Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    thegodfather is offline Dulce bellum inexpertis

Several Stabbed in Tokyo...(Dangers of a disarmed society)

For all of you bleeding heart liberals, democrats, and etc., who oppose the 2nd Amendment in some form. Here is a perfect example of the kind of tradgedy's that occur when the populace is disarmed. In Japan owning firearms is illegal, and in this case a man was able to kill SEVEN people simply by stabbing them with a knife. Guns do not kill people, people kill people. IMO, The human mind is the most dangerous weapon in existence.

__________________________________________________ ______________

7 dead in stabbing spree in downtown Tokyo By SHINO YUASA, Associated Press Writer
    Sun Jun 8, 6:15 PM ET

TOKYO - A man plowed into shoppers with a truck Sunday and then stabbed 17 people within minutes, killing at least seven of them in a grisly attack that shocked a country known for its low crime rate.

ADVERTISEMENT

The lunchtime violence in the Akihabara district, a popular electronics and video game area, sent thousands of people fleeing.

The assault, which occurred on the seventh anniversary of a mass stabbing at a Japanese elementary school, was the latest in a series of knife attacks that have stoked fears of rising violent crime in Japan.

A 25-year-old man, Tomohiro Kato, was arrested with blood on his face.

"The suspect told police that he came to Akihabara to kill people," said Jiro Akaogi, a spokesman for the Tokyo Metropolitan Police Department.

"He said he was tired of life. He said he was sick of everything," Akaogi said.

The violence began when the man crashed a rented, two-ton truck into pedestrians. He then jumped out and began stabbing the people he had knocked down with the truck before turning on horrified onlookers, police said.

Police confirmed seven deaths — six men and one woman — but they could not say whether the victims had died of injuries from the truck or were stabbed to death.

Reports said the attacker grunted and roared as he slashed and stabbed at Sunday shoppers crowding a street lined with huge stores packed with the latest in computers, electronics, videos and games.

"He was screaming as he was stabbing people at random," a male witness told national broadcaster NHK.

Another witness told NHK that the suspect dropped his knife after police threatened to shoot him. Amateur video filmed by mobile phone showed policemen overpowering the bespectacled, bloodied suspect.

The attack paralyzed the district known as Electric Town and sent thousands of Sunday shoppers into a panic. Amateur video taken five minutes after the rampage showed shoppers helping victims and a man screaming, "Ambulance, Ambulance!"

At least 17 ambulances rushed to the scene, and rescue workers feverishly tended to victims in the blood-pooled street.

As night fell on Akihabara, several pedestrians stopped by and prayed at the crime scene. A bouquet of flowers, bottles of green tea and incense sticks were placed at the site.

Japan boasts a low crime rate compared to other industrialized nations and Tokyo, with a population of 12.7 million, is considered relatively safe. But stabbings, once rare in the country, have become more frequent in recent years.

In March, one person was stabbed to death and at least seven others were hurt by a man who went on a slashing spree with two knives outside a shopping mall in eastern Japan. In January, a 16-year-old boy attacked five people in a shopping area, injuring two of them.

A spate of knife attacks also have occurred in schools, the worst on June 8, 2001 when a man with a history of mental illness burst into elementary school near Osaka killing eight children. He was executed in 2004.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080608/...B_T6QxVC6s0NUE

FallenWyvern is offline Senior Member

Coop77 is offline Senior Member
    Gotta disagree with you there. How many people do you think this guy would have killed if he had an assault rifle? I see this as a perfect example as to why gun control in a modern society is a good thing.

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    hahahah.. from the state (california) that invented drive by shooting..

the right to bear arms was intended to protect citizens from the Government imposing the will of the gov.. not idiots.. it's just evolved that we need to protect ourselves from people that are mentally ill, or those that intend a person physical injury.

