gonnagetmebigger is offline Junior Member

are squats + deadlifts doing this???

I've just started doing squats and deadlifts for the first time! And I've noticed that I'm lifting
    Heavier on upper body exercises now, I'm not on anything apart from a good diet, rest and training well.
    These weights seem to be going up every week? Any ideas, I thought it mite be because of the natural
    Testosterone in me, but I'd like to know what you think?

Ps I know I'm getting stronger but my single arm bicep curls have gone by 5kg since my last sessions, about 5 days ago.
    Also shoulder press went from 27.5kg per db with a spot for 6 reps, now I'm doing 30 kg 6reps alone since the last session again 5 days ago.
    The only difference is I'm doing deadlifts and squats!

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Absolutely! Anybody wanting to gain mass and strength should be doing squats and deads. They will help put muscle all over the body! Squats don't just hit your legs, deads don't just hit your back and legs, etc. That along with the relatively large muscle groups they direclty stimulate causing a bigger GH and testosterone release, you are getting exactly what you should out of them!

HawaiianPride. is offline AR's Think Tank
    The big 3 are vital. Never exclude them from your training regimen.

only-juice is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    Absolutely! Squats don't just hit your legs, deads don't just hit your back and legs, etc. That along with the relatively large muscle groups they direclty stimulate causing a bigger GH and testosterone release, you are getting exactly what you should out of them!
    ^^+ and these exercises also make your CNS stronger which is responsible for Muscle Growth as well. One of my friends didnt use to do dead-lifts or squats, By adding them to his routine he was able to add a solid 20lbs on his body in just a matter of 6 months. Never underestimate the power of Squats and Dead-lifts.. Keep lifting heavy. And I wish you luck that you end up puking after a Squat session. You will feel awesome the next day

Haha great replies thanks guys, I've been doing 2 sets of sqauts or deads before a normal session as well as a dedicated leg session,
    Do you this this is ok or should I just keep it legs, back/tris, chest/bis, shoulders. Thanks a lot guys.

sprinter911 is offline Associate Member
    Bump. The power moves are essential to overall development

only-juice is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gonnagetmebigger View Post
    Haha great replies thanks guys, I've been doing 2 sets of sqauts or deads before a normal session as well as a dedicated leg session,
    Do you this this is ok or should I just keep it legs, back/tris, chest/bis, shoulders. Thanks a lot guys.
    As much as we love to train, our body loves to rest. So dont over do it. Try to do everything on its day and let it rest on other days.

This is what I do..
    Mon Chest/tri/Shoulders
    Tues Back/bis
    Wed Off
    Thurs Legs/calves/abs
    Mon Chest/tris/Shoulders

Next week rotate and repeat.

You can also do one muscle per day if you want to workout 5 days a week if you like.
    Mon Back
    Tues Chest
    Wed abs/calves/shoulders
    Thurs Legs
    Friday tri/bis/abs/calves
    Last edited by only-juice; 07-24-2010 at 10:43 AM.

vishus is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    Absolutely! Anybody wanting to gain mass and strength should be doing squats and deads. They will help put muscle all over the body! Squats don't just hit your legs, deads don't just hit your back and legs, etc. That along with the relatively large muscle groups they direclty stimulate causing a bigger GH and testosterone release, you are getting exactly what you should out of them!
    well put

Thanks again, I've been reading up about natural testosterone boosting to get the most out of yourself naturally. Any other ideas on how to do this?

HawaiianPride. is offline AR's Think Tank
    No need for any kind of OTC Test booster if your under 24 IMO. Test levels are sky high at this point.

Bigdog99 is offline Member
    if you are making great gains now...why do you want juice? Keep going naturally. When you have reached your genetic limit...then start thinking about gear.

BTW--top 3 overall lifts in order for max overall strength and development are (IMO)

1--Squats
    2--Deadlifts
    3---Bench

Other may disagree in the order--- but in general if you do these along with other smaller movements.....you will be just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog99 View Post
    if you are making great gains now...why do you want juice? Keep going naturally. When you have reached your genetic limit...then start thinking about gear.

BTW--top 3 overall lifts in order for max overall strength and development are (IMO)

1--Squats
    2--Deadlifts
    3---Bench

Other may disagree in the order--- but in general if you do these along with other smaller movements.....you will be just fine.
    I agree with this. I'd also include weighted dips and pullups/chinups though, just to get a very well rounded workout.

thanks gbrice, ive been doing dips and pull ups but as many as possible rather than weighted dips and pull ups should i strt them weighted from now on. its back and triceps day tomorrow and looking forward to see if weights need to be incresed like the other exercises hve. i shall report back soon!
    thanks everyone for all the great posts btw.

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    I started doing deadlifts after many years of not doing them. I squated every week for years straight and always heavy. When I decided to add back in deadlifts my body exploded. My forearms got bigger, stronger and more vascular. My traps finally started to grow. And my mid back put on so much size that I had to buy all new dress shirts cause the sleeves were to short. Dead where exactly the missing link in my training regime that had held me back for years, even though I should have known better.

Keep in mind when I say deads, I mean without wraps, proper form and as heavy as strict form will allow. No flat back deads off a box with wrist wraps.
    “If you can't explain it to a second grader, you probably don't understand it yourself.” Albert Einstein

"Juice slow, train smart, it's a long journey."
    BG

"In a world full of pussies, being a redneck is not a bad thing."
    OB

Body building is a way of life..........but can not get in the way of your life.
    BG

No Source Check Please, I don't know of any.

Depressed? Healthy Way Out!

Tips For Young Lifters

MuscleScience Training Log

really! Muscle science did you just do squats in a leg workout and deads in a back workout?

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    really! Muscle science did you just do squats in a leg workout and deads in a back workout?
    Yeah pretty much, I had a hard time after awhile with recovery while doing both in the same week. If I start feeling extra sore or tired in my low back. I start to alternate weeks of squat or deadlift on my leg day. Typically It been working out to were I do 4 weeks of squat and deads in the same week. Then another 4 weeks were I do one or another during the week. I have not noticed any difference in strenght gains or loss. Just a lot less stiffness and down time to injury or soreness.
    “If you can't explain it to a second grader, you probably don't understand it yourself.” Albert Einstein

"Juice slow, train smart, it's a long journey."
    BG

"In a world full of pussies, being a redneck is not a bad thing."
    OB

Body building is a way of life..........but can not get in the way of your life.
    BG

No Source Check Please, I don't know of any.

Depressed? Healthy Way Out!

Tips For Young Lifters

MuscleScience Training Log

thats sounds good, ive been doing just 2 sets of either deds or squats about 5 reps before my normal training.....say shoulders and ive noticed a big increase in strength, i still think its 50% mental and 50% possible increase or flow of natural test. but either way im loving it!

Bigdog99 is offline Member
    "ive been doing just 2 sets of either deds or squats about 5 reps before my normal training....."

I hope you are going to add more sets.....!

I do on my leg days, ill do 4 sets of 5 reps for sqauts, keep it heavy.

dec11 is offline 'everything louder than everything else'
    Blog Entries
    im sooo glad my 1st gym belonged to a plifter, hardcore back street stuff, he set me on the right path from the start, my very 1st session included dlifts, love em!

Ahh nice dec, I wish someone had shown me the way when I started!!! Loving the gains at the moment.

Machdiesel is offline Anabolic Member
    I would say it has more to do with you growing a pair of balls and finally Squating/Deadlifting. Your vagina was prob raising estrogen to high, Now that you have balls you have more Testosterone flowing threw your body, thus making you stronger

WOW thanks Machdiesel, thats a great post, most helpful Mr Senior Member. Its a nice way to help/welcome a new member.

thanks gbrice, ive been doing dips and pull ups but as many as possible rather than weighted dips and pull ups should i strt them weighted from now on. its back and triceps day tomorrow and looking forward to see if weights need to be incresed like the other exercises hve. i shall report back soon!
    thanks everyone for all the great posts btw.
    It's great that you're already doing them as part of your program! I obviously don't know your strength potential; if you're doing them non-weighted and can only do 4-6 reps with perfect form, i'd say leave the weight off for now as that's a great rep range for both hypertrophy and strength building. If you're getting into the 10+ range, i'd def. add weight.

Either way, it'd be good to mix it up once in a while and add some weight to try and get 2-3 reps super heavy. I always like trying to hit multiple rep ranges to both keep the body guessing and stimulate all kinds of fibers. Hope this helps!

dec11 is offline 'everything louder than everything else'
    Blog Entries
    Ahh nice dec, I wish someone had shown me the way when I started!!! Loving the gains at the moment.
    yeah mate, i seen so many mates go to commercial gyms and just not receiving the same education at all! i rem 3rd time i went in2 the gym with lifting straps, they were promptly taken off me and binned, i now have agrip like steel lol

gbrice, i did 30 reps first set, 15 second, 13 3rd for dips.....think ill add some weights to them!!!

dec, thanks man im not using any straps or gloves or a belt and feeling my grip getting better every day.

also just an update on weights, at the moment when i do deadlifts i do 4 sets with the reps 10, 5, 1, 10 dont know if this is a good plan but its working well. my max dead is now 352lbs (160kgs) which im really happy with as that was only the 4th time ive ever done them. thanks again for all of your comments guys and keep them coming

senorsalt is offline Associate Member
    yea i agree with dec11 , if you have straps or any assistance with deadlifts get rid of em and build up that forearm wrist development. huge benefit in the long run.

noMuscles is offline Junior Member
    gbrice, i did 30 reps first set, 15 second, 13 3rd for dips.....think ill add some weights to them!!!

dec, thanks man im not using any straps or gloves or a belt and feeling my grip getting better every day.

also just an update on weights, at the moment when i do deadlifts i do 4 sets with the reps 10, 5, 1, 10 dont know if this is a good plan but its working well. my max dead is now 352lbs (160kgs) which im really happy with as that was only the 4th time ive ever done them. thanks again for all of your comments guys and keep them coming
    352 And it was only the 4th time you have done them?!?!

BEER WHORE is offline Member
    Good question

Nomuscle, I speak the truth! I don't know how its happened but I guess its probably a strong point of mine, my max is now up to 374lbs (170)kgs
    Bench press if finnaly getting stronger, was lagging a little compared to other lifts but happy with the increases happening now.
    Still gaining weight nicely and seeing some differences now. Also starting to see the b/f increase slightly but not too worried yet! Gonna keep the bulk going now.

bezzy is offline Associate Member
    Blog Entries
    nice thread!! squats for me starting this week i think!!

nice one bezzy, im seeing more and more gains coming from the big lifts strength increases size increases. just an update on my weight, cuttrntly at 171 lbs and still pretty lean, 170 was my frist goal having started at 158 so really please with the results and thanks to you guys that have helped with advice, keep up the good work.

Thread Information