tommyboy1 is offline New Member

Me and What I want to Be.. :)

Hello All,
    This is my first post, so hello. I have been considering using steroids since I started working out faithfully 4 years ago. I guess I have the same problem everyone has, they want to progress faster. I have been faithful with my workout routines and diet for 4 years. I always strive to learn more and progress. I try to glean from those around me as much as possible. With that being said, I guess I would just like to know if what I am trying to achieve is possible naturally. As you can see from my physique, I am completely natural. It is just so frustrating to watch guys blow up in the gym while I struggle to put on a pound or two. I have always said, I wish I could see a magic glowing red arrow above the heads of anyone who is not natural, just so I can know if I am trying to become something I may never be able to. Anyways, I wanted to post some pics just to see what you guys thought. The first pic is me. Current stats
    Age 30
    Height 6' even
    Weight 190 right now
    I am in the middle of a cutting phase of my diet. I bulked for about 3 months and ended the massing phase Jan 1. I got pretty fat (for me) and hit about 205. When I am cut up pretty well, I weigh between 170 and 175.

The second 2 pics are rough examples of what I am shooting for. I know that I am not built exactly like the other photos, but its an idea so you can see what I am going for. I don't want to be crazy huge, I just want a "male model" type physique. I am guessing that i would have to weigh 190 ripped to look like the photos?

Have I progressed far enough to consider steroids? Can I achieve the look in those pics naturally? What kind of time frame am I looking at naturally if it is possible? Is that 4 more years out?, 8 more years out? Never?
    How far out is that look with the aid of steroids?

Feel free to shoot me down, or tell me if I am completely on the wrong track, just bouncing this off people with a lot more experience than me.

Thanks

GT2
    GT2 is offline Senior Member
    Hi, welcome to AR.

I am glad you have stuck to working out for 4 years, and been patient with your progress. To get the "male model" look (in the far right picture) you do need a bigger and more solid foundation to work upon. IMO You are not ready for steroids , proper workout and diet will get you far without steroids. At this stage, jumping on a cycle will just be a big waste of money.

Would you mind posting your current diet and work out plan to give us a better idea of what you're working with?

With your current physique, a proper "anabolic diet", and banging those heavy weights out on compound movements for another 2 years, you will be surprised how far you can go naturally. At that stage, if your happy with your size, then I'd cut.

Male models aren't that big at all, but they still worked very hard (far right picture) to get their physiques where they are. Patience is key. Remember, Rome wasn't built in a day, and nor was a quality physique.

Don't ever compare yourself with others, whether or not they use steroids etc. Always try to better yourself. Everyone has different genetical potential and capacity, and what's important is fulfilling the potential YOU have been given Comparing yourself to others will only hinder your progress.

manwitplans is offline Senior Member
    Is any of these pictures of you?

beatango2008 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamish&Andy View Post
    Hi, welcome to AR.

I am glad you have stuck to working out for 4 years, and been patient with your progress. To get the "male model" look (in the far right picture) you do need a bigger and more solid foundation to work upon. IMO You are not ready for steroids , proper workout and diet will get you far without steroids. At this stage, jumping on a cycle will just be a big waste of money.

Would you mind posting your current diet and work out plan to give us a better idea of what you're working with?

With your current physique, a proper "anabolic diet", and banging those heavy weights out on compound movements for another 2 years, you will be surprised how far you can go naturally. At that stage, if your happy with your size, then I'd cut.

Male models aren't that big at all, but they still worked very hard (far right picture) to get their physiques where they are. Patience is key. Remember, Rome wasn't built in a day, and nor was a quality physique.

Don't ever compare yourself with others, whether or not they use steroids etc. Always try to better yourself. Everyone has different genetical potential and capacity, and what's important is fulfilling the potential YOU have been given Comparing yourself to others will only hinder your progress.
    Good advice, if only someone else we all know followed it...

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    I think you look good the way you are now , woof . (hope i don't scare him away from the site )

Like stated above , post your diet in the diet section and go from there.

xnotoriousx is offline Anabolic Member
    First off, welcome to the board.

I think the pictures to the right of yours are achievable for you, naturally with hard work(Tons of cardio and superb dieting). I'd say 2-4 years, depending on your genetics.

Before we go any further though, lets see your full days diet and workout schedule.

Thanks for the advice and info.

I'm not sure how specific you want me to get on my diet, so I will just give a quick reference. If you want me to get more specific, please let me know and I will.

When I am on a bulk cycle I will run a 30% Protien / 40% Carb / 30% Fat diet. I divide up my meals into 6 meals a day. I usually eat 3 solid meals and 3 shake meals (not including post workout drink). I maintain about a 500 calorie excess per day to insure my body has enough to build. Usually that figure runs between 3000 and 3500 calories a day depending on where my lean body mass is at. First meal at 8 am, last meal at 11 pm (11 pm carb light, slow absorb protien). I always use a post workout shake with a combination of fast absorb protien and carbs, in order to get my body to break that catabolic phase quickly. I keep my post workout meals calories greater than my other meals.