In california (when i lived there) the published expected response time for emergency services in the event of a major earthquake 1-12 days.. good luck with that..
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

Quote Originally Posted by spywizard View Post
    the right to bear arms was intended to protect citizens from the Government imposing the will of the gov.. not idiots.. it's just evolved that we need to protect ourselves from people that are mentally ill, or those that intend a person physical injury.
    If crazed lunatics don't have easy access to guns, you'll have less need to protect yourself from them.

If this guy had a gun a lot more people would have been hurt. Before you try to argue if guns were legal in Japan somebody would have shot him.. most people don't carry guns around when shopping, even if they legally can, and I bet a crazy guy with an assault rifle can shoot a whoooole lot of people in a crowded shopping center before somebody shoots him.

soulstealer is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coop77 View Post
    If crazed lunatics don't have easy access to guns, you'll have less need to protect yourself from them.

If this guy had a gun a lot more people would have been hurt. Before you try to argue if guns were legal in Japan somebody would have shot him.. most people don't carry guns around when shopping, even if they legally can, and I bet a crazy guy with an assault rifle can shoot a whoooole lot of people in a crowded shopping center before somebody shoots him.
    thats a retarded statement sir

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/04/19/com...ent/index.html

its been show people actually prefer gun free zones for shooting rampages as they know noone who is a "law abiding citizen" would break the law by bringing their gun in but it doesnt stop the criminal.... so thats where all the shooting rampages happen sometimes stopped by people running to get their gun from their car or other legal place of possession.. and in cases where people go on shooting rampages out side of gun free zones are often neutralized in a matter of minutes instead of hours...

Let me ask you this Coop77... seeing as how the police response time at say a mall would be lets say 15 minutes.... and they wouldn't breach immediately they would asses the situation and wait for swat... so were going to say in excess of 45 minutes... it would make you more comfortable having bullets fly at you only for 45minutes instead of having them flying both ways trying to take this lunatic out?

inheritmylife is offline Anabolic Member
    I don't believe in gun control in any form whatsoever, but I don't think that people being armed would neccesarily discourage this sort of crime. These people are seriously ill, I don't think the thought that they could be killed in the process bothers them. Most of them end up killing themselves anyway.

Add to that most people will stand around watching and do nothing whatsoever, but I guess it only takes one person with some balls and a clear shot.

Quote Originally Posted by inheritmylife View Post
    I don't believe in gun control in any form whatsoever, but I don't think that people being armed would neccesarily discourage this sort of crime. These people are seriously ill, I don't think the thought that they could be killed in the process bothers them. Most of them end up killing themselves anyway.

Add to that most people will stand around watching and do nothing whatsoever, but I guess it only takes one person with some balls and a clear shot.
    Thats all... plus muggings and crime of that nature go way way down once someone considering this also has to consider they're most likely going to get shot at...

Quote Originally Posted by soulstealer View Post
    Thats all... plus muggings and crime of that nature go way way down once someone considering this also has to consider they're most likely going to get shot at...
    I hope that would be the case. I don't think we'll ever really get to test the theory with the current "laws" pertaining to the carrying of concealed firearms.

I hope that would be the case. I don't think we'll ever really get to test the theory with the current "laws" pertaining to the carrying of concealed firearms.
    But... with even the emergence of the recent "open carry" support one can see a decrease in violent crime as you never know who's around the corner or whom is the the coffee shop someones about to rob.... conceal carry being ideal of course but as you mentioned the so called laws designed for our protection will prohibit that so...(except of course for the explicitly licensed in certain states) open carry I feel has a very similarly positive effect in crime prevention....

But... with even the emergence of the recent "open carry" support one can see a decrease in violent crime as you never know who's around the corner or whom is the the coffee shop someones about to rob.... conceal carry being ideal of course but as you mentioned the so called laws designed for our protection will prohibit that so...(except of course for the explicitly licensed in certain states) open carry I feel has a very similarly positive effect in crime prevention....
    I think you're right, open carry could have a similar discouraging effect as ccw.

