Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 43
  1. #1
    wantmoremass's Avatar
    wantmoremass is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    387

    Obese have right to 2 airline seats: Canada court

    What the f&*k? I can't say I agree with this decision. Maybe fatties shouldn't fly until they can lose some weight.

    OTTAWA (Reuters) - Obese people have the right to two seats for the price of one on flights within Canada, the Supreme Court of Canada ruled on Thursday.
    ADVERTISEMENT

    The high court declined to hear an appeal by Canadian airlines of a decision by the Canadian Transportation Agency that people who are "functionally disabled by obesity" deserve to have two seats for one fare.

    The airlines had lost an appeal at the Federal Court of Appeal in May and had sought to launch a fresh appeal at the Supreme Court. The court's decision not to hear a new appeal means the one-person-one-fare policy stands.

    The appeal had been launched by Air Canada, Air Canada Jazz and WestJet.

    (Reporting by Randall Palmer)

  2. #2
    Ernst's Avatar
    Ernst is online now Borderline Personality
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    18,566
    That's okay, the airline will make up for lost revenue by increasing your ticket cost. Doesn't that make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside?

  3. #3
    jnewton86's Avatar
    jnewton86 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    The Shire
    Posts
    670
    lol, aint that the truth

  4. #4
    Indymuscleguy's Avatar
    Indymuscleguy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,041
    Quote Originally Posted by ErnstHatAngst View Post
    That's okay, the airline will make up for lost revenue by increasing your ticket cost. Doesn't that make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside?
    I travel for work approximately 40 weeks a year. I am getting slammed with all the extra baggage fees. If the airlines are basing the fees based upon weight for the extra baggage, then there should be a scale at the ticket counter for passengers.

    A 340lb passenger should have to pay double than I do at 170lbs.


  5. #5
    Fat Guy's Avatar
    Fat Guy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    So Cali. Inland Empire
    Posts
    1,273
    Awesome! Great court decision! Big people should not have to be discriminated against and this was a fair judgment. Don’t be hating on the big people! Andrea the Giant was a big guy who weighed 500lbs + and he would need 3 seats….

  6. #6
    Ernst's Avatar
    Ernst is online now Borderline Personality
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    18,566
    Next we'll have to widen the aisles and make special "fat people" seats. Oh yeah, you'll be footing the bill for that too.
    Andre the Giant had a hyperactive pituitary gland, and was not huge through any fault of this own. He absolutely should not be discriminated against for something beyond his control. The guy who needs two seats because he eats fast food regularly and has never exercised a day in his life, going so far as to ride around in a little scooter?....

  7. #7
    redz's Avatar
    redz is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    My HOME GYM
    Posts
    13,109
    A 340lb passenger should have to pay double than I do at 170lbs.
    But what if its Ronnie Coleman?

  8. #8
    spywizard's Avatar
    spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    In the Gym, if i could
    Posts
    16,362
    i can see the airlines requiring you to answer questions now before they sell you a ticket..

    and add on fees of over x = weight, or butt = 30" there is a up charge..
    The answer to your every question

    Rules

    A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.


    If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.

    Why the Police will Kick your ass

  9. #9
    liftohio's Avatar
    liftohio is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    25
    Theres no way that they will get two seats, they will just be shoved in more forcefully now. One person one fare, and they are going to try as hard as possible to fit them in one seat.

  10. #10
    SMCengineer is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    3,435
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Guy View Post
    Awesome! Great court decision! Big people should not have to be discriminated against and this was a fair judgment. Don’t be hating on the big people! Andrea the Giant was a big guy who weighed 500lbs + and he would need 3 seats….
    They weren't discriminating against anybody by charging an obese or larger person for the use of two seats if they in fact used them. It only became discrimination when the airlines were forced, by the courts, to pay for a lost seat instead of the person using them. It also became discrimination when the courts gave obese/large people special treatment over those who don't need the space of two seats. I suspect this might lead to actual discrimination against obese/large people, whereby, airlines start refusing to fly them at all.

