Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Squatman51 is offline Senior Member

any1 do olympic lifts???

anyone do olympic lifts to help with your explosiveness??? Does it help you in powerlifting?

powerliftmike is offline ~Elite AR-Hall of Famer~
    I dont train them, mainly cause my technique sucks. Haha. They will build explosive power and should raise your DL and SQ. You may want to stick to power cleans and not full clean and jerks.

Phildude is offline Junior Member
    I am confused because it seems everything I look up explains them in different ways.

Power cleans: This is just where you pick it up like deadlift, then clean it to your shoulders, then put it back down by your knees, and back to the ground, then rinse, lather, and repeat. Right?

powerliftmike is offline ~Elite AR-Hall of Famer~
    Quote Originally Posted by Phildude
    I am confused because it seems everything I look up explains them in different ways.

Power cleans: This is just where you pick it up like deadlift, then clean it to your shoulders, then put it back down by your knees, and back to the ground, then rinse, lather, and repeat. Right?
    A power clean is a clean to your shoulders then drop it (gym owners love this, lol). Its not an olympic lift but its similar and olympic lifters train it alot.

Thanks for the help PLMike.

Squatman51 is offline Senior Member
    [QUOTE=powerliftmike]A power clean is a clean to your shoulders then drop it (gym owners love this, lol). QUOTE]

hahahah

Velkar182 is offline Banned
    If you want to try something new to increase your bench, try push presses. I do olympic style training twelve wks a year. I found that clean and jerks made my DL and bench go up. SO I tried push presses in my pre cyle before preparing for a meet. (I trained olympic style because I toyed with competing in a weightlifting meet. I am nuts about strength athletics!) My bench was stuck at 457 two years ago and push presses tore down the plateau.

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    Quote Originally Posted by Squatman51
    anyone do olympic lifts to help with your explosiveness??? Does it help you in powerlifting?
    power cleans form the floor olympic style really help your deadlift alot, worked wonders for me, ithe snatch is a a waste IMO for powerlifting.the cleans help alot with your speed and initial pull in the dead. took me form a 560 dead to over 600 raw at 181 with no drugs in less than half a year,kep them light,i started to get goofy with them and was doing sets with 225lbs and above , that was to much work to add into all the work i was doing for the squatsand deads,, keep it light, about 30% of your current dead max is in the ballpark

xmenWolverine is offline Junior Member
    always do power cleans and snatchs first as these exercises wear down the central nervous system. you have to be explosive on the second phase of these lifts otherwise you end up using the upper body instead of the legs.

Whether it helps in power lifting i would say no.
    I would say plyometrics would help your squat be more explosive.

olympic lifts are like plyometrics, it does help your powerlifts, trust me

Would it be beneficial to do an olympic lifting routine for a bit then come back to powerlifting? I am really eyeing the olympic lifts I like them a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Phildude
    Would it be beneficial to do an olympic lifting routine for a bit then come back to powerlifting? I am really eyeing the olympic lifts I like them a lot.
    i tried that years ago, it is better to combine them with the powerlifts, do the olympic lifts before you do the powerlifts, not after.the snatch didnt do much for me, the clean did the most .also i occasionaly did the jerk with the clean, but it didnt really do much for the pwerlifts either.when i did the olympic training only, and didnt do any powerlifts, my squat and dead numbers didnt increase,my speed did and i noticed it was easier to go even lower in the squat and i was more prone to ge deeper than normal with all my reps

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc.Sust
    i tried that years ago, it is better to combine them with the powerlifts, do the olympic lifts before you do the powerlifts, not after.
    Ditto.

I read a study that noted that explosive 'full body' exercises prior to a multi-joint exercise increases net force.

I use hang cleans or full cleans before militaries or deadlifts.

It helped me to increase both.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc.Sust
    the snatch didnt do much for me, the clean did the most .also i occasionaly did the jerk with the clean, but it didnt really do much for the pwerlifts either.when i did the olympic training only, and didnt do any powerlifts, my squat and dead numbers didnt increase,my speed did and i noticed it was easier to go even lower in the squat and i was more prone to ge deeper than normal with all my reps
    I noticed that executing a multi-joint exercise for an acclimation rep of two prior to the set increased my explosive strength.

Exmaple.. Before squatting i would do an explosive deadlift.. no weight.. just rapid firing of my glutes and hams.

Then i'd go do a set of squats...

I was better able to explosively recruit muscles in this manner.

Hope that assists

Nark

Quote Originally Posted by Narkissos
    Ditto.

I read a study that noted that explosive 'full body' exercises prior to a multi-joint exercise increases net force.

I use hang cleans or full cleans before militaries or deadlifts.

It helped me to increase both.

I noticed that executing a multi-joint exercise for an acclimation rep of two prior to the set increased my explosive strength.

Exmaple.. Before squatting i would do an explosive deadlift.. no weight.. just rapid firing of my glutes and hams.

Then i'd go do a set of squats...

I was better able to explosively recruit muscles in this manner.

Hope that assists

Nark
    yes the explosive movement of a similar motion to the one you want to execute to max ability will aid huge in muscle recruitment and overall speed.speed is a key component in the Plifting world. strength x speed = power!

j3374 is offline Associate Member
    I'm taking lessons for the Olifting at a special gym to get the technique down.

Thread Information