hankdiesel is offline Knowledgeable Member

First meet today

I am 3 weeks out from a bodybuilding show. I two one two weeks ago also. My strength is up though and I feel good. Me and a dude I train decided to enter a local bench/deadlifting comp. I just entered the deadlift. I was in the 198lb class and pulled 580. That tied me for 1st place. It went well and I thought I would share that. It was fun and I plan on doing it again.

John Andrew is offline Member
    Well done, That's a great start, I hope next time you try a full event. You will get plenty of help and there are so many bodybuilders who power lift. Its great when you are bulking. Every serious bodybuilder I know is strong enough to compete well. Normally the back is the weak link but that' does not seem your problem, power lifting will help you in all areas. Good Luck

Ya dude. I definitely see myself doing more events. This one was just deads and presses. I didn't do the presses cause I didn't want to risk hurting my shoulder 3 weeks before my bodybuilding competition.

gearbox is offline Knowledgeable Member
    great job bro...keep it up.

was the press just standard bench press? what would you have tried to hit at 198

Quote Originally Posted by gearbox View Post
    great job bro...keep it up.

was the press just standard bench press? what would you have tried to hit at 198
    They had suited and raw bench press. I probably would've opened for 315, then 340, and see how that felt and went from there. I never benched like that before though. Resting it on your chest for a second before driving it back up. I also don't arch my back like them. I'm going to learn the proper technique from some powerlifters at my gym before I do another meet. Some day I want to do a full meet. I can squat 405 x 10 but again it's not the way they do it. I think I may be slightly above parallel which is good by bodybuilding standards but not going to cut it at a meet.

OnTheSauce is offline Banned
    looks like i have some competition in the 198lb class.

gearbox is offline Knowledgeable Member
    thanks hank and good luck at your next meet. keep us posted

@ pat- yes i was thinking the same thing..

OnTheSauce is offline Banned
    I'm back on the fun stuff now, got a log going... hopefully knock out a 650 pull soon

Quote Originally Posted by patrick4588 View Post
    I'm back on the fun stuff now, got a log going... hopefully knock out a 650 pull soon
    I'm at the tail end of a precontest cycle for a bodybuilding show right now. What does your cycle look like for powerlifting if you don't mind laying it out? It may be close to mine.

Thread Information