Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    bodybuilder is offline Senior Member

White rice vs brown rice.

Whats the difference between white rice and brown rice. I have read in numerous bodybuilding magz that white rice is an ok source of carbs. Now i know gbrice you advocate the use of brown rice whats is the reason for this bro.

Lol wrong place can someone pleas move to diet section. Sorry

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    LB will probably argue this one, I know he's a big proponent of white rice. Brown rice is lower on the GI, albeit not by much. If that's not enough of a reason, brown rice is a whole grain and has nutritional value. White rice is pretty much stripped down and devoid of any nutrients whatsoever. It's just an empty carb.

tbody66 is offline Anabolic Member
    Somebody please tell me the right answer before I go to the store...White or Brown???

LBSOMEIRON is offline Banned
    I live and die by white rice. Many of the guys I train with do too.

Absolutely no difference.

Carb is a carb. Look at the gi index. It's almost identical (if you're into the glycemic index theory which also is bunk in my eyes).

tbody66 is offline Anabolic Member
    Probably a stupid question, but is instant different/worse?

White only comes in one type. Here you go. If you don't know who layne is, run a search. Thread ends/

Layne Norton: No, there is no reason one can’t have white rice, white bread, or the like when trying to lose fat. Most people are so concerned about the glycemic index of these foods that they don’t realize the glycemic index is only measured when a carb source is eaten by itself. If you combine the carb source with a protein, fat, and fiber found in a complete meal, the glycemic index is essentially blunted and washed out by the other foods. So if you want white rice, you can have it as long as you have some veggies and steak or chicken with it.

bigboomer is offline Associate Member
    Cant do white rice, makes me bloated. Brown rice taste better imo..

Quote Originally Posted by LBSOMEIRON View Post

Absolutely no difference.
    C'mon man, you know this isn't true. Maybe no difference in terms of affecting one's goals, but certainly a nutritional difference.

No physique difference...absolutely not. no way no how....I'm living proof.

Does it have more vitamins and fiber? Absolutely?

Ok..add 3 brocolli spears and a peanut to white rice = bang...now it's as good as brown.

ReX357 is offline "Toughest & Best Looking Guy Around Here"
    I prefer the taste of brown rice myself. Altho right now I'm using basmati which I don't mind too much.

lovbyts is online now Knowledgeable Member
    I think it's mostly taste. I use to THINK white rice was bleached untill I went to Thailand/Philippines and stayed with families who farmed rice. it's all natural. I know people who when they eat brown rice it gives them stomach ache but white is fine. Strange... it's all good for you as long as it's not processed in some negative form.

Not the best example, but an example nonetheless;

If you have a pup that gets sick, the #1 reccomended remedy is extra lean ground beef and white rice due the ease of digestion

Which is another reason I ALWAYS recommend it for anyone trying to put on size.

At 19, I gained a good 55lbs through college and I ate enough to see it in my sleep.

tembe is offline Member
    ppl get caught up alot on GI's

if you listen to dan duchaines interview he raises some great points about GI's and the fact that people make too much of them..

GI means zilch unless you eat a fasted, carb only meal and/ora diabetic/on slin.

As soon as you introduce fat/protein to a meal everything changes.

Calcium is offline Banned
    Brown rice has more Vitamin E, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Folacin, Potassium, Magnesium, Iron and over dozen other nutrients bud. Also the dietary fiber contained in white rice is around a quarter of brown rice.

stevey_6t9 is offline RIP Aziz "Zyzz" Sergeyevich Shavershian - Veni Vidi Vici
    White only comes in one type. Here you go. If you don't know who layne is, run a search. Thread ends/

Layne Norton: No, there is no reason one can’t have white rice, white bread, or the like when trying to lose fat. Most people are so concerned about the glycemic index of these foods that they don’t realize the glycemic index is only measured when a carb source is eaten by itself. If you combine the carb source with a protein, fat, and fiber found in a complete meal, the glycemic index is essentially blunted and washed out by the other foods. So if you want white rice, you can have it as long as you have some veggies and steak or chicken with it.
    so your saying if i combine my dextrose (high GI CHO) with protein, some EFA and fibre, the GI which is 100 will decrease??

GI means zilch unless you eat a fasted, carb only meal and/ora diabetic/on slin.

As soon as you introduce fat/protein to a meal everything changes.
    Then everybody leave me the F alone when I eat pasta! I'm eating it with lean ground beef, therefore the GI situation should be negligible! =)

Kiki is offline Associate Member
    Much prefer white rice. I think the rice debate is a little overblown.

calstate23 is offline Banned
    White and brown rice are virtually the same thing....It's the marketing companies that try to push the "BROWN" is healthier for you. People who don't know any better believe that brown rice is actually better for you...

People complain about the GI difference but the difference is so extremely minimal that it really wouldn't even make a difference..Same for the fact that people say it has MORE NUTRITIONAL VALUE is also pretty much bullshit...We're talking fractions of a margin here in fiber and magnesium which means nothing...We aren't worried about how much magnesium we are getting are we??