Here in Ohio, open carry has been found by the Supreme Court to be lawfull without any restrictions or licensing necessary, but they refuse to take action striking down local ordinances prohibiting it.

So, basically, if I carry openly, I'll still be locked up like a criminal, fined, and be relieved of my personal property permanently.

Even with it being a Right in Ohio, the system is so broken that it doesn't make any difference.
    Last edited by inheritmylife; 06-12-2008 at 06:39 PM.

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~

I carry mine..
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

Your argument ignores the equalizing effect that guns have. It is one weapon which gives an elderly lady a fighting chance against an attacker, regardless of the type of weapon they are using. Criminals will ALWAYS get their hands on weapons, be it guns, knives, bats, hammers, etc, etc... Pretty much any blunt, sharp, or heavy object can be used as a weapon. In addition just about any device capable of propelling things at a high speed can be used as a weapon. If you outlaw guns, the only peoples hands that you take them out of is law abiding citizens. In this case, this man used a large vehicle as a deadly weapon, and then used a knife to continue his killing spree. Whether or not he had a gun was really inconsequential, because if Japan had an instituted CCW policy, at least 1 or 2 people in that crowd of victims would have been able to meet force with equal or greater force. I contend that even if the man had a firearm, less people would have been killed because an armed citizen would have taken him down.

In addition, unfortunately for your argument statistics regarding CCW are in my arguments favor and not yours.

Let me ask you this Coop77... seeing as how the police response time at say a mall would be lets say 15 minutes.... and they wouldn't breach immediately they would asses the situation and wait for swat... so were going to say in excess of 45 minutes... it would make you more comfortable having bullets fly at you only for 45minutes instead of having them flying both ways trying to take this lunatic out?
    You're describing a scenario in which the attacker was able to obtain a gun and the law abiding citizens are unarmed. You're basically describing failed gun control. Consider these scenarios..

a) Absolute gun control (such as Japan) - Attacker has a knife/hammer/whatever because guns are unattainable. Law abiding citizens unarmed.

b) No gun control - Attacker has automatic assault rifle. A very few law abiding citizens carrying concealed handguns. All guns bought at Walmart.

Which crowded shopping center would you want to be in? "But criminals will find a way to get guns.. blah blah" They don't in Japan. Many countries make it really, really, really hard to get a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by thegodfather View Post
    Your argument ignores the equalizing effect that guns have. It is one weapon which gives an elderly lady a fighting chance against an attacker, regardless of the type of weapon they are using. Criminals will ALWAYS get their hands on weapons, be it guns, knives, bats, hammers, etc, etc... Pretty much any blunt, sharp, or heavy object can be used as a weapon. In addition just about any device capable of propelling things at a high speed can be used as a weapon.
    That's a good point, about the equalizing effect. I can see why carrying a gun makes people feel safer. But really, does it make society safer if everybody's packin' heat, like the wild west? Think of every super heated fight/confrontation you've ever observed, or been in.. every road rage incident.. What if everybody had a gun on their belt. Accidental discharges in public places, kids getting a hold of them, etc. Most people are dumbasses.

If you outlaw guns, the only peoples hands that you take them out of is law abiding citizens.
    Not if you do it right. Look at Japan. This guy couldn't get one. Shootings are almost non-existant in Japan. Maybe the mafia can get guns in Japan, but not your average mental case.

In this case, this man used a large vehicle as a deadly weapon, and then used a knife to continue his killing spree. Whether or not he had a gun was really inconsequential, because if Japan had an instituted CCW policy, at least 1 or 2 people in that crowd of victims would have been able to meet force with equal or greater force. I contend that even if the man had a firearm, less people would have been killed because an armed citizen would have taken him down.

In addition, unfortunately for your argument statistics regarding CCW are in my arguments favor and not yours.
    The pro-CCW statistics you're looking at are all statistics in the US, where gun control is half assed and criminals can get guns. Look at the crime rate of countries with strict gun control compared to the US.