  11. #11
    spywizard's Avatar
    spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    In the Gym, if i could
    Posts
    16,362
    and they have the nerve to charge me $15 for luggage stored in the cargo area..
    The answer to your every question

    Rules

    A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.


    If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.

    Why the Police will Kick your ass

  12. #12
    Phate's Avatar
    Phate is offline Got Diet? ~VET~ AR Hall of Famer~
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    10,940
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Guy View Post
    Awesome! Great court decision! Big people should not have to be discriminated against and this was a fair judgment. Don’t be hating on the big people! Andrea the Giant was a big guy who weighed 500lbs + and he would need 3 seats….
    andrea the giant had a pituatary disorder, he had no choice in the fact that he was big, these people are big because they have no self-control or choose to not use it

    i recently had this happen to my mother and i on a flight to arizona, my mom had window and i had middle, well the plane was crowded and the their were only a couple seats left, anyway, this HUGE lady comes over and instead of sitting with her family(or at least the people she was with) who are also overweight, she comes and sits by my mom and i, now this lady needed at least two seats so for the entire plane ride my mom was squished again the window while trying to study for her master's test(she's an OT) and i pushed against her with this lady's head on my shoulder since she decided to use me as a pillow because she couldn't sit normally because she was too fat so she turned sideways with her feet out in the aisle and used me like the backing of a recliner

  13. #13
    AdamGH's Avatar
    AdamGH is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    1,353
    a friend of mine told me when he travels by plane he has to purchase two tickets round trip. he is 6'3" 350 lbs. he used to be 450 lbs...

  14. #14
    rhino1's Avatar
    rhino1 is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Your GF's Hot Wet Snatch
    Posts
    2,219
    my quads and penis is so big i need 1 chair for each quad and one for my penis

  15. #15
    Fat Guy's Avatar
    Fat Guy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    So Cali. Inland Empire
    Posts
    1,273
    Quote Originally Posted by Blome View Post
    They weren't discriminating against anybody by charging an obese or larger person for the use of two seats if they in fact used them. It only became discrimination when the airlines were forced, by the courts, to pay for a lost seat instead of the person using them. It also became discrimination when the courts gave obese/large people special treatment over those who don't need the space of two seats. I suspect this might lead to actual discrimination against obese/large people, whereby, airlines start refusing to fly them at all. (I could see that going this way but the problem here is not the intervention by the courts but rather the false standard that has been created as what is considered obese.)
    Come on guys…

    What is considered obese today is a joke. The BMI formula is ridiculous and if you look at advertisement everyone should look like an anorexic Calvin Klien model to be “healthy”. According to what the “marketed” social norm that is being sold of “normal weight" is, most of us on this board would be considered obese by that standard.

    The “normal” body weight is being set by an industry that does not care about individuals / people (insurance, fashion/ textile, transportation, HMO, ect.) but is only motivated by maximizing profit and cutting cost.

    Which, in result, only creates a false group to blame that won’t necessarily oppose this discrimination because of self embarrassment and self loathing perpetuated by the media and advertising of some flase "healthy standard" created by business.

    This is typical of business / government to promote an agenda to create a scapegoat population. It’s very similar to the “war on terror” “war on drugs” and so on to create an enemy of out of a defenseless population. It’s like blaming the poor or sick for being poor or sick.

    So come on people don’t believe the hype and stop following what marketing is propagandizing to all the sheep out there. In other words… Wake up and don’t be so naïve.

    Think about this… every professional body builder, NFL lineman, most of the heavy weight strongman, most of the heavyweight powerlifters, and most of the heavyweight wrestlers would be considered obese according to industry standard. That means your heroes like Ronnie Coleman, Cutler, Yates, Haney, and yes even Arnold would all be considered obese. (I name these guys because they are all Mr. “O” winners and no other reason)

    and one more thing to all the fattie haters

  16. #16
    Fat Guy's Avatar
    Fat Guy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    So Cali. Inland Empire
    Posts
    1,273
    Quote Originally Posted by Phate View Post
    andrea the giant had a pituatary disorder, he had no choice in the fact that he was big, these people are big because they have no self-control or choose to not use it

    i recently had this happen to my mother and i on a flight to arizona, my mom had window and i had middle, well the plane was crowded and the their were only a couple seats left, anyway, this HUGE lady comes over and instead of sitting with her family(or at least the people she was with) who are also overweight, she comes and sits by my mom and i, now this lady needed at least two seats so for the entire plane ride my mom was squished again the window while trying to study for her master's test(she's an OT) and i pushed against her with this lady's head on my shoulder since she decided to use me as a pillow because she couldn't sit normally because she was too fat so she turned sideways with her feet out in the aisle and used me like the backing of a recliner
    That's just funny
    Last edited by Fat Guy; 11-27-2008 at 12:11 PM.

  17. #17
    Fat Guy's Avatar
    Fat Guy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    So Cali. Inland Empire
    Posts
    1,273
    Oh and BTW may all of you have a happy Thanksgivings day and eat as much as you want…

  18. #18
    SMCengineer is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    3,435
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Guy View Post
    Come on guys…

    What is considered obese today is a joke. The BMI formula is ridiculous and if you look at advertisement everyone should look like an anorexic Calvin Klien model to be “healthy”. According to what the “marketed” social norm that is being sold of “normal weight" is, most of us on this board would be considered obese by that standard.

    The “normal” body weight is being set by an industry that does not care about individuals / people (insurance, fashion/ textile, transportation, HMO, ect.) but is only motivated by maximizing profit and cutting cost.

    Which, in result, only creates a false group to blame that won’t necessarily oppose this discrimination because of self embarrassment and self loathing perpetuated by the media and advertising of some flase "healthy standard" created by business.

    This is typical of business / government to promote an agenda to create a scapegoat population. It’s very similar to the “war on terror” “war on drugs” and so on to create an enemy of out of a defenseless population. It’s like blaming the poor or sick for being poor or sick.

    So come on people don’t believe the hype and stop following what marketing is propagandizing to all the sheep out there. In other words… Wake up and don’t be so naïve.

    Think about this… every professional body builder, NFL lineman, most of the heavy weight strongman, most of the heavyweight powerlifters, and most of the heavyweight wrestlers would be considered obese according to industry standard. That means your heroes like Ronnie Coleman, Cutler, Yates, Haney, and yes even Arnold would all be considered obese. (I name these guys because they are all Mr. “O” winners and no other reason)

    and one more thing to all the fattie haters
    I fully agree with you. The "obesity epidemic" is widely overblown and highly marketable for the pharmaceutical and health food industry. In fact, I'm considered obese by many indicators, yet I'm only at 10% bf. However, I realize this point and I specifically said in my post, "They weren't discriminating against anybody by charging an obese or larger person for the use of two seats if they in fact used them." If a person is large enough to either take up two seats or take up one seat while rendering the neighbor seat unusable, they should in fact be charged for the use of two seats.

  19. #19
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Voice of Reason is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    1,054
    This guy shares your opinions in one breath: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=4a5_1227739196

  20. #20
    Odpierdol_sie!'s Avatar
    Odpierdol_sie! is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,368
    Yeah agree with this. Fat people are discriminated against all the time. They bend over backwards for people in wheelchairs.

  21. #21
    rhino1's Avatar
    rhino1 is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Your GF's Hot Wet Snatch
    Posts
    2,219
    Fvck FAT PEOPLE...get on a tread meal

  22. #22
    spywizard's Avatar
    spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    In the Gym, if i could
    Posts
    16,362
    actually, i'll agree to go to 155 lbs.. but not until the tax system is changed so these fat people are put in jail or work houses and have their children taken from them before they can create more poop making machines..
    The answer to your every question

    Rules

    A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.


