Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: fat and powerlifting

24tyrone is offline Junior Member

fat and powerlifting

i know its old but just saw the video today about greg valentino saying powerlifting is an excuse for being fat lol

what do you powerlifters think of that comment?

is it really power when you have to be 23stones to lift something that 17-18stone could lift?

not tryna be funny or anything im far from shredded

lifter65 is offline Associate Member
    i definately believe that hes right... but only for some powerlifters
    im all about being strong and healthy
    ive gained 60 pounds within 9 months for football (from 175-235) and my strength absolutely skyrocketed, adding weight on to your frame will make you become so much stronger, up to a point then it will taper off, of course i lost the weight after football
    i dont find it impressive when a 400 pound guy squats 700 raw or even 800 because at the weight he should be way stronger than what he is, being a fat powerlifter gives the sport a bad name
    the publics perception of a powerlifter is a fat bald guy with a goatee and tats and its ruining the sport (along with gear)
    who the hell wants to watch that?

lifter 65 you have deffo hit the nail on the head

brad1986 is offline Senior Member
    I hate to say it on here but he is right in a way. Powerlifting is kinda a lazy mans workout imo. You are never working out for more then 20 seconds (MAX) at a time and then you rest for 3 mins before working out for 20 seconds again. While this is DEFINITLY not true for all i do have to say alot of beer belly fatties that just ego lift like to claim themseves as Powerlifters as an exuse so not workout too intensly or diet properly. Most "powerlifters" i know eat everything and anything they can... def not healthy and def not nessisary. Dont get me wrong tho there are some powerlifters that are great athletes too but i think thats definity the minority

But then again powerlifting shows are still on tv while bodybuilding gets zero airplay....

i havent seen a powerlifting show.. ever, if i did i would watch it, when do they air? but yeah with my workouts i take big breaks on my main lifts but after that i train pretty fast to keep under an hour, but ive seen "powerlifters" aka fat pigs that only do one thing in the gym and leave, they usually can bench a little more than their bodyweight and cuz their 300 pounds they think theyre strong, fakkin pathetic if you ask me, but just like every other sport there will always be people that enter for the wrong reasons

MastaMan is offline Associate Member
    i don't think it's for lazy fat lifters, because they do have weight classes so you really have to work on your power to weight ratio

BgMc31 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brad1986 View Post
    I hate to say it on here but he is right in a way. Powerlifting is kinda a lazy mans workout imo. You are never working out for more then 20 seconds (MAX) at a time and then you rest for 3 mins before working out for 20 seconds again. While this is DEFINITLY not true for all i do have to say alot of beer belly fatties that just ego lift like to claim themseves as Powerlifters as an exuse so not workout too intensly or diet properly. Most "powerlifters" i know eat everything and anything they can... def not healthy and def not nessisary. Dont get me wrong tho there are some powerlifters that are great athletes too but i think thats definity the minority
    Thats the most ridiculous shit I've ever heard. Have you've done a real powerlifting workout? Most powerlifters (the real powerlifters) are much better athletes than bodybuilders and take their craft very seriously. Diets are important but nearly as important as it is in bodybuilding. I will challenge you to any bodybuilder workout and you can do my powerlifting routine and you'll see the difference. And I won't even get started with strongman compared to bodybuilding. Many bodybuilders have tried powerlifting and strongman and failed!!

Powerlifters don't care about public perception the way bodybuilders do. It's a niche sport and we are good with that. To a powerlifter or any other serious strength athlete (ask Ronnie Coleman what he thinks about powerlifters, or Stan Efferding, etc.), they will tell you that 800lbs is 800lbs no matter who lifts it because they know what 800lbs feels like. The problem with the general public is they have no idea what big weights feel like. They can't conceive the idea of 800lbs. The general public thinks a fridge is heavy, but a 400lb fridge is warmup bench press weight to a serious weightlifter. So the public perception of 800lbs is unfathomable. The only thing ruining powerlifting is gear, but over the last couple years, that has moved away from the extreme gear and RAW powerlifting is beginning to take center stage.

But the idea of a powerlifting or strongman workout is a lazy mans workout is the dumbest thing I've ever had and I challenge anyone to do one with a real powerlifter or strongman and then spout off that stupidity!!!

You can always come visit me in Vegas and we'll see who does the lazy man workout!
    Last edited by BgMc31; 06-27-2011 at 11:11 PM.

terraj is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Lol...you should be seen and not heard/read.

I have some advice for you-

Go into your bathroom, take a look in the mirror, now start uppercutting the guy looking back at you until he falls down.

Quote Originally Posted by terraj View Post
    Lol...you should be seen and not heard/read.