That's a good point, about the equalizing effect. I can see why carrying a gun makes people feel safer. But really, does it make society safer if everybody's packin' heat, like the wild west? Think of every super heated fight/confrontation you've ever observed, or been in.. every road rage incident.. What if everybody had a gun on their belt. Accidental discharges in public places, kids getting a hold of them, etc. Most people are dumbasses.

Not if you do it right. Look at Japan. This guy couldn't get one. Shootings are almost non-existant in Japan. Maybe the mafia can get guns in Japan, but not your average mental case.

BULLSHIT

The pro-CCW statistics you're looking at are all statistics in the US, where gun control is half assed and criminals can get guns. Look at the crime rate of countries with strict gun control compared to the US.
    http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/...r-Shooting.php
    http://www.reuters.com/article/world...Name=worldNews
    Last edited by soulstealer; 06-13-2008 at 06:35 AM.

Flagg is offline Knowledgeable Member
    http://www.gun-control-network.org/GF01.htm

How many people die in America from gun related deaths each year, something like 15,000-30,000? For people to suggest they need to carry guns to defend themselves from people with guns is pure paranoia and ludicrous and beggars belief. Do you really think, that if this guy had done this in America, that every dirty harry armed with a gun would just blow him away, no fear of accidently hitting someone else instead? Seriously, compare other countries in the West to America and the figures speak for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Flagg View Post

How many people die in America from gun related deaths each year, something like 15,000-30,000? For people to suggest they need to carry guns to defend themselves from people with guns is pure paranoia and ludicrous and beggars belief. Do you really think, that if this guy had done this in America, that every dirty harry armed with a gun would just blow him away, no fear of accidentally hitting someone else instead? Seriously, compare other countries in the West to America and the figures speak for themselves.
    In the website you linked the graph depicts only deaths involving guns. Take Switzerland for example: there are more guns per capita than nearly anywhere in the world, so of course a greater percentage of total homicides are going to include firearms. However, the Swiss have a substantially lower overall rate of homicide, rape, robbery, or any other violent crime than the UK, a country with very few guns and a total restriction of firearms.

Violent crime rates in America are not a result of the right to keep and bear arms. They are a result of many other factors that aren't so easy to just pass legislation to get rid of. Violent crime in America is actuallyfalling despite more guns being owned than ever, not to mention the sunsetting of the assault weapons ban and the increase in concealed carry states.

According to the link in the post above this, Japan's shooting rate per 100k residents is 1/200 that of the US. I stand by my statement. The cases you found were very, very rare.
    Last edited by Coop77; 06-13-2008 at 09:23 AM.

How many people die in America from gun related deaths each year, something like 15,000-30,000? For people to suggest they need to carry guns to defend themselves from people with guns is pure paranoia and ludicrous and beggars belief. Do you really think, that if this guy had done this in America, that every dirty harry armed with a gun would just blow him away, no fear of accidently hitting someone else instead? Seriously, compare other countries in the West to America and the figures speak for themselves.
    So then you would propose that we disarm the entire populous and make sure the only the government and government agencies have firearms so as to what? create an authoritarian state? make the average citizen more vulnerable in their home? whats your motive?

According to the link in the post above this, Japan's shooting rate per 100k residents is 1/200 that of the US. I stand by my statement. The cases you found were very, very rare.
    http://www.davekopel.com/2A/Foreign/...le-Control.htm

Apparently non gun crime being equally as rare

Japans annual robbery rate being 1.8 per 100k per year
    US is 205.4 per 100k per year that being 114.11 times the rate per capita if we extrapolate that out one would conclude that societal differences make the impact on the rate of crime and not gun control...

http://www.bookmice.net/darkchilde/japan/crime.html

If you take a look at the page above specifically

The Japanese murder rate is about 1.1 per 100,000 people; West German has a rate of 3.9, Britain a rate of 9.1, and the U.S. 8.7 per 100,000 people.

we will see that a western society similar to ours except with extreme gun control laws has a higher murder rate then we do....

