Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: fat and powerlifting

Conrad0032 is offline New Member
    Lol this thread gave me a kick. Powerlifting a lazy man's routine hahahaha XD Oh God. Powerlifting is far more difficult than bodybuilding mentally and physically if you ask me. And don't even get me started with Strongman, that's in a league of it's own haha. I would love to write a long ass response to all of Brad's comments, but I feel I'd be redundant with what others have already said.

bwilly is offline New Member
    I compete in powerlifting and also have 20 mma fights along with kickboxing and muay thai.. yeah im pretty fat and outta shape

hankdiesel is offline Knowledgeable Member
    valentino was not talking about competitive powerlifters I don't believe. I think he was referring to the dudes who walk around the gym looking out of shape year-round who call themselves powerlifters. Most of them just bench. They do their 1 rep max every Monday, eat pizza afterwards, and brag about how much they weigh. When asked about the bellies they say "I'm a powerlifter bro." That is what I think he meant.

awol is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MastaMan View Post
    i don't think it's for lazy fat lifters, because they do have weight classes so you really have to work on your power to weight ratio
    This.

Younggymrat is offline Junior Member
    Bodybuilders are pussies...end of story.

largerthannormal is offline Productive Member
    This post is 8 months old..................................

Clarkkent575 is offline Banned
    Typically airs on ESPN late night. I am not fat or slim I am kinda chubby but I want to be stronger so I am interested in powerlifting. The pro lifters do look rather fat just really fat and tall and I also agree with your statment about weighting 400 pounds or so and squatting 700. I judge a mans strength by bodyweight to lift ratio and most powerlifters I have to admit are shit.

SEOINAGE is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clarkkent575 View Post
    Typically airs on ESPN late night. I am not fat or slim I am kinda chubby but I want to be stronger so I am interested in powerlifting. The pro lifters do look rather fat just really fat and tall and I also agree with your statment about weighting 400 pounds or so and squatting 700. I judge a mans strength by bodyweight to lift ratio and most powerlifters I have to admit are shit.

Way to resurrect an old thread.

With that said there are a ton of top level powerlifters that are probably much lower body fat than you are. A lot of people that don't really train etc don't realize how high a bf percent they carry. Your typical skinny chubby person can get away with it, but as soon as a person puts on more muscle having the same bf percentage will look worse since they are just bigger.

Also body weight to lift ratio is only so so, if some kid can deadlift 4 times is body weight but is only deadlifting 400 lbs I could care less, it isn't near as impressive as someone that can deadlift close to 1000 lbs. If you have to carry body fat to be able to achieve elite status than so be it, genetics actually plays a bigger factor in this than you think. And try getting stronger without sufficient calories to recuperate and make progress, happens at a snails pace if you are constantly worried about abs without letting them slide for periods.

OnTheSauce is offline Banned
    Jesse norris comes to mind. 19yr phenomenon

ElectraMaddox is offline Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hankdiesel View Post
    valentino was not talking about competitive powerlifters I don't believe. I think he was referring to the dudes who walk around the gym looking out of shape year-round who call themselves powerlifters. Most of them just bench. They do their 1 rep max every Monday, eat pizza afterwards, and brag about how much they weigh. When asked about the bellies they say "I'm a powerlifter bro." That is what I think he meant.
    That would be a perfect commercial for planet fitness
    yosimitesam likes this.

m_donnelly is offline Associate Member
    I've been training for a long time and very few workouts kick my ass more than a Westside Barbell speed squat routine. Crush those sets out and then go hammer your hamstrings and lower back with deadlifts, RDLs, hyper extensions, good mornings, leg curls, reverse hypers, etc... It makes for a helluva workout. Oh yeah, and toss some plyo work in there for good measure.

I've trained with powerlifters and bodybuilders and I can tell you one thing; the guys that competed in both were animals.

John Andrew is offline Member
    I could be so rude but I will refrain. My training partner and I only ever found one group of athletes who could keep up with our squat routines and they were all members of the New Zealand All Blacks. They still could not go heavy enough!!

I still train, now alone, last good workout I had was with an ex Mr Australia.

Bodybuilders and power lifters, 90% last a couple of years. For just some of us its a lifetime passion and to read bullshit is distressing.

I was 50 and injured before I used steroids and I am stronger today than ever.

Whatever else you may say we do progressive resistance training. That means more weight , more reps, less time. Before a meet I trained twice a day 6 days a week. 3 hours a session. I played A grade squash.

Spending 3 hours in the gym, and 2 hours looking in the mirror, needing steroids cos you are stuck after 2 years training! All bullshit. Now I am 57, I will be stronger next year. My only goal ever was to be the best I could be.

We all have our personal views and ambitions, don't mock anybody! John

John Andrew is offline Member
    Brad, I hate to point out you are only semi literate. your spelling is atrocious and your grammar is poor. You do not even use punctuation marks.

Maybe you are a good trainer, I have no way to know but seems to me you have upset a lot of people. Power lifters come in all shapes and sizes. It is a lot easier to win in the heavy divisions, they have strength but little else. However my friend; I have mates a lot lighter than you who bench over 225kgs. At 75 kgs. they squat near 300. dead lift the same. I normally train for 3 hours and leave young men spewing in the toilet if they try to keep up! Before a comp I will double that training and do it 6 days a week.

Unlike some bodybuilders I do not need a hospital after a comp! Just a weeks rest. Every body has the right to do what they want to achieve their goals.

Good luck to everybody. John

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information