Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Beetlegeuse

Thread: SoCal distrcict court kicks Mexifornia's magazine restrictions in the nards

Beetlegeuse is offline Knowledgeable Member

SoCal distrcict court kicks Mexifornia's magazine restrictions in the nards

District Court Permanently Enjoins California Magazine Confiscation Law

David Kopel | Mar. 29, 2019 6:52 pm

Magazines, California, Second Amendment, Duncan V. Becerra

California's statute to confiscate all magazines over 10 rounds has been permanently enjoined by the United States District Court for the Southern District of California. The opinion was written by Judge Roger T. Benitez.

Previously, Judge Benitez had issued a preliminary injunction against the confiscation law, and the preliminary injunction was upheld by the Ninth Circuit, as discussed in this post. Today's decision follows cross-motions for summary judgment, and makes the injunction permanent. The next step in Duncan v. Becerra will be an appeal to the Ninth Circuit by California Attorney General Xavier Becerra.

The 86-page opinion is the most thorough judicial analysis thus far of the magazine ban question. The opinion is founded on a careful analysis of the record, and thus provides an excellent basis for future appellate review on the merits, perhaps one day by the U.S. Supreme Court.

Covering all bases, the opinion analyzes the confiscation law under a variety of standards of review. First is the standard favored by Judge Benitez, what he calls "The Supreme Court's Simple Heller Test." In short, magazines over 10 rounds are plainly "in common use" "for lawful purposes like self-defense." Ergo, they may not be confiscated. The analysis is similar to then-Judge Kavanaugh's dissenting opinion in the 2011 Heller II case in the D.C. Circuit.

The Duncan opinion then examines the confiscation statute under various levels of "heightened scrutiny": categorical invalidation, strict scrutiny, and intermediate scrutiny. The confiscation statute is found unconstitutional under each of these standards....

If you're so inclined, following the hotlink in the headline would be the equivalent of tossing them a dog yummy.

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    I was pleasantly surprised when I read this the other day. I have to confess I didn't see it playing out in our (firearm enthusiasts) favor.

Not that it would have affected me in SC but the anti-gun lobby is a cancer that gets started and grows and grows and grows.

Gun control idiots get started and spot inaccurate information or flat out lies to the point of ad infinitum ad nauseum.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Speaking of Mexifornia appeals courts, Trump45 is on track to have seven justices approved to Mexifornia's infamous 9th Circus court, which consistently makes the most bat-shit crazy rulings in the country. Trump's seven will make a total of 12 Republican-appointed judges out of 29 total. 12 out of 29 isn't great but it's a damn sight better than 5 out of 29 was.
    almostgone likes this.

Okay, tighten your wig before you read this. Maybe wrap your head in duck tape, too.

The same judge who struck down the magazine ban ...has stayed HIS OWN INJUNCTION.

So he's banned his ban on bans.

Is this not the textbook definition of bat-shit crazy?

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Beetlegeuse View Post
    Okay, tighten your wig before you read this. Maybe wrap your head in duck tape, too.

The same judge who struck down the magazine ban ...has stayed HIS OWN INJUNCTION.

So he's banned his ban on bans.

Is this not the textbook definition of bat-shit crazy?
    Politics at it's wackiest.....f-in disgusting.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Thread Information