mas-polloxxx is offline Junior Member

bench shirt sizing

this is my first time using a shirt for bench,not sure if I have the right size. I used the sizing chart from inzer, . . .shirt is the rage size 48. sleeves came to just below elbows, pits were barely snug. my raw bench is 315, with the shirt I threw on 225, the bar came down 3-4 inches. 315 the bar came down 4-5 inches, nowhere close to my chest. does this sound normal? its tight as f^&k on my chest and tore up back of my upper tri, i could care less about, but i want to know if my sizing sounds way off, or ok. how long could it take before the bar can travel to my chest.
    thanks

quarry206 is offline Senior Member
    i will be honest i have never used a shirt so i'm not sure about too much.. but..

there was a post on here if u search i don't remember what it was under from about six to seven months ago where a few of the guys talked about new bench shirts and sizing.. and what you are saying sounds normal for a new shirt. i believe there addive was to wet it. but best to search for the old post, its somewhere on here

Tony Q is offline Junior Member
    You need to tuck your elbows and bench towards your belly. Drive the bar back when you press... I compete at 198 and a 48 is a good fit for me... Benching with a Rage X is NOT the same as raw benching. Not even close...

THE_FREAK is offline New Member
    i agree with tony Q benching with a shirt is a lot different. i have been using my 48 rage for about 2 months and i am still about an inch off my chest (shirt is a size to small need a new one) i do suggest learning the form before you put to much weight on the bar to prevent injuries and from personal experience chalk up your hands a least for me the new form was hard on my grip and i had a close call when the bar slipped off my palm.
    i learned the form from reading the post on this site and watching videos of the pro's at competitions.
    my form is shoulder blades squeezed together feet back with heel maybe an inch at the most off the ground (i feel i get more of a leg drive this way) and my back arched and my head lifted off the bench (not sure completely why but it seems to help me get the bar lower to my stomach)

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    that is how you want a bench shirt to fit, sounds like it is sized perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Q View Post
    You need to tuck your elbows and bench towards your belly. Drive the bar back when you press... I compete at 198 and a 48 is a good fit for me... Benching with a Rage X is NOT the same as raw benching. Not even close...
    that 48, is it double or single ply??

mas-polloxxx is offline Junior Member
    ok, thanx for the input.

mine is a single ply.
    I've read something about wetting the shirt to help break it in. is this effective?
    do i spray the stressed areas before lifting

Quote Originally Posted by Doc.Sust View Post
    that 48, is it double or single ply??

Quote Originally Posted by mas-polloxxx View Post
    ok, thanx for the input.

mine is a single ply.
    I've read something about wetting the shirt to help break it in. is this effective?
    do i spray the stressed areas before lifting
    the wetting does help. spray the seems and the collar, also board presses help a lot, use boards until you can touch and even after you can touch keep working your weak points with the board presses. single ply is easy tolearn,a lot easier than double, give it time and you will figure it out, find someone who has some shirt exeperience and train with them. that is how i learned

Thread Information