I have some advice for you-

Go into your bathroom, take a look in the mirror, now start uppercutting the guy looking back at you until he falls down.
    Best advice ever for that idiot Terraj!!!

bgmc... what fed do you compete in? i compete in 100% raw and they have a big member base with crazy records

Quote Originally Posted by BgMc31 View Post
    Best advice ever for that idiot Terraj!!!
    haha who said i was a bodybuildier? Bodybuilders are working out half asleep these days. My dad was a competitive powerlifter and an official his entire life and hes 63. I know plenty about the sport And i have worked in gyms for many years so dont lecture me on whay a powerlifting routine is. If you are in double 15% plus bodyfat your training and diet cannot be "killer." I was into powerlifting for a while so i def know what im talking about. Wow You can lift 1000 lbs 1 time!! so impressed. Whats the ****ing point? To show how much you can lift one or two times?? Im sorry that is not an athlete to me

Thats the most ridiculous shit I've ever heard. Have you've done a real powerlifting workout? Most powerlifters (the real powerlifters) are much better athletes than bodybuilders and take their craft very seriously. Diets are important but nearly as important as it is in bodybuilding. I will challenge you to any bodybuilder workout and you can do my powerlifting routine and you'll see the difference. And I won't even get started with strongman compared to bodybuilding. Many bodybuilders have tried powerlifting and strongman and failed!!

Powerlifters don't care about public perception the way bodybuilders do. It's a niche sport and we are good with that. To a powerlifter or any other serious strength athlete (ask Ronnie Coleman what he thinks about powerlifters, or Stan Efferding, etc.), they will tell you that 800lbs is 800lbs no matter who lifts it because they know what 800lbs feels like. The problem with the general public is they have no idea what big weights feel like. They can't conceive the idea of 800lbs. The general public thinks a fridge is heavy, but a 400lb fridge is warmup bench press weight to a serious weightlifter. So the public perception of 800lbs is unfathomable. The only thing ruining powerlifting is gear, but over the last couple years, that has moved away from the extreme gear and RAW powerlifting is beginning to take center stage.

But the idea of a powerlifting or strongman workout is a lazy mans workout is the dumbest thing I've ever had and I challenge anyone to do one with a real powerlifter or strongman and then spout off that stupidity!!!

You can always come visit me in Vegas and we'll see who does the lazy man workout!
    hahah okay dude ill come to vegas an lift as much as i can one time.... other then for ego what does that do? It doesnt make you more funtional in anything you would do in real life (except work for a moving company). it doesnt make you look good, it doesnt make you faster, reaction time is actually slower, flexibilty is lost.... ya seems soooo intense. Ive been there and done that and now that i dont i feel much more athletic and faster and flexible and stronger(at doing more then 3 reps at a time). So unless your training these other areas of fitness as well i would def be impressed but if your not... yes it is lazy mans workout to not exert yourself for more then 10 seconds straight

The Toad is offline Associate Member
    Here are a couple of power lifters.... not very athletic at all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLLLY...eature=related

hahah okay dude ill come to vegas an lift as much as i can one time.... other then for ego what does that do? It doesnt make you more funtional in anything you would do in real life (except work for a moving company). it doesnt make you look good, it doesnt make you faster, reaction time is actually slower, flexibilty is lost.... ya seems soooo intense. Ive been there and done that and now that i dont i feel much more athletic and faster and flexible and stronger(at doing more then 3 reps at a time). So unless your training these other areas of fitness as well i would def be impressed but if your not... yes it is lazy mans workout to not exert yourself for more then 10 seconds straight
    Your post proves how ignorant you are. Proper powerlifting does make you more athletic. That is why the basis of every major college strength and conditioning program is powerlifting. LIfting with bands and chains increases force thereby causing greater explosive strength. Powerlifters don't just do 3 reps at a time, again you're showing your stupidity. Look good? Are you serious dude? You must be 12yrs old. Last time I checked, the powerlifters I know aren't hurting for p*ssy. And you also showing you're lying about your father being a competitive powerlifter because if he were or if you paid attention you would know much more than you are showing here. So before you continue on this ignorant farce, cut your losses and move back to bodybuilding.com.