When I am on a cutting cycle I will run a 40% Protien / 30% Carb / 30% Fat diet. I keep my calories at a 500 calorie deficiency during these phases. So I normally take in between 1500 and 2000 calories during a cut. I pretty much follow the same rules as above for meal timing. If my body gets stubborn I will occasionally carb cycle to fool my body and stop my metabolism from slowing too dramatically.

The meals are pretty simple stuff. Egg whites, some yolks, whole wheat bread, whole wheat pasta, whole grain rice, green beans, brocolli, turkey burgers, turkey, lean red meat (london broil), fruit, etc (plus my wife makes a mean turkey enchilada. .

I like to keep my workout in flux to keep my body guessing, so it changes all the time, but right now, during my cutting cycle, It is as follows.

day1
    Upper body
    (all sets to failure)
    Dumbell Bench 3 sets 10-12
    Low Rows 3 sets 10-12
    Military Press 3 sets 10-12
    Butterflys incline 3 sets 10-12
    Lat pull downs 3 sets 10-12
    Side raises heavy 3 sets 10-12

(all sets above are done with about 2 min rests, i have not included warm up sets in any of these lists)

go into a circuit of no rest burn outs of
    dips to cable side raises 3 sets on each

day2
    Cardio 30-45 mins cycling or running

day3
    Leg Day
    Squats (bench under butt) 3 sets 10 - 12
    Stiff leg dead lifts 3 sets 10-12
    Standing Calf raise 3 sets 10-12
    Leg extensions 3 sets 10-12
    Leg curls 3 sets 10-12
    Seated Calf raise 3 sets 10-12
    Usually some calf burn out sets here at the end.

day4
    Arms and Cardio (30 mins)
    Hammer Curls 3 sets 10-12
    Skull Crushers 3 sets 10-12
    Standing Straight bar superset into reverse grip 3sets 10-12 superset maybe 8reps on each set
    Cable push downs drop sets (7 reps each set,no rest,drop for total of 5 sets). I do 2 of these.

day 5 start over with Upper body. Each body part gets hit approximately 1 1/2 times per week.

This is my current cutting workout. It is pretty simple just because I am working to maintain size, and lifting lower rep sets seems counter productive when I have a calorie deficiency in my body. My guidlines during a bulk cycle workout are a little different. I do very little or no cardio. I usually shoot for somewhere between 6-10 reps per set depending on the body part. My rests are closer to 3 mins between normal working sets. I will sometimes pyramid, or do drops, or supers. The sets are much more intense. I usually only hit a body part once a week. I am sore almost a full 7 days for almost every single mass workout. I think I am soreness prone..lol. Other guys I work out with almost never get sore...must be nice.

I thought it was interesting that you said to bulk for 2 more years and then cut. I generally do everything in 3 month phases. For example, bulk 3 months, evaluate body fat percentage, then decide if I need to bulk or cut the next 3. I generally end up bulking half the year, and cutting half the year. If I bulk for 2 years, I will get pretty fat. I am a former "fat boy", and have a tendency to pack it on. I bulked through the holidays this year, and I will end up having to cut a total of almost 30 pounds to get in great shape (15 pounds already done). I can't imagine what 2 years would do. Is this how you guys put on that kind of size, by long bulk periods?

Van...ONLY the pic on the left is me.

Anyways, thanks for the help and input, it is much appreciated.

GT2
    Quote Originally Posted by beatango2008 View Post
    Good advice, if only someone else we all know followed it...
    Haha mate you've lost me. Who are we talking about?

P.S., on the diets, I will do a cheat day once a week. Like how I left that out? I know.... i should knock that down to ONE cheat meal, or NO cheating at all. Flame away..lol.

GT2
    IMO there's too many drop-sets, burn outs etc.

If I were you, I'd keep it nice and simple. 3 sets of each exercise, 5-10 reps.
    Go heavy each set, get 2-3 minutes rest between each, and go back at it. Building maximum muscle mass is in direct proportion to the intensity you put in each workout. Intensity should not be confused for volume.

As the saying goes, "one man's set is another man's workout". You should therefore concentrate on heavy weight, rather than shocking principles (e.g. drop sets). These have their place, but for what you're trying to achieve, and that's building a solid foundation, I'd stick to 3 normal sets.

Also, I'd try to eliminate almost all machine exercises, as they tend to put you in a fixed position, and take out a lot of the stabilising muscles. IMO, machines should only be used during contest prep to avoid injury.

I would recommend a 3-day split, majority of people find this the best way to pack on muscle, as you are getting plenty of rest to actually grow.

I'd recommend the following split:

Monday – Chest and Back
    - Flat bench press
    - Incline bench press
    - Dumbbell flyes
    - Dips

- Deadlifts
    - Wide-grip chin-ups
    - Bent-over rows

Wednesday – Legs and Abs
    - Squats
    - Leg press
    - Standing calf raise
    - Seated calf raise

- Crunches
    - Reverse crunches

Friday – Shoulders and arms
    - Military press
    - Lateral raises

- Weighted Dips
    - Skullcrushers (Lying tricep extensions) or close-grip bench

- Barbell curls
    - Dumbbell curls

H&A, that workout looks good. The split and movements are much more of what I would be doing when bulking, although, you are right that I would be doing more drop and burn out sets. I would be very open to eliminating those drops and burn outs... . I started out by following the Anthony Ellis workout (not sure if anyone is familiar with this), by the book exactly for the first year or so. I still follow most of those principles, but have adapted a little and have learned to listen to my body. I think your principles are very similar to his. Good diet, big compound free weight movements. Build a solid base. Etc.

Thanks again for the input. I guess I have several more years to attain my goal..which I am okay with. I'm not in this for the short haul, I'm in it for the long.

I am still wondering if you think I should bulk only for an extended period of time, or bulk and cut like I am currently doing?

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    No need to be bulking in my opinion, you need about 10 more pounds of muscle and about 20 less pounds of fat to acheive your goal. You should be able to make that happen in 2 years naturally with proper diet and training. Could be done in 12-18 months if your genetics are good which they seem to be.

green182 is offline Junior Member
    Dude, go look at my pictures. I looked pretty similar to you when I started my diet and w/o 7 weeks ago. You can do it man it just takes dedication. Take the majority of salt out of your diet and you will see an improvement especially while you are cutting. Increase your cardio and train train train. You can do it man but it takes dedication. I heard someone say this before 'training and dieting isn't a hobby, its a lifestyle.'

Keep us posted

Hello All,
    I am taking H & A's advice and changing up my workout a bit. Today I did the day1 workout you suggested, with the exception of the dips. You have dips in there on Chest and Back day, and arm day. Do you think I should do them both days?, or should I stick to one or the other. I know you put them in there for both, but am not sure if you accidentally listed them twice.

Also, I am assuming that the workout restarts on Monday. Meaning no lifting Sat or Sun for recoup. So a seven day recovery period. Am I correct on this?

By the way, all those sets of heavy compound lifting was great. Pretty intense actually. Thanks for the tips.

I am having a hard time finding where people list sample diets on this forum. Can someone link it in a response. Thanks again.

tommyboy

D7M
    D7M is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer (RETIRED)
    Blog Entries

PT
    PT is offline DUNAMIS ~ AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    are you the guy on the right or left?
    source checks- 200 posts and 6 month membership min. entirely within my discretion
    PT is a fictional character and all posts are for entertainment purposes only.

Phate is offline Got Diet? ~VET~ AR Hall of Famer~
    Quote Originally Posted by PT View Post
    are you the guy on the right or left?
    he is the guy on the far left, the other two pics are what he wants to look like i believe

xnotoriousx is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyboy1 View Post
    I have been faithful with my workout routines and diet for 4 years.
    I would think 4 years, you would already look like the guy on the right. Something isn't adding up.

GT2
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyboy1 View Post
    Hello All,
    I am taking H & A's advice and changing up my workout a bit. Today I did the day1 workout you suggested, with the exception of the dips. You have dips in there on Chest and Back day, and arm day. Do you think I should do them both days?, or should I stick to one or the other. Chest dips are different to tricep dips, although they are similar. With chest dips you lean as far forward as you can to hit the chest, whereas with tricep dips you are more upright. My point was, weighted dips for triceps on arms day is a great mass-builder, you could perhaps swap it with close-grip bench, or rotate a few exercises around every workout to shock the muscle. I know you put them in there for both, but am not sure if you accidentally listed them twice.

Also, I am assuming that the workout restarts on Monday. Meaning no lifting Sat or Sun for recoup. So a seven day recovery period. Am I correct on this? That is correct. Each muscle gets worked once a week. Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday are rest days. If you train heavy enough, and intense enough, you shouldn't be able to train more than 3 days a week (unless you are juicing).

By the way, all those sets of heavy compound lifting was great. Pretty intense actually. Thanks for the tips. You're welcome. Big compound movement weights builds big muscles. I wouldn't worry much about isolation until you have built a solid base.

I am having a hard time finding where people list sample diets on this forum. Can someone link it in a response. Thanks again.

tommyboy
    My answers are in red.

Yes, to clarify, i am the guy on the far left.

Yes, I thought that after 4 years I would look like the guy on the right too, lol. But, for me, I guess not . Thats why I am here asking questions, in order to find out if it is attainable naturally. From my experience, barring perfect genetics, most guys that look like the guy on the right naturally probably have many years of training under their belt.

H&A, thanks for the clarification.

Voltaire is offline Junior Member
    That first photo seems a bit dodge, like this is some sort of before and after advertisement. Your not going to be trying to sell some 'great' supplement after attaining these goals in like 3 weeks are you?

I wish. Three weeks would be great! But, alas, no. If you find a supplement that will do that in three weeks, I'll be the first in line to get some.

Thread Information