Peducho0113 is offline Senior Member
    http://www.bookmice.net/darkchilde/japan/crime.html

If you take a look at the page above specifically

The Japanese murder rate is about 1.1 per 100,000 people; West German has a rate of 3.9, Britain a rate of 9.1, and the U.S. 8.7 per 100,000 people.

we will see that a western society similar to ours except with extreme gun control laws has a higher murder rate then we do....
    2+...

So then you would propose that we disarm the entire populous and make sure the only the government and government agencies have firearms so as to what? create an authoritarian state? make the average citizen more vulnerable in their home? whats your motive?
    Motive? I'm not some secret government employee. The UK and Scotland had a gun amnisty a year or two back, that would be a good start! You seem to think owning a gun equates to freedom?? Less vulnerable in their home from what? America isn't the only place in the world where people have their houses burgled you know, and most people outside of America don't require a firearm to feel invulnerable in their house.

Motive? I'm not some secret government employee. The UK and Scotland had a gun amnisty a year or two back, that would be a good start! You seem to think owning a gun equates to freedom?? Less vulnerable in their home from what? America isn't the only place in the world where people have their houses burgled you know, and most people outside of America don't require a firearm to feel invulnerable in their house.
    I think owning a gun equates to assistance in the defense of ones liberty..... So your telling me you would feel invulnerable in your own home wielding a bat against someone with a hand gun?

I think owning a gun equates to assistance in the defense of ones liberty..... So your telling me you would feel invulnerable in your own home wielding a bat against someone with a hand gun?
    Most burglars in the UK dont enter the premises with a handgun, do they in America?

Most burglars in the UK dont enter the premises with a handgun, do they in America?
    Conceding that a portion do...... I reiterate my question... Do you feel comfortable bringing a bat to a gun fight?

Conceding that a portion do...... I reiterate my question... Do you feel comfortable bringing a bat to a gun fight?
    That's a ridiculous statement cause you are basing your paranoia that everyone is armed to the teeth. By the way, how big is this portion of American breakins? 70% 80%? Cause unless it's as high as that, saying you need a gun to protect from a possible armed break in is unrealistic. It's just perpatrating an ongoing problem.

That's a ridiculous statement cause you are basing your paranoia that everyone is armed to the teeth. By the way, how big is this portion of American breakins? 70% 80%? Cause unless it's as high as that, saying you need a gun to protect from a possible armed break in is unrealistic. It's just perpatrating an ongoing problem.
    I never said everyone was armed to the teeth but if 1 out of 100 breakins occur with firearms that 1% chance is great enough to warrant the owning of a firearm for ones protection! 70 or 80% would be required at 50% its not?! so you would feel comfortable knowing that 5 out of 10 times someone were to break into a home it would mean the homeowner most likely being shot and maybe killed defending themselves.... thats a ridiculous statement sir...

On top of that your saying law abiding citizens with legally owned and registered guns are perpetuating intentional gun violence?! again ridiculous! Your arguments have no basis in reality... and again you fail to answer my question!

Would you feel comfortable bringing a bat to a gun fight?!

P.S. I dont know how you perpetrate a problem perpetrate being the execution or "committing of" perpetuate must have been what you were looking for...
    Last edited by soulstealer; 06-13-2008 at 12:37 PM.

For those of you unfamiliar with US politics, let me explain. The founding fathers of our country wrote in several checks&balances on governments power. The various branches of government which had equal power, the legislative, judiciary, executive, etc. They are supposed to curtail one anothers power if one or the other ever becomes too abusive. These founders realised from looking at thousands of years of human history in politics, that even with such safeguards there were still ways that government could usurp its restrictions and become despotic in order to oppress the people. The 2nd Amendment, the right for the people to bear arms, was never really intended as self-defense against muggers and theives(although certainly useful as such), rather it was intended as the LAST CHECK&BALANCE against a tyrannical government. The founders realised that if a large percentage of the population was equipped with the latest military style/grade weapons that the government could never go back on the Bill of Rights and oppress the people because the people could over throw that government. The founders plagarized a great deal of material from John Locke, one such instance John Locke wrote that (off the top of my head), "governments are instituted among men, in order to serve their interests, and whenever such government becomes destructive to those ends, it is the peoples right, in fact their duty to throw off such government." In addition it was written, I think by Jefferson, that "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

