zivot is offline Junior Member

I started the "Magnusson/Ortmayer routine", help with reps.

So I started the routine on Monday he does sometimes:

" week 1
    warm up
    4x4 at 70%
    2x2 at 80%
    back to 70%- try to get 10 but if you do 8 or more you go up 10 lbs next week ( I usually waited until after the 2nd week before going up. You'll see why)

week 2
    warm up
    4x4 at 70%
    2 reps at 80%
    2 reps at 90%
    8+ reps at 70%
    If you get all the reps then go up 10 lbs. If you don't then repeat.

week3
    warm up
    4x4 at 70% +10
    2 at 80% +10
    2 at 90% +10
    8+ with 70% +10 "

The 4x4 and 2x2 at both 70% and 80% came easy, but when I dropped it back to 70% I only got 5 in and the last one (which technically doesn't count) I didn't lock out (got it about mid thigh and I couldn't go higher). And after the 2nd one the 3rd and the 4th one I really had to fight for. Now this is the first official deadlift routine I've been on since I come from Olifting, but the most reps I've ever done were around 4 reps per set. Now even though my grip was giving up, my body just wasn't allowing me that 5th one. Will reps at middle-high percentages come with time and training, or should change my training up a bit?

Deadlifts done with no straps or belt, percentages coming from a 1rm with a belt even though I recently dropped the belt for all my heavy lifts for various reasons.

John Andrew is offline Member
    What amounts are you lifting?
    Having had back injuries I think the belt is a good idea. Straps will allow you to increase the reps and gain strength. I have to use them here cos all the bars are like butter but coming into a comp use a gym with a good bar just to toughen up the hands. Good luck. john

zivot is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by John Andrew View Post
    What amounts are you lifting?
    Having had back injuries I think the belt is a good idea. Straps will allow you to increase the reps and gain strength. I have to use them here cos all the bars are like butter but coming into a comp use a gym with a good bar just to toughen up the hands. Good luck. john
    I'm using the percentages off of the heaviest set I got after not deadlifting for weeks, and after a workout which consisted of (Power Snatch, front squat, and push press) which ended up being 485 pounds. I went for 505 but my grip lost it.

The belt I'm currently just not using because I want to strengthen up my core, hip flexors, etc. more then I was before, but even before I never liked using the a belt unless I was atleast at 85% (or having an unhealthy day). As for straps, unless I;m using them wrong, they actually make any form of pull harder for me. And I have two different types of straps. 1 pair of Harbringer straps, with loop, and a quick release strap for the O-Lifts by Iron Mind. Neither of them I never liked using for some reason.

But because of a few training and diet alterations though, this routine has been postponed until sometime in the end of summer or fall.

John Andrew is offline Member
    The straps you mention I do not know, I make my own from webbing. Find somebody to show you cos they are so simple and easy to use. Just put the end of the strap through the loop. Round the wrist with the loose end between thumb and forefinger, wrap round the bar and tighten by twisting it! You will never loose the grip, The strap just covers the area of bar you grip. I have pulled 610 on a slippery bar this way and done partials with a lot more.

Just take care of the back!! Warm up so much. I have had two ruptured disks and one fracture. recovery is tough! Good luck John

Thread Information