Thread: mcl/acl

jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Blog Entries

mcl/acl

Bad timing - bad day! Not that there is a good time for this but the little lady is due with our child on the 28th of this month and on limited bed rest and this am i tore my acl AND my mcl! I was woirking in the yard and we have a small retaining wall - i stepped back and off the wall...my right foot stayed on the wall and my knee proceed to go about 16 inches below the wall and my right foot. I felt it immediately and when i got up i went to walk and my knee totally buckled and my knee went inward and my foot stayed out. Just got back from hospital and apprently the wall incident tore mcl and the buckling tore acl. I have level 2 tears in both - said im very lucky given the incident neither was a complete tear. Anyway enough rambling - my question: IIRC from my PT cert long ago Three stage recovery - RICE then Stretching then strength. Prob 6-8 week recovery. Any thoughts , inpout , suggestions?

bmacmx121 is offline New Member
    I have gone through two ACL replacements, first one I snapped it completely like a rubber band. Just do what the therapist says, don't let it get stiff, ice it, move it as much as you can without pain. If you can ride a stationary bike I would do that on low resistance for 10 minutes or so at a time. When I was recovering from my surgeries riding the bike would make my knee feel a world of difference better, just helps with healing to get the blood flowing to it. Oh, and don't violently twist your knee in a jerking motion haha. Good luck on the recovery!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacmx121 View Post
    I have gone through two ACL replacements, first one I snapped it completely like a rubber band. Just do what the therapist says, don't let it get stiff, ice it, move it as much as you can without pain. If you can ride a stationary bike I would do that on low resistance for 10 minutes or so at a time. When I was recovering from my surgeries riding the bike would make my knee feel a world of difference better, just helps with healing to get the blood flowing to it. Oh, and don't violently twist your knee in a jerking motion haha. Good luck on the recovery!
    Thanks for the input and well wishes....
    A bike will def be my rehab of choice and after some time reistance training- leg extensions / curls in particular.

baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    Just be very careful with any stretch... Little and often...

RICE, ibuprofen, glucosamine sulphate

HGH is probably the very best thing you can give yourself right now

Rest rest rest IMO

Active cardio (light walking) kind of rehab stuff....

As far as exercise in the gym once you get over the initial hump (pain/inflammation etc....), well!!!

I think leg extensions are dreadfull for your knees, at least they are for me... The only thing u can do is whatever doesnt bother the knee.... Variety may help here as well....

Stationary bike for sure, with a high seat so ur knees are not bending too much

Gd luck man, sounds painfull tho.... They gym is the safest place in the world!
    Last edited by baseline_9; 07-15-2011 at 09:20 AM.
    Don't be a 'Bro'..... Believe nothing....Question everything

Baseline - Working to phase out this generation of Bro-Scientists

Stop over thinking nutrition - If you want something to think about download Myfitnesspal and learn how to count macros

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    i'm a big believer in HGH, low dose and you'll see crazy great recovery..

anavar is another favorite..
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

Blog Entries
    Thanks Base and Spy ...
    I appreciate the advice ....

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spywizard View Post
    i'm a big believer in HGH, low dose and you'll see crazy great recovery..

anavar is another favorite..
    The only problem is finding real HGH. Try a longevity doctor, it's probably your best bet not to waste time or money although $$$$ Expect to pay about three bones a month for 1iu.

bmacmx121 is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyinkedup View Post
    Thanks for the input and well wishes....
    A bike will def be my rehab of choice and after some time reistance training- leg extensions / curls in particular.
    Leg extensions are terrible for recovering knees, it puts a lot more stress on the ACL because your ACL is what keeps your knee stable and adding whatever weight from the extension is asking for more problems. My therapist and doctor both said not to even straighten my leg in the air while i was sitting on a chair. I didn't start doing leg extensions until about 6 weeks into therapy and I was way ahead of the game in therapy, I didn't have any swelling and had all my motion back within two weeks of surgery. The biggest thing is getting motion back but do it very carefully, also get the swelling down as fast as you can. The swelling is what causes muscle atrophy because the swelling keeps your muscles from being able to contract all the way. Start with stretches, easy walking, riding the stationary bike, and as your pain and swelling go down and your range of motion gets better, then you can start to work it a little more. Walking on the treadmill on an incline will help get your calves working and help your legs get their strength back too.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacmx121 View Post
    Leg extensions are terrible for recovering knees, it puts a lot more stress on the ACL because your ACL is what keeps your knee stable and adding whatever weight from the extension is asking for more problems. My therapist and doctor both said not to even straighten my leg in the air while i was sitting on a chair. I didn't start doing leg extensions until about 6 weeks into therapy and I was way ahead of the game in therapy, I didn't have any swelling and had all my motion back within two weeks of surgery. The biggest thing is getting motion back but do it very carefully, also get the swelling down as fast as you can. The swelling is what causes muscle atrophy because the swelling keeps your muscles from being able to contract all the way. Start with stretches, easy walking, riding the stationary bike, and as your pain and swelling go down and your range of motion gets better, then you can start to work it a little more. Walking on the treadmill on an incline will help get your calves working and help your legs get their strength back too.
    Thanks for the input / suggestions!

Thread Information