If you want a good example of what happens when the populace becomes largely disarmed, you can look to England. Their violent crime rate SKY ROCKETED after firearms became illegal. In addition, New Labour, passed a huge number of laws which are completely ridiculous and oppressive to free people everywhere. They have more CCTV cameras on the streets than people, they are required to surrender personal medical information to the government, and one other such nonsensical law is that they can be arrested if they have too much trash in their trash can to the point that the lid wont close completely. They can use the judicial recourse, but they are playing on New Labours playing field, and by New Labours rules, so the game is rigged basically. Then what final recourse do they have? None, they just have to bend over, lube up, and take it !

For those of you unfamiliar with US politics, let me explain. The founding fathers of our country wrote in several checks&balances on governments power. The various branches of government which had equal power, the legislative, judiciary, executive, etc. They are supposed to curtail one anothers power if one or the other ever becomes too abusive. These founders realised from looking at thousands of years of human history in politics, that even with such safeguards there were still ways that government could usurp its restrictions and become despotic in order to oppress the people. The 2nd Amendment, the right for the people to bear arms, was never really intended as self-defense against muggers and theives(although certainly useful as such), rather it was intended as the LAST CHECK&BALANCE against a tyrannical government. The founders realised that if a large percentage of the population was equipped with the latest military style/grade weapons that the government could never go back on the Bill of Rights and oppress the people because the people could over throw that government. The founders plagarized a great deal of material from John Locke, one such instance John Locke wrote that (off the top of my head), "governments are instituted among men, in order to serve their interests, and whenever such government becomes destructive to those ends, it is the peoples right, in fact their duty to throw off such government." In addition it was written, I think by Jefferson, that "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

Which I believe It to be totally necessary as previously stated but for a long time the gun controllers have pointed at crime at the reason that gun control should be implemented with current statistics after approved open carry legislation even that contention can now be successfully refuted.. its become a joke...

If you want a good example of what happens when the populace becomes largely disarmed, you can look to England. Their violent crime rate SKY ROCKETED after firearms became illegal. In addition, New Labour, passed a huge number of laws which are completely ridiculous and oppressive to free people everywhere. They have more CCTV cameras on the streets than people, they are required to surrender personal medical information to the government, and one other such nonsensical law is that they can be arrested if they have too much trash in their trash can to the point that the lid wont close completely. They can use the judicial recourse, but they are playing on New Labours playing field, and by New Labours rules, so the game is rigged basically. Then what final recourse do they have? None, they just have to bend over, lube up, and take it !

Disgusting I recently read an article where a girl was fined something in the neighborhood of 120pound for putting her trashbin out 2 hours early the night before...
    I am truly scared as to what this world is coming to...

Washington, DC is another example of failed gun control policies.

Washington, DC is another example of failed gun control policies.
    Yes, failed in the sense that they dont support handgun ownership and conceal&carry for its citizens. Instead they have turned the city of DC into a criminal enbaling zone, and made the populace there easy prey for criminals.

Yes, failed in the sense that they dont support handgun ownership and conceal&carry for its citizens. Instead they have turned the city of DC into a criminal enbaling zone, and made the populace there easy prey for criminals.
    Handguns aren't banned in DC anymore actually. A federal appeals court overturned that law, citing the 2nd Amendment. First time in US history. Pretty cool.

Not that DC gunowners needed permission...

Handguns aren't banned in DC anymore actually. A federal appeals court overturned that law, citing the 2nd Amendment. First time in US history. Pretty cool.