Look at the nutritional value on the box...If its low in fat and sugar, I EAT IT

This whole brown and white is completely blown out of proportion. People eat shit because it is brown and they don't even know why it is healthier for them. I laughed at my dad the other dad because he was eating "BROWN" bread and he thought it was "HEALTHIER" for him. I looked at the nutritional value and 1 slice had 6 grams of sugar and 3 grams of fat...I'd rather eat white bread with no fat and o grams of sugar..Hmm whats healthier??

well put calstate23

Swole-Brah is offline New Member
    doesnt it spike insulin levels I hear? Plus, I personally only try to consume white rice post workout after i've taken my protein shake and even still I take it with veggies / chicken or beef. delicious. brown rice is so much more grainy and I dont like the taste of it as much. however, I also hear it helps you stay "fuller" longer, while its white counterpart is easily broken down and doesn't curve hunger. but, why would you want to curve hunger if your bulking right?! MOAR WHITE RICE PLZ!

danielli is offline Associate Member
    .....add 3 brocolli spears and a peanut to white rice = bang...now it's as good as brown.
    ^^ Add 2 broccolis and a peanut!! Now that is funny stuff.

Its my opinion only, but if the nutritional differences are so small, just eat what you like better and forget about it.

SlimJoe is offline Banned
    i use to hate anything wholegrain then you become use to it and its normal when u think say of bread or rice you automatically think brown is your normal choice. but hell yeh i prefer brown due to its better qualities in nutrition

My reccomendation is for EVERYONE to eat brown rice.

THen, hopefully, they will reduce the price of white because no one will buy it.

MACHINE5150 is offline "AR's Vanilla Gorilla"
    i prefer white rice over brown.. Some times you can get a nice wild rice.. but white just blends in with food so much better

sambud is offline New Member
    like white rice over brown rice anytime of the day. But white rice make me fat quickly compared to brown rice. Just my observation

Quote Originally Posted by sambud View Post
    like white rice over brown rice anytime of the day. But white rice make me fat quickly compared to brown rice. Just my observation
    100% impossible bro....product A and product B - both have 50 cals....there is no possible way one will make you 'fatter' than the other......A rock and a feather fall from a a 10 story building at 10mph. Which hits the ground first?

Far from massive is offline Knowledgeable Member
    White rice is brown rice that has had the outer layers stripped away to reveal the innner white kernal. Stripping this brown layer strips 67% of the vitamin B3, 80% of the vitamin B1, 90% of the vitamin B6, half of the manganese, half of the phosphorus, 60% of the iron, and all of the dietary fiber and essential fatty acids. Fully milled and polished white rice is required to be "enriched" with vitamins B1, B3 and iron.

So if you want a dose of starch only white rice may be what you are looking for, if you want the rest of the grain then brown rice is the ticket. If you are the average American consumer and don't mind getting the cheapest forms of vitamins and minerals the enriched white rice is just the ticket you can wash it down with some calcified OJ....

Far from massive is offline Knowledgeable Member
    100% impossible bro....product A and product B - both have 50 cals....there is no possible way one will make you 'fatter' than the other......A rock and a feather fall from a a 10 story building at 10mph. Which hits the ground first?
    I know you are a freakin genious when it comes to bodybuilding and nutrition, and you may know physics too. But just to clear it up for anyone who does not know, that whole feather and rock thing gets misconstrued way too often, materials of different densities will only drop at the same speed in a complete vacuum, any air present will cause a different rate of descent.

Lol. Thanks for the compliment but i was really fooling around.

But my statement to get my point across was accurate.

If two of anything travel at the same exact speed (white v brown) and they start at the same exact place, they have to, 100% of the time, no exceptions, reach point b at the exact same time.

But I hear you brother. I know physics, but I'm def no genious.

rmalouf is offline Associate Member
    i always go brown rice....even though i look about the same when i do white rice..technically brown has more nutrients, and for me i guess its more of a mind thing...

sambud is offline New Member

LINK: http://diabetes.webmd.com/news/20100...hich-is-better

White rice has a higher glycemic index than brown rice, the researchers say. That index is a measure of how fast a particular food raises blood glucose levels, compared with the same amount of glucose.

“The high glycemic index of white rice consumption is likely the consequence of disrupting the physical and botanical structure of rice grains during the refining process,” the authors write. “The other consequence of the refining process includes loss of fiber, vitamins, magnesium and other minerals, lignans, phytoestrogens, and phytic acid, many of which may be protective factors for diabetes risk.”

Seriously?

White rice has a higher glycemic index than brown rice, the researchers say. That index is a measure of how fast a particular food raises blood glucose levels, compared with the same amount of glucose.

“The high glycemic index of white rice consumption is likely the consequence of disrupting the physical and botanical structure of rice grains during the refining process,” the authors write. “The other consequence of the refining process includes loss of fiber, vitamins, magnesium and other minerals, lignans, phytoestrogens, and phytic acid, many of which may be protective factors for diabetes risk.”
    I am very close to taking a hostage.....

EAT BROWN RICE....enjoy.....end of thread.

fig
    fig is offline Member
    Seriously?
    LMFAO

I eat white rice only and I'm ~11% bf. Have heard many times there is little to no difference.

RoidReaper is offline Member
    No difference, and white rice is much tastier, Brown Rice tastes like shit, hence its color.. lol

Yellow rice is the best

Dang when i first started this thread i never thought it would get this debatable.

RoidReaper is offline Member

I eat a bowl of white rice with 2 cans of tuna and drink a soda with it. lol i could care less about glycemic index. I spike my slin levels naturally

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information