Thread: did mccain lie

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~

did mccain lie

BBC NEWS | Asia-Pacific | 'When John McCain was my captive'

'When John McCain was my captive'

Tran Trong Duyet - a sprightly retiree and amateur ballroom dancer - must rank as one of John McCain's more unlikely supporters.

Four decades ago, during the Vietnam war, Mr Duyet was in charge of the notorious Hoa Lo prison - the place where Mr McCain says he was brutally beaten and tortured during five-and-a-half years as an American prisoner of war.

"McCain is my friend," said 75-year-old Mr Duyet as he feeds the caged birds he now keeps in his garden in this coastal city.

"If I was American, I would vote for him."

Informal chats

Navy pilot John McCain was shot down during a bombing raid over the North Vietnamese capital, Hanoi, in 1967.

He ejected from his aircraft and parachuted into a city lake - only to be dragged out by an angry crowd, barely conscious, and with two broken arms and a broken leg.

From there he was taken to Hoa Lo prison, known to its American military inmates as the "Hanoi Hilton."

McCain has since described enduring months of solitary confinement and systematic torture which drove him to try to kill himself.

"I don't know how he'd react if he met me again," said Mr Duyet, flicking through old black and white photographs of himself and his American prisoners at Hua Lo.

"But I can confirm to you that we never tortured him. We never tortured any prisoners."

Mr Duyet reminisces instead about how he often summoned the future US presidential candidate to his private office for informal chats.

"We used to argue about the war - about whether it was right or wrong," he says.

"He is a very frank man - very conservative, and very loyal to his country and the American ideal.

"He had a very interesting accent and sometimes he taught me words in English and corrected my accent. I have followed his career since he left prison."

Rapprochement

So is Mr Duyet implying that that Senator McCain lied about his treatment at the Hanoi Hilton?

"He did not tell the truth," he says.

"But I can somehow sympathise with him. He lies to American voters in order to get their support for his presidential election."

But Mr Duyet's propaganda-perfect version of events is impossible to verify - and should be treated with caution in a country where the Communist authorities still keep a tight control over the media.

Relations between Vietnam and the United States have improved dramatically in recent years, following the normalisation of ties between the former enemies in 1995.

Mr McCain played a crucial role in bringing about that initial rapprochement - a fact which helps explain Mr Duyet's enthusiastic support for the McCain presidential campaign.

"I wish him success in the presidential election," he says.

"Of course the Americans started the war in Vietnam and killed so many people - but now we want to leave the past behind.

"So now I consider John McCain my friend because he did much to mend relations between our two countries. And if he becomes president he will do more to improve those ties."

The "Hanoi Hilton" is now a museum - containing McCain's air force suit

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    It's not real secret McCain sung like a ****ing canary in captivity. I think his name was "Song Bird" McCain
    ***No source checks!!!***

RA
    RA is offline Grade A Beef
    Lets see you be a tortured prisoner of war..then talk.

Quote Originally Posted by muriloninja View Post
    It's not real secret McCain sung like a ****ing canary in captivity. I think his name was "Song Bird" McCain

Chaotic is offline New Member
    What else is new, first he flip flops on "Bush Tax cuts" than he flip flops on "off shore Drilling",totally 100% reversing his view on the topics,this isn't a lie,more of a political move to get his base behind him,but in a way its been a lie,Obama unfortunately is no better! RON PAUL is the ONLY man that can change whats happening to America right now and in the future!

Quote Originally Posted by roidattack View Post
    Lets see you be a tortured prisoner of war..then talk.

No, I would just sing like a bird like McCain and be spared torture treatment.

I'm sure McCain uses this POW thing to his advantage in his campaign. But it is a fact he was a POW, and I can guarantee you its no cake walk, he gave up 5 1/2 years of his life, and I have served and there are a lot of people out there that like to comment on things like this, but have no experience whatsoever with it. I'm just saying respect the uniform and the veterans.

Quote Originally Posted by illwillogical View Post
    I'm sure McCain uses this POW thing to his advantage in his campaign. But it is a fact he was a POW, and I can guarantee you its no cake walk, he gave up 5 1/2 years of his life, and I have served and there are a lot of people out there that like to comment on things like this, but have no experience whatsoever with it. I'm just saying respect the uniform and the veterans.

I piss on McCain and his ****ing uniform. He is a ****ing piece of shit scumbag.

Vincent is offline Associate Member
    If Mcain doesnt get in we are in deep trouble. My two important issues as a small business owner are taxes and the secruity of the country. The Dems want to raise taxes and Obama doesnt have a clue about foreign relations. Let me give you a example. You are a middle class person just like me and work for a big corporation. You will save about 600.00 a year if you are middle class under obamas plan. what do you think the rich business owners are going to do when they have to pay close to 35% in taxes?????? They are going to cut jobs and no raises for noone for a long time. So you can shove that 600.00 up your ass. Im in direct contact with the rich on a daily basis and thats there plan. They will not lose but we will when you dems are crying like little bitches because you have no job. The world is blowing up and the liberals want to put someone in that cant make a decision about anything

BgMc31 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
    If Mcain doesnt get in we are in deep trouble. My two important issues as a small business owner are taxes and the secruity of the country. The Dems want to raise taxes and Obama doesnt have a clue about foreign relations. Let me give you a example. You are a middle class person just like me and work for a big corporation. You will save about 600.00 a year if you are middle class under obamas plan. what do you think the rich business owners are going to do when they have to pay close to 35% in taxes?????? They are going to cut jobs and no raises for noone for a long time. So you can shove that 600.00 up your ass. Im in direct contact with the rich on a daily basis and thats there plan. They will not lose but we will when you dems are crying like little bitches because you have no job. The world is blowing up and the liberals want to put someone in that cant make a decision about anything
    Way to resurrect a dead thread and post this in another thread! Great job!

Thread Information