Not that DC gunowners needed permission...
    Actually they appealed that and the decision currently lies with the supreme court scheduled for a ruling on the meaning of the second amendment..as in does it apply to the militia, the people, or both a very serious case.... being as I see the 2nd reading as both parties and the militia being the people it seems so ridiculous to me that we've even taken it this far...

Actually they appealed that and the decision currently lies with the supreme court scheduled for a ruling on the meaning of the second amendment..as in does it apply to the militia, the people, or both a very serious case.... being as I see the 2nd reading as both parties and the militia being the people it seems so ridiculous to me that we've even taken it this far...
    No suprise, but it may be better in the end. I'm no fan of the recent appointments to the supreme court, but I think they'll read the 2nd as a right of the people.

I think they uphold it.

CSAR is offline AR's Cunning Linguist
    This thread reminds me of why I don't believe most news stories and especially those that quote Japanese crime statistics and portray Japanese society as "harmonious".

Japanese culture is based on tatemae (the ideal) rather than on honne (the actual). So when you read about statistics or cultural information about Japan, take it with a big grain of salt.

Overall crime rates are low, because most crime in Japan is dealt with off the records. By simply apologizing and paying an adequate sum of money (hush money), the crime becomes nonexistent. Crimes against non-Japanese are often not reported as well, because only crimes against Japanese citizens actually count as crimes. On the other hand, crimes committed by non-Japanese are almost always reported. In this way, the Japanese government can continue to portray crime in Japan as the result of "dangerous foreigners".

Convictions are high because if you are suspected of a crime, the J-police can hold you in jail for 23 days without legal representation - you won't even get a phone call. During those 23 days, you will be subjected to mental and physical means of torture until you sign a confession typed up by the J-police. After that, they will charge you with the crime, but because you've already "confessed" there will be no need for an investigation, forensic evidence, witness statements, or criminal trial. You'll get your day in court....when the judge passes sentence.

I laugh every time I read that Japan is a peaceful country where people live together in harmony. This is tatemae at it's finest - Japanese desperately want to be viewed in the best possible light. And to them, tatemae is not lying because it is a core component of their culture.

Bottom line - don't believe everything you read coming out of Japan.

BgMc31 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CSAR View Post
    This thread reminds me of why I don't believe most news stories and especially those that quote Japanese crime statistics and portray Japanese society as "harmonious".

Japanese culture is based on tatemae (the ideal) rather than on honne (the actual). So when you read about statistics or cultural information about Japan, take it with a big grain of salt.

Overall crime rates are low, because most crime in Japan is dealt with off the records. By simply apologizing and paying an adequate sum of money (hush money), the crime becomes nonexistent. Crimes against non-Japanese are often not reported as well, because only crimes against Japanese citizens actually count as crimes. On the other hand, crimes committed by non-Japanese are almost always reported. In this way, the Japanese government can continue to portray crime in Japan as the result of "dangerous foreigners".

Convictions are high because if you are suspected of a crime, the J-police can hold you in jail for 23 days without legal representation - you won't even get a phone call. During those 23 days, you will be subjected to mental and physical means of torture until you sign a confession typed up by the J-police. After that, they will charge you with the crime, but because you've already "confessed" there will be no need for an investigation, forensic evidence, witness statements, or criminal trial. You'll get your day in court....when the judge passes sentence.

I laugh every time I read that Japan is a peaceful country where people live together in harmony. This is tatemae at it's finest - Japanese desperately want to be viewed in the best possible light. And to them, tatemae is not lying because it is a core component of their culture.

Bottom line - don't believe everything you read coming out of Japan.
    Where's the proof of this?

No suprise, but it may be better in the end. I'm no fan of the recent appointments to the supreme court, but I think they'll read the 2nd as a right of the people.

I think they uphold it.
    X2 but I have to say not being a fan is an understatement some of them have a twisted view of reality... but I agree If I remember correctly a majority of them are true supporters of the 2nd amendment could be a landmark decision... so I'm waiting in anticipation...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information