    If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.

    Why the Police will Kick your ass

  23. #23
    MalibuD's Avatar
    MalibuD is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Cali
    Posts
    194
    Thats some funny sh*t I agree!

  24. #24
    MalibuD's Avatar
    MalibuD is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Cali
    Posts
    194
    The only place I think fat people should have rights is at the gym if theres someone skinnier than them on the treadmill they should be able to bump them off.

  25. #25
    Charger527's Avatar
    Charger527 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,259
    Quote Originally Posted by Blome View Post
    I fully agree with you. The "obesity epidemic" is widely overblown and highly marketable for the pharmaceutical and health food industry. In fact, I'm considered obese by many indicators, yet I'm only at 10% bf. However, I realize this point and I specifically said in my post, "They weren't discriminating against anybody by charging an obese or larger person for the use of two seats if they in fact used them." If a person is large enough to either take up two seats or take up one seat while rendering the neighbor seat unusable, they should in fact be charged for the use of two seats.
    ^^ agreed, if they use the seat or make it unusable they should be charged, also if they decide to get one seat and the plane is busy and the person next them cannot travell in comfort they should be asked to leave the plane or pay for another seat if there is any...

  26. #26
    Older lifter is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Living easy in Asia
    Posts
    2,243
    All i really have to say is "i don't want to sit next to one" call it what you want but i fly a lot and its bad enouth as it is without losing the armrest and having to spend the whole flight leaning sideways because there fat folds over to my side.....

  27. #27
    thndrgod33's Avatar
    thndrgod33 is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    290
    im not fat in the least bit, but i am a big dude, as i suspect most of us on here are, whenever i fly southwest, i do feel crammed, I normally try to get the emergency row seat, Im 6'3", I like my leg room. I dont think they should give fat people two seats, i think they should make the seats more roomy with more leg room

  28. #28
    Lemonada8's Avatar
    Lemonada8 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Read my blog
    Posts
    3,621
    Blog Entries
    2
    I completely DISAGREE with that court settlement... flying is a luxury... and if u do wanna fly pay for 2 seats... cause the MAJORITY of people arent that obese to need 2 seats... Im a big guy (6'5 240) and i have a hard time on planes, but i REFUSE to sit next to someone so fat that they over flow into my seat....

    if they are just tall and big and have trouble w/ their legs there should be a option to get a exit row where there is additional leg room... and that spot should be saved for those big people, not just the short people wanting more room...

    and those who are that fat can ride a bus....

  29. #29
    Older lifter is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Living easy in Asia
    Posts
    2,243
    Quote Originally Posted by thndrgod33 View Post
    im not fat in the least bit, but i am a big dude, as i suspect most of us on here are, whenever i fly southwest, i do feel crammed, I normally try to get the emergency row seat, Im 6'3", I like my leg room. I dont think they should give fat people two seats, i think they should make the seats more roomy with more leg room
    ^^^^^^ Agree, i have noticed that over the years the seats seemed to have gotten smaller, i too always go for exit seats, but still have a hell of a time trying to eat with elbows tucked in.... i just hate flying.......

    Oh one more thing i dislike, is when the exit seats are already booked, and when you walk past them you see that there are really small little dudes sitting in them. I'm not big big (6'1, 227lb) but man its hard in the normal seats
    Last edited by Older lifter; 12-02-2008 at 07:01 PM.

  30. #30
    Charger527's Avatar
    Charger527 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,259
    Quote Originally Posted by Older lifter View Post
    ^^^^^^ Agree, i have noticed that over the years the seats seemed to have gotten smaller, i too always go for exit seats, but still have a hell of a time trying to eat with elbows tucked in.... i just hate flying.......

    Oh one more thing i dislike, is when the exit seats are already booked, and when you walk past them you see that there are really small little dudes sitting in them. I'm not big big (6'1, 227lb) but man its hard in the normal seats
    Well the last few fights i went on in aus they actually charged extra for exit seats.

  31. #31
    Older lifter is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Living easy in Asia
    Posts
    2,243
    Quote Originally Posted by Charger527 View Post
    Well the last few fights i went on in aus they actually charged extra for exit seats.
    ^^^^ your joking.... never heard of that one, something new again....

  32. #32
    Charger527's Avatar
    Charger527 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,259
    Quote Originally Posted by Older lifter View Post
    ^^^^ your joking.... never heard of that one, something new again....
    nup sell it as extra leg room, so all the seniors snap them up nice and early, i have nothing wrong with that i just think its a joke they charge them more, its not cheap either i think it was an extra 30 or 40 dollars.

  33. #33
    Tock's Avatar
    Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Fort Worth
    Posts
    7,103
    OTTAWA (Reuters) - Obese people have the right to two seats for the price of one on flights within Canada, the Supreme Court of Canada ruled on Thursday.
    I wonder what their reasoning was. Seems to me, if Canadian airlines sell transportation from point A to point B, then comfort levels for that service can't be substantially greater for different people. But if they specify something like the right to occupy a seat of a specific size with a specific amount of legroom and headroom on an aircraft of a certain type going from point A to point B on a certain date, that's all that the airline should be required to provide.

    Yep, I'd like to see the reasoning in their written opinion . . .

  34. #34
    AandF6969's Avatar
    AandF6969 is offline Made Up Of Wires
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    5,387
    Dude, not only are they fat and spilling over into your seat, they're sweating and are all smelly. Can you imagine the last time they wiped their ass? It's physically impossible...

  35. #35
    thetank's Avatar
    thetank is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    im natty.no source cheks
    Posts
    2,165
    i wonder..would a huge jacked dude get the same treatment? i would sure as **** hope so. this is unbelievable. ah well. i guess the crazy obese people will pay extra for their flights in shame when everyone else on the plane is looking at them with resentment and disdain.
    i understand there is conditions, and obesity is sometimes a side effect of conditions that make it very hard to control. but bottom line, is most people who are morbidly obese, ate their way there.

  36. #36
    FallenWyvern's Avatar
    FallenWyvern is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,983
    Obesity is 100% genetics and not their fault.

    They can't help it that they lack the self control gene.

  37. #37
    Zino's Avatar
    Zino is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Monte-Carlo, Monaco
    Posts
    264
    Quote Originally Posted by FallenWyvern View Post
    Obesity is 100% genetics and not their fault.

    They can't help it that they lack the self control gene.
    poor fatties, they just cant do anything about it!

  38. #38
    MalibuD's Avatar
    MalibuD is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Cali
    Posts
    194
    I dont care how ****ed up your metabolism is, If you dont eat, you cant get fat. All it means is they really have to be careful of what they eat. It sucks but its the hand they were delt.

  39. #39
    jimmyinkedup's Avatar
    jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Scamming my brothers
    Posts
    11,286
    Blog Entries
    2
    i cant believe this thread got bumped..i just went on vaca to palm springs ca.anyway flight from atlanta to john wayne airport i get sat next to some guy ..had to be 350 no distinguishable muscle at all....full flight...anyway the fat bastard ...hanging over both sides of his armrest keeps trying to elbow his fat limb in front of my right arm ..not happening..he actually had the balls to complain to the stewardess saying i took up too much room ....she looked at me and rolled her eyes ..and told him the flight is full...he could ask someone to switch seats if he wants to otherwise he would just have to "hang in there" a couple more hours.... when i left plane the same stewardess thanked me for my patience...anyway i wanted to slap the fat bastard ..thats my rant....

  40. #40
    jimmyinkedup's Avatar
    jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Scamming my brothers
    Posts
    11,286
    Blog Entries
    2
    oh wait i forgot to mention the fat fvcks seat belt extension..priceless...how the hell can u take one of those ..then have the balls to complain that the guy next to you is taking up too much room.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •