Almonds 1/3 cup
    Raisins 1/4 cup

12:30PM
    Pork Tenderloin 10oz
    Roasted carrots
    Roasted broccoli

Shake

7:00PM
    1/2 roasted chick breast
    Steamed broccoli

9:00
    60 mins cardio

I didn't feel I would get enough protein in my diet with out it. I also I am using it to control hunger urges while I am at work. There are so many temptations at work so I am utilizing WHEY as much as possible.

Today I feel so lean. It's most likely due to less sodium in my diet but I feel great and it has only been 2 days.

GeriatricOne is offline Associate Member
    I have been 90% strict Paleo for 12 months. TRT about 8 of that.

You might like the new documentary titled "In Search of the Perfect Human Diet." Most of it is on YouTube now.

Try the "Jay Rob" brand protein powder. It's made from egg whites, organic, no genetically modified ingredients, no sugar or artificial sweeteners. Tastes good with almond milk (I like the Blue Diamond unsweetened brand the best). The Jay Rob chocolate protein powder with Blue Diamond unsweetened almond & coconut milk is soooo good! Delicious!

Quote Originally Posted by GeriatricOne
    I have been 90% strict Paleo for 12 months. TRT about 8 of that.

You might like the new documentary titled "In Search of the Perfect Human Diet." Most of it is on YouTube now.

Try the "Jay Rob" brand protein powder. It's made from egg whites, organic, no genetically modified ingredients, no sugar or artificial sweeteners. Tastes good with almond milk (I like the Blue Diamond unsweetened brand the best). The Jay Rob chocolate protein powder with Blue Diamond unsweetened almond & coconut milk is soooo good! Delicious!
    Have you lost weight ? Gain muscle ? How did the two work together ?

This looks ok to me, however, you have gotta add some fruit to the mix... Natural fruit sugars will help your body regulate blood/ glucose levels while on this "diet" and help maintain energy etc as you go through your day, especially when you do your daily workout..

Let me try and explain the 'science' behind the reasoning behind the Paleo way of eating in a short summary.. When we eat food that is processed or not whole or natural it causes or bodies to hold onto the unnatural sugars and use that as our energy, when its depleted we sort of freak out and have nowhere to turn as our brain is sooo used to using the sugars as energy. What happens? We get exhausted, tired, etc because we deplete our sugar energy and our body doesnt know where to turn.. When you eat whole, all natty foods, your body looks to its fat stores for energy. This is whats called being "fat adaptive". At any given time when you start getting really active, your liver starts releasing glucose from its fat stores for energy, this is how we are supposed to work.. Let me tell you this, I was skeptical when I started however I noticed a HUGE change after about day 8.. I had UNLIMITED energy and am bouncing off the walls.. On my days I dont fast for 16+ hours I eat only 3 times a day.. I will go into this later as to how and why it is still very beneficial to do this instead of the so called 5-6 times daily daily at a later time.. Honestly I am not hungry like before and have those hunger pangs you get while at work etc.. The cravings are GONE..

This is very important.. You MUST eat fat to burn fat.. I probably eat 2-3 TABLESPOONS of coconut oil daily along with a whole avocado, every day. This will also help with your energy. I cannot express to you how important it is to you to eat FAT! Nitrate/ Nitrite Free bacon is the best because you can save the grease and use it for later.. YES, you can have bacon grease.. I know most people will tell you how terrible this is and it is, while you are eating processed foods, sugars etc! Cholesterol levels are actually dropping while eating Paleo and fatty saturated fatty foods because you are not eating the $hit foods too..

An example of my non fasting days..

Wake 6am
    Black coffee
    1-1/2 cups organic frozen berries from Costco $9.99 a bag
    1 organic banana doesnt have to be organic
    handful of organic spinach
    2 tablespoons extra light olive oil OR 2 tablespoons coconut milk from the can. Whole foods has the light version for $1.99 a can. I use either just to get fat..
    1 tablespoon cinnamon for flavor
    1-1/2 to 2 cups water for consistency
    Mix in my blendtec and drink it slowly for 1-2 hours.. Not slamming it.

Noon
    6-8 ounces meat
    As much veggies as I can along with 1 tablespoon of either coconut, olive oil. I usually use the Extra Light vs. the Extra Virgin as it tastes better.. extra Virgin for salads etc.. They say not to cook with olive oil as heating it breaks down the good stuff however I do it every once in a while..
    SMALL portion of FRESH sweet potato/ yam roasted.

Dinner 6pm-ish
    Same as noon. You want at least 6 ounces of meat, however not too much... Veggies and if you busted A$$ at the gym, eat more sweet potato or yam.

It is also important to have some different spices laying around as you want to add as much 'change' to your meals so you dont get sick of eating the same stuff every day..

In closing and I will try to sum it all up in short.. Be fat adaptive 24/7 and you will see the fat melt away... You will maintain and even gain lean muscle! Eat fat to burn fat! You DO NOT need whey, get it from natural whole foods such as steak, chicken, pork and fish. Eat 3 times a day only as you will not feel the need to eat, trust me! Your work 'cravings' will disappear!

Just to give you an idea of where I started and how I am doing I kept track of my weight for the last few weeks..

Friday 2-1-13
    227lbs

Monday 2-4-13
    228lbs day after super bowl fasted 16 hours

Friday 2-8-13
    223.9lbs
    fasted 17.5 hours

Monday 2-11-13
    221.7 fasted 17.5 hours

Friday 2-15-13
    ?? Fasting as I type will update weight after fasting 16+ hours since last night and feel fukin great bro!!

Roughly 7 lbs in 2 weeks.... Maintained strength, energy and overall well being is great!

I started The Whole30 diet January 22nd at 234lbs. Started Paleo-ish eating around January 15th and weighed 238. Whole30 is a VERY strict Paleo way of eating. I complete the Whole30 program February 20.

Apologize for the very long post...

Quote Originally Posted by Henryhill470 View Post
    Day 2
    700AM
    Egg white omelet with peppers
    Protein shake

10:00AM
    banana
    Almonds 1/3 cup
    Raisins 1/4 cup

12:30PM
    Pork Tenderloin 10oz
    Roasted carrots
    Roasted broccoli

Shake

7:00PM
    1/2 roasted chick breast
    Steamed broccoli

9:00
    60 mins cardio

This looks ok to me, however, you have gotta add some fruit to the mix... Natural fruit sugars will help your body regulate blood/ glucose levels while on this "diet" and help maintain energy etc as you go through your day, especially when you do your daily workout..

Let me try and explain the 'science' behind the reasoning behind the Paleo way of eating in a short summary.. When we eat food that is processed or not whole or natural it causes or bodies to hold onto the unnatural sugars and use that as our energy, when its depleted we sort of freak out and have nowhere to turn as our brain is sooo used to using the sugars as energy. What happens? We get exhausted, tired, etc because we deplete our sugar energy and our body doesnt know where to turn.. When you eat whole, all natty foods, your body looks to its fat stores for energy. This is whats called being "fat adaptive". At any given time when you start getting really active, your liver starts releasing glucose from its fat stores for energy, this is how we are supposed to work.. Let me tell you this, I was skeptical when I started however I noticed a HUGE change after about day 8.. I had UNLIMITED energy and am bouncing off the walls.. On my days I dont fast for 16+ hours I eat only 3 times a day.. I will go into this later as to how and why it is still very beneficial to do this instead of the so called 5-6 times daily daily at a later time.. Honestly I am not hungry like before and have those hunger pangs you get while at work etc.. The cravings are GONE..

This is very important.. You MUST eat fat to burn fat.. I probably eat 2-3 TABLESPOONS of coconut oil daily along with a whole avocado, every day. This will also help with your energy. I cannot express to you how important it is to you to eat FAT! Nitrate/ Nitrite Free bacon is the best because you can save the grease and use it for later.. YES, you can have bacon grease.. I know most people will tell you how terrible this is and it is, while you are eating processed foods, sugars etc! Cholesterol levels are actually dropping while eating Paleo and fatty saturated fatty foods because you are not eating the $hit foods too..

An example of my non fasting days..

Wake 6am
    Black coffee
    1-1/2 cups organic frozen berries from Costco $9.99 a bag
    1 organic banana doesnt have to be organic
    handful of organic spinach
    2 tablespoons extra light olive oil OR 2 tablespoons coconut milk from the can. Whole foods has the light version for $1.99 a can. I use either just to get fat..
    1 tablespoon cinnamon for flavor
    1-1/2 to 2 cups water for consistency
    Mix in my blendtec and drink it slowly for 1-2 hours.. Not slamming it.

Noon
    6-8 ounces meat
    As much veggies as I can along with 1 tablespoon of either coconut, olive oil. I usually use the Extra Light vs. the Extra Virgin as it tastes better.. extra Virgin for salads etc.. They say not to cook with olive oil as heating it breaks down the good stuff however I do it every once in a while..
    SMALL portion of FRESH sweet potato/ yam roasted.

Dinner 6pm-ish
    Same as noon. You want at least 6 ounces of meat, however not too much... Veggies and if you busted A$$ at the gym, eat more sweet potato or yam.

It is also important to have some different spices laying around as you want to add as much 'change' to your meals so you dont get sick of eating the same stuff every day..

In closing and I will try to sum it all up in short.. Be fat adaptive 24/7 and you will see the fat melt away... You will maintain and even gain lean muscle! Eat fat to burn fat! You DO NOT need whey, get it from natural whole foods such as steak, chicken, pork and fish. Eat 3 times a day only as you will not feel the need to eat, trust me! Your work 'cravings' will disappear!

Just to give you an idea of where I started and how I am doing I kept track of my weight for the last few weeks..

Friday 2-1-13
    227lbs

Monday 2-4-13
    228lbs day after super bowl fasted 16 hours

Friday 2-8-13
    223.9lbs
    fasted 17.5 hours

Monday 2-11-13
    221.7 fasted 17.5 hours

Friday 2-15-13
    ?? Fasting as I type will update weight after fasting 16+ hours since last night and feel fukin great bro!!

Roughly 7 lbs in 2 weeks.... Maintained strength, energy and overall well being is great!

