Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By IncreaseMyT
  • 1 Post By IncreaseMyT
  • 1 Post By hammerheart
  • 2 Post By MuscleScience
  • 1 Post By hammerheart

Thread: Can SSRI's have permanent sexual side effects (delayed ejaculation)

waylaid69 is offline New Member

Can SSRI's have permanent sexual side effects (delayed ejaculation)

I took a high dose of Prozac nearly 20 years ago for a 2 year period.. During that time, I found it very difficult to ejaculate. I still have the same problem! Anyone else in the same boat?

Quote Originally Posted by waylaid69 View Post
    I took a high dose of Prozac nearly 20 years ago for a 2 year period.. During that time, I found it very difficult to ejaculate. I still have the same problem! Anyone else in the same boat?
    I take psy meds and i find it hard to ejaculate sometimes and also to keep a hard on... small price to pay for peace of mind tho. the GF doesnt mind too much so everything is ok in that department. i definitely feel your pain tho as it can be a pain in the ass.

IncreaseMyT is offline Associate Member
    Although 5-HT has been the most studied neurotransmitter in depression, converging lines of evidence suggest that NE is of major importance in the pathophysiology and treatment of depressive disorder. NE projections from the locus ceoruleus innervate the limbic system, which is implicated in the regulation of emotions and cognition. Substantial functional biochemical differences exist in the NE system in postmortem brains from depressed patients and healthy controls. Genetic manipulation of the NE system that increases NE neurotransmission protects animals from stress-induced depressive behavior, while chemical manipulation that depletes the brain of NE increases the susceptibility of recovered depressed patients to a depressive relapse. Therapeutic agents which specifically increase NE activity are effective antidepressants, and there is evidence that those acting simultaneously on 5-HT and NE neurotransmission may have an antidepressant action superior to SSRIs.50
    The importance of norepinephrine in depression

Dietary Sources

L-phenylalanine is found in most foods that contain protein, including beef, poultry, pork, fish, milk, yogurt, eggs, cheese, soy products (including soy protein isolate, soybean flour, and tofu), and certain nuts and seeds. The artificial sweetener aspartame is also high in phenylalanine.

D-phenylalanine is made in the laboratory but is not found in food.

Available Forms

D-phenylalanine
    L-phenylalanine
    DL-phenylalanine (50/50 blend of D-phenylalanine and L-phenylalanine)
    You can take phenylalanine as a capsule, powder, or tablet. You can also apply it as a topical cream.
    Phenylalanine | University of Maryland Medical Center
    Keep_It_Moving likes this.

hammerheart is offline Knowledgeable Member
    A lot of people report permanent sides from SSRI/SNRI... I was prescribed venlafaxine a couple of years ago which I refused to take. Glad I was informed enough to stay away from that s**t.

There is some evidence that dopamine agonist can reverse the sexual dysfunction that comes with SSRI use, if you are interested.

Quote Originally Posted by IncreaseMyT View Post
    I've tried many serotonergics compounds and only got sides from them, no benefits. The only stuff that helped is cathecolamine enhancers/precursors like l-tyrosine, levodopa, and the anti-parkinsonian drug selegiline.

I might also add I end up feeling asexual every time I upgrade thyroid hormone dosage, which also enhance serotonin in the brain. It usually lasts about a couple of weeks. Note that thyroid hormone upregulates serotonin receptors (mainly post-synaptic 5-HT2a) in a opposite fashion compared to SSRI, which downregulate the receptors. If I were to take an SSRI, I'd probably get a permanent shutdown in sexual function.
    IncreaseMyT likes this.

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    Alot of research is coming out that the major cause of depression is chronic inflammation. Secondly we are just scratching the surface on the role that gut flora plays on our moods.
    IncreaseMyT and macmathews like this.
    “If you can't explain it to a second grader, you probably don't understand it yourself.” Albert Einstein

"Juice slow, train smart, it's a long journey."
    BG

"In a world full of pussies, being a redneck is not a bad thing."
    OB

Body building is a way of life..........but can not get in the way of your life.
    BG

No Source Check Please, I don't know of any.

Depressed? Healthy Way Out!

Tips For Young Lifters

MuscleScience Training Log

macmathews is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleScience View Post
    Alot of research is coming out that the major cause of depression is chronic inflammation. Secondly we are just scratching the surface on the role that gut flora plays on our moods.
    Huge link - gut and mind -

Mac

I no longer feel depressed, but still have the delayed ejaculation. Very often I cannot ejaculate at all, so need to fake that I am enjoying it, when really I cannot feel much pleasure in my dick at all.
    What are some examples of dopamine agonists?
    Thanks.

Cabergoline is the most popular "underground". People on cycles use it to control prolactin while on tren /deca ... and is the one associated with the least sides, but you cannot stay on it indefinitely.

Be careful, messing with brain dopamine can prove dangerous, these drugs can have very serious sides (including psychiatric).

Proximal is offline Banned
    Perhaps at that time it was the wrong dosage and/or wrong antidepressant. There is a process of trial and error involved in both.

Personally, I've been on a mild dose of Prozac for about 20 years now and have experienced amazing success & never had any side effects. Regarding cabergoline, I'm going on 3 years usage due to a pituitary tumor & once again no side effects to speak of.

Quote Originally Posted by bizzarro View Post
    Cabergoline is the most popular "underground". People on cycles use it to control prolactin while on tren /deca ... and is the one associated with the least sides, but you cannot stay on it indefinitely.

Be careful, messing with brain dopamine can prove dangerous, these drugs can have very serious sides (including psychiatric).
    Thanks. I did try taking Mucuna Pruriens, containing 15% L-dopa, but had a very bad reaction to it (hot flushed face, sweaty palms, tingling feeling down my arms and anxiety). Do you think that would suggest I would not respond well to cabergoline, or does cabergoline work very differently than mucuna?

We think Caber has the lowest amount of sides in the class.

Hope this helps.

Difficult to say. Mucuna features not only levodopa but other psycho active molecules as well.

Cabergoline works by doing the job of dopamine at its receptor, which translates its action, while levodopa is the precursor of dopamine (and it can be further converted to nor(adrenaline)), and very little of it make it into the brain, if ingested. Mucuna extract is in fact a very weak compound.

Consider also that caber has a very long half-life of about 60 hours. If you are going to get sides from it, they might last a few days, but they should be mild anyway.
    IncreaseMyT likes this.

Thanks. What is the starting dose for caber?

You get 0.5 mg tablets, half (0.25) two times a week is a standard dose, but I'd start as low as .125.

LeeSin1 is offline Junior Member
    i heard that it normally goes away. i took some for awhile and i don't know if i had any side effects, honestly

Thread Information