OnTheSauce is offline Banned

Less than 2 weeks out... advice

Got my first competition on Dec 17, 2011. I don't have to drop weight or anything as I'm actually under right now anyway. I'm doing deadlifts only. Should i cut out all training the week before, 3 or 4 days before or what time frame? Can i still do my chest/arm workouts like dips and bench? Should i modify my diet any? Sorry if they are noob questions, but again, this is my first competition.

gearbox is offline Knowledgeable Member
    i would like to know the answer also..I would shoot dec11 a pm if he doesnt respond in a day! He has done may comps! I know he once told me only dead once every two weeks, two much strain on lower/whole body...

gearbox is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Does it go by weight classes or age> whats your class and weight

both. uspla has mens junior classes and weight. im in 20-23 198lb class.

jypoll is offline Member
    i personally dont like to exert any energy w/in 3-5 days, i may do very light training 1 week out, and the last 5 days i sit on the couch and watch tv. maybe some powerlifting vids to get me excited. after 1 week out the only thing you can do is watch what you eat, since ur under that isnt a problem for you, and also prepare yourself mentally. Your contest isnt for 11 days so you can do some medium level workouts for the next couple days, then keep it easy. Even if your only doing deadlift dont bother training your bench if it is going to make you sore or take energy.

Alright, I won't train at all after Saturday. Just keep eating a ton. I was told to bump my carb intake WAY up during the last week since I don't have to worry about making weight

jypoll is offline Member
    yea i would suggest carb load, unless you are concerned about your wilks, then water loss procedure would be beneficial.

wilks?

jypoll is offline Member
    wilks score, is calculated using weight lifted and bodyweight. Its like body weight % but since straight % is unfair as it is easy for lighter lifter to lift against their bodyweight than a heavier one, so it is adjusted. This way lifters from different weight classes can compete against each other.

nope, dont care. lol

dec11 is offline 'everything louder than everything else'
    Blog Entries
    work up to your intended 2nd lift via low reps and singles as it gets heavier. nothing for 5 days before the comp

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jypoll View Post
    yea i would suggest carb load, unless you are concerned about your wilks, then water loss procedure would be beneficial.
    water depleting is a bad idea and i'd strongly advise against it if you want to perform at 100%, weight and approp diet to stay at that weight is something that is worked out way beforehand and with experience.

he has already said weight isnt a factor to him

On very strict form, I did a ton of deads today at 405. Felt pretty good. Then did some 2" deficit deads with 315 for like 5 sets. 5 sets of squats at 275, then worked up to singles; went up to 405. Legs are destroyed. Next Monday I'll do the same thing, then take the last 5 days completely off.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by patrick4588 View Post
    On very strict form, I did a ton of deads today at 405. Felt pretty good. Then did some 2" deficit deads with 315 for like 5 sets. 5 sets of squats at 275, then worked up to singles; went up to 405. Legs are destroyed. Next Monday I'll do the same thing, then take the last 5 days completely off.
    i wouldnt go tht hard, you arent going to gain anything more at this stage, you're just risking injury for nothing, def dont squat, its an unnecessary risk. work up to your intended 2nd lift in as little reps as possible, trust me.

pre comp is all about peaking over a 6-8wk period, not about doing crazy reps

ok. and say day of the competition... any certain meals better than others? im probably just over thinking this....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by patrick4588 View Post
    ok. and say day of the competition... any certain meals better than others? im probably just over thinking this....
    just fuel up how would before a training session and keep simple carb drinks to hand

jypoll is offline Member
    During comp day just have as much water, simple carbs, and salt as possible.

Blog Entries
    During comp day just have as much water, simple carbs, and salt as possible.
    why? salt will dehydrate in large quantities, not what anyone wants on a comp day.

what is your exp in plifting?

jypoll is offline Member
    electrolytes, however that is spelled are important when exercising. Gatorade powerade or any sports drink, is water sugar and salt, three most important things during exercise. Atleast for me I usually drop water before a meet so after weigh-in i pound the salt. Salt holds water, even in this case, where water is not being dropped salt is still needed. During a comp im sure you will sweat a fair amount and therefore lose salt. If you are drinking adequate amounts of water there will not be an issue with dehydration.

Blog Entries
    electrolytes, however that is spelled are important when exercising. Gatorade powerade or any sports drink, is water sugar and salt, three most important things during exercise. Atleast for me I usually drop water before a meet so after weigh-in i pound the salt. Salt holds water, even in this case, where water is not being dropped salt is still needed. During a comp im sure you will sweat a fair amount and therefore lose salt. If you are drinking adequate amounts of water there will not be an issue with dehydration.
    yeah, but i wouldnt advise consuming 'as much salt as possible'

The Bishop is offline Banned

Thread Information