I started The Whole30 diet January 22nd at 234lbs. Started Paleo-ish eating around January 15th and weighed 238. Whole30 is a VERY strict Paleo way of eating. I complete the Whole30 program February 20.

Apologize for the very long post...
    AMAZING POST BROTHER !!!!!
    This is why I love this site. So informative !!!

Weighed my self this morning and I am down
    2 lbs.

Awesome

7AM
    6egg whites
    1 Orange
    1 Apple

930AM
    Shake
    1/2 almonds

1PM
    6oz Tilapia
    12 Asparagus

430PM
    Shake

7PM
    Grilled shrimp with red peppers and onions
    Salad assorted peppers and onions

9PM
    Arms & back 1 hour
    Cardio 1 hour

Same feeling today as yesterday. I feel as lean as ever. 2lbs down in 3 days. It's realistically all water weight. But so far it's not been bad. Tonight at dinner was the first time that I was craving bread. Other than that things have been great

joebailey1271 is offline Associate Member
    Blog Entries
    Great stuff Henry, following along. How many calories are u eating now?

GeriatricOne is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Henryhill470

Have you lost weight ? Gain muscle ? How did the two work together ?
    Not lost much weight, but have lost body fat. Scale reads about the same, but the mirror reveals noticeable changes in body composition.

Starting Paleo I lost a lot of fat quickly. Now I maintain weight easily. Feel better and more consistent performance in CrossFit too.

TRT induced an additional trimming of body fat, especially on the belly. Not so much the love handle on back above the hips. Noticeable reduction there too, but at 50 now that is going to be my trouble spot. But I am taking the long-term approach, rather than obsess for a young man's leanness. I've lost body fat on Paleo and TRT and CrossFit, I will stick with the program and continue to shed gradually. It will get there...

Took about 6 months on TRT but then I started noticing muscle and strength gains. Nothing profound, but I can see modest growth in the mirror and the misses noticed. Over the last 60 days my 1-rep max deadlift, front and back squats, clean and jerk, and snatch have increased 15-25 pounds.

The saying is true that you can't out train a bad diet. Paleo takes care of the diet phase for me. TRT helps with my general well being and better sleep, but also gives me back that little extra drive, motivation, aggression (pick your term) and is beginning to stimulate modest muscle growth with marked strength increases.

For aging guys like me, I think Paleo and TRT (and daily rigorous exercise) are a great prescription for optimal health!

Quote Originally Posted by joebailey1271
    Great stuff Henry, following along. How many calories are u eating now?
    Not counting.

Paleo Breakfast Baby

Egg & Ham Cups
    Onions & Mushrooms underneath the eggs.
    ABSOLUTELY AMAZING
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Paleo + TRT = ???-image-955526623.jpg  

I don't feel that hungry today.

1:00PM
    Protein shake
    1/4 cups almonds
    Hand full of raisins

5:00PM
    Baked Chicken breast with red potato's & salad

Craving a coke right now. Strange part is I haven't had a coke in prolly 5 years

10AM
    (Finally hungry, seems that my appetite is getting smaller)
    10am
    Gluten Free Pumpkin Pancakes & 5 Egg whites
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Paleo + TRT = ???-image-1488379388.jpg  

Shake and an apple for lunch

Down 4lbs since Wednesday
    Headed to the gym to do legs @ 2PM

Dinner
    Did legs today and sore as $hit. Legs don't ever bother me this much. Maybe just a coincidence ?

8oz filet salmon
    Red potato's
    Salad

Many things are going to change over the course of the next 8 days.... IMHO and you may not want to hear it(I'm ok with that) ditch the red potatoes... Get some sweet pots or yams... Much better for you and more in the direction of "Paleo" than not... Just sayin...

Some alternatives to Potatoes..
    Butternut squash
    Sweet Pots
    Yams

You can top them with the same thing as your Reds and they will almost taste identical.. Reds hold almost 0 nutritional value, maybe maybe a bit more than whites, however not much...

REAL food will start tasting really really good at about Day 10. Its amazing how us humans in this day and age actually forget what real food tastes like...

Also, eat the yolks with the eggs.. You need the fat, trust me, your cholesterol will not raise, it will actually drop...

Keep it up!

Many things are going to change over the course of the next 8 days.... IMHO and you may not want to hear it(I'm ok with that) ditch the red potatoes... Get some sweet pots or yams... Much better for you and more in the direction of "Paleo" than not... Just sayin...

Some alternatives to Potatoes..
    Butternut squash
    Sweet Pots
    Yams

You can top them with the same thing as your Reds and they will almost taste identical.. Reds hold almost 0 nutritional value, maybe maybe a bit more than whites, however not much...

REAL food will start tasting really really good at about Day 10. Its amazing how us humans in this day and age actually forget what real food tastes like...

Also, eat the yolks with the eggs.. You need the fat, trust me, your cholesterol will not raise, it will actually drop...

Keep it up!
    Advice taken, thanks buddy

5:49AM
    I just weighed myself and I am down 7 pounds holy sh:t

7AM
    Shake & 5 scrambled eggs

10am
    Red apple

1PM
    2 chicken breast