Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Logan13 is offline Banned

Obama Bests Clinton in Primary Fundraising

It would seem that Obama has a true grass roots following, he had over 100K donars, 90% of whom gave less than $100 each. Also of note is that the Democrat candidates raised about $80 Million and the GOP candidates raised $50 Million. And you guys say that the GOP is the party of the rich.....

Obama Bests Clinton in Primary Fundraising
    ABC News
    April 4, 2007— ABC News has learned that the $23.5 million Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., raised for his presidential campaign for use in the primaries is more than that raised by the Democratic frontrunner, Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-N.Y.

Of the $26 million Clinton has raised in the first quarter of 2007 for her presidential campaign, approximately $20 million is to be used in the primaries and caucuses, sources told ABC News.

Clinton campaign officials cautioned that its campaign was still ascertaining how much of its $26 million raised is available for primary use.

Sources told ABC News that while that is accurate, roughly $20 million is designated for the primary — it could be slightly less or slightly more. Either way, Obama raised more primary cash than Clinton.

Newcomer Obama Bests Experienced Clinton

The remaining $6 million of the $26 million raised by Clinton is designated for use in the general election if the former first lady wins her party's nomination. Clinton also has slightly more than $10 million that she has transferred from her 2006 Senate campaign account.

Clinton has a distinct money advantage and leads in every national poll, but the fact that rookie Obama has bested a veteran like Clinton in many aspects of fundraising — he rasied $6.9 million on the Internet, for instance, compared with Clinton's $4.2 million — has stunned the political world.

"We're really humbled by the amazing outpouring of support," Obama told WLS Radio today. "It is broad-based — we did it without taking PAC money, without taking federal lobbyist money, so we feel really good about it."

Added a prominent supporter, Rep. Jesse Jackson, D-Ill., "This is a long road and a long process to the White House, but make no doubt about it, Barack Obama is driving the fastest car."

Individual Donors Put Obama on Top

Obama received donations from more than 100,000 donors, far surpassing any other candidate, including Clinton (50,000); Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., (45,000); former Sen. John Edwards, D-NC, (40,000); or former GOP Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney (34,000).

And 90 percent of Obama's donors contributed $100 or less, as opposed to the presumbed larger percentage of Clinton donors who contributed the maximum contribution allowed by law, $2,300 per person per voting cycle.

"That means exponential growth is possible for him in a way that is not available to Hillary Clinton right now," explained Democratic strategist Joe Trippi. "[The Clintons] were counting on blowing everybody out this first quarter and sort of, like, slamming the door."

"That didn't happen," Trippi concluded.

The reaction this evening from Hillary Clinton's top fundraiser — who has made it his career to raise political money — was: money doesn't matter.

"Ultimately, forget the money. You've got to get votes," said Terry McAuliffe, Clinton's campaign chairman. "And right now, Hillary wins in that category. She wins every single poll today."

Obama told WLS today that as far as he's concerned, Clinton is still the frontrunner.

"When your name is Obama, you're always the underdog," he quipped.

Prada is offline Anabolic Member
    Maybe the Dems just have more support thats all, which wouldnt surprise whatsoever at this point of time. Disenchantement is a b*tch at fundraising time.

mcpeepants is offline Senior Member
    hillary and obama may raise lots of money but they'll probably lose the general in a landslide. i'd like to live in the America that people are dreaming of where a black man or woman can run without having to worry about bigotry.

Quote Originally Posted by mcpeepants
    hillary and obama may raise lots of money but they'll probably lose the general in a landslide. i'd like to live in the America that people are dreaming of where a black man or woman can run without having to worry about bigotry.
    If they lose, perhaps it is becuase they were not the best candidates for the job. I do like Obama, although I disagree with alot of his policies, but he just doesn't have the resume to be President in 2008. Don't even get me started about Hillary........

Quote Originally Posted by Logan13
    If they lose, perhaps it is becuase they were not the best candidates for the job. I do like Obama, although I disagree with alot of his policies, but he just doesn't have the resume to be President in 2008. Don't even get me started about Hillary........
    They'll lose if the run a good or bad campaign, I personally think they're both running bdd campaigns. Obama is saying an subtance or how who is going to change America and is just riding on his likeability. Hillary will just pander to who's ever in the room and is always trying to triangulate issues.

I think people like the idea of voting for a women or a minority but when they hit that voting booth, those buried prejudices that the 13th, 14th, 15th, 19th amendments and the Civil Rights act can't remove will resurface.

Vinlander is offline Banned
    Hilary Clinton and Barack Obama not winning have little to do with bigotry.

Women simply will not support other women or go out of their way to do anything but backstab. That is the only reason you'll never see a female president; it's not about qualifications, it's about image for female voters and women are nothing if not critical of other females.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinlander
    Hilary Clinton and Barack Obama not winning have little to do with bigotry.

Women simply will not support other women or go out of their way to do anything but backstab. That is the only reason you'll never see a female president; it's not about qualifications, it's about image for female voters and women are nothing if not critical of other females.
    this makes me think of the movie Guess Who Coming to Dinner (the original). The dad proudly proclaims to be a liberal and progressive and supports the Civil Rights movement. He is excited to meet her daughters finance who is an Ivy league educated, well paid doctor. But when he see he's black, he freaks and turns all reactionary.

moral of the story, it's hard to get rid of internal prejudices.

I would like to live in the America where people don't use minority labels as crutches..........An America where the better qualified job candidates can get hired without the employer being labeled a "racist" because there were minorities who applied as well.

I would like to live in the America where people don't use minority labels as crutches..........An America where the better qualified job candidates can get hired without the employer being labeled a "racist" because there were minorities who applied as well.
    I would like to live in an America where better qualified minorities don't get passed over for jobs and promotions by underqualified members of the majority.

I would like to live in an America where better qualified minorities don't get passed over for jobs and promotions by underqualified members of the majority.
    The reverse happens much more often. Quotas must be filled, and these quotas do not include "heterosexual white males".......

The reverse happens much more often. Quotas must be filled, and these quotas do not include "heterosexual white males".......
    I'm not here to argue percentages just point out that just becuase a minority got hired or accepted into a school does not mean they were not qualified

Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    What quotas do not include "heterosexual white males?"

That's a pretty bold claim. Any numbers to back that up?

That's a pretty bold claim. Any numbers to back that up?
    This happened to my mother and sister and to many Africans we are friends with while I was growing up in NY. Happened to me less than my mother and sister probably due to me being a male.

No I don't have numbers to back it up.

You sound pretty bitter. Where do you live?

We have quite a few of those from the "bitter camp" here..........

Your judgement must be poor if that what you got from what I posted.

I'm currently in Colorado getting my masters degree in mechanical engineering

alphaman is offline Member
    You must not work in the real world, because I see the opposite ALL the time.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaman
    You must not work in the real world, because I see the opposite ALL the time.
    Well you must not be a immigrant from Africa because I've seen and experienced it many times.

And by the way, Obama isn't even black. He's 1/2 black at most.

And by the way, Obama isn't even black. He's 1/2 black at most.
    America basically follows one drop rule

Thread Information