Ya working with only force production and one plane of motion..... sooooo athletic. A sport or an athlete imo works in different planes of motion and exerting yourself for more then 10 seconds at a time. Powerlifting to me is a tool to help better yourself at certain aspects of a sport... not actually a sport in itself. Same thing with running... i dont call it a sport i call it an exersise to help improve your sport. Tell me... in an hour (60 mins) of your powerlifting routine how many minutes are you actually working out? Id bet that a total of 10-15 mins out of each hour is actually spent working out. the rest of the time is spent sitting there resting. And thats probably an overestimation

Your post proves how ignorant you are. Proper powerlifting does make you more athletic. That is why the basis of every major college strength and conditioning program is powerlifting. LIfting with bands and chains increases force thereby causing greater explosive strength. Powerlifters don't just do 3 reps at a time, again you're showing your stupidity. Look good? Are you serious dude? You must be 12yrs old. Last time I checked, the powerlifters I know aren't hurting for p*ssy. And you also showing you're lying about your father being a competitive powerlifter because if he were or if you paid attention you would know much more than you are showing here. So before you continue on this ignorant farce, cut your losses and move back to bodybuilding.com.
    No its not!!! I train athletes!! Powerlifting is a tool for football players and it is only part of there routine! it is not the basis of there conditioning. I train footballl players/mma fighters/basketball players/cheerleaders/ and average joes... You can call me ignorant all you want but i have a degree in this subject and fully understand the human movement system. One plane of motion and only concentrating on force production is not a functional athelte. bottom line. Im willing to guess you have high blood pressure and are carrying way to much bodyfat.

Whatever dude i understand and except that people are still stuck in 1985 with there old school mentality of fitness. Being "gym fit" and being athletically fit or funtionally fit are 2 different things.This is 2011 and we (i) know much more about athletics/training/ and human movement science to try and argure about it with you anymore. Do whay makes you happy and thats really all that matters. But if you cant run a mile without gassing out and you cant jump more than 2 feet off the ground and you have 15 plus % bf.... I dont see how you have an argument but hey do what makes you happy.

I train athletes too! And have sent several to both D1 college and the NFL. And yes every major D1 college uses powerlifting and the oly lifts as the basis for the strength and conditioning program. So do every major private strength and conditioning company in the country. The lifts used increase both power and speed. These lifts increase vertical jump, 40 times, broad jumps, etc. All of which are measured by all major football programs, both college and pro.

BTW, my blood pressure is great. My doctor says that at 38, I'm in much better health than 99% of his other patients. And I carry the average bodyfat of the adult male 18%. All while still running a sub 5 second 40yd time and having a 38" vertical. All while being 6'4 and 300lbs. How about you, skinny?
    Last edited by BgMc31; 06-28-2011 at 01:33 PM.

Braveone is offline Junior Member
    I train westside for meets and of the op thinks that's not a lot of volume I don't know what to tell him. Max effort bench day might consist of 25 sets or more. I can barely move the next day. I'm 53 180lbs at 5'7" and bench nearly a double bw. I'm proud of that and I respect anybody who works hard in the gym no matter what their goals are.

when i made my first comment it was about "powerlifters" that i consider to be fake, meaning they dont really compete, or they compete just to say they do something, those powerlifters are an embarassment to the sport
    same with complete fatties who are just disgusting to look and and use gear, another embarassment
    but then you have "real powerlifters" who are animals, examples include matt kroc, louie simmons, chuck vogelpohl, real powerlifters not only dont carry massive amounts of bf, they can also run, jump, sprint, throw and lift heavy shit, personally just from powerlifting the first time i tried to flip a tire it was 825 lbs and i did, powerlifting made me strong, fast, explosive, but even more so flexible, brad when you said that powerlifting makes you less flexible that is where the red flag in my head popped up, if done right and not 1/4 rom your flexibility will be far greater than the average joe/lifter

Bigd89 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lifter65 View Post
    when i made my first comment it was about "powerlifters" that i consider to be fake, meaning they dont really compete, or they compete just to say they do something, those powerlifters are an embarassment to the sport
    same with complete fatties who are just disgusting to look and and use gear, another embarassment
    but then you have "real powerlifters" who are animals, examples include matt kroc, louie simmons, chuck vogelpohl, real powerlifters not only dont carry massive amounts of bf, they can also run, jump, sprint, throw and lift heavy shit, personally just from powerlifting the first time i tried to flip a tire it was 825 lbs and i did, powerlifting made me strong, fast, explosive, but even more so flexible, brad when you said that powerlifting makes you less flexible that is where the red flag in my head popped up, if done right and not 1/4 rom your flexibility will be far greater than the average joe/lifter

Now your just sucking up to BgMc, and it's pathetic.

A 19 year old flipping a 800lb tire? Yea right.

Im really not trying to offend anybody and obviously i did. I am not saying ALL powerlifters are non athletic im saying what is required in the sport and what the actual sport is judged on (as well as 95% of the training for the sport) can is is done by very out of shape people. I think ive seen one pwerlifter that had abs. While powerlifting exersises and techniques are and should be used in athletic trianing it def is not the only dimension of fitness and is def not the core of training. It is a "tool" not a "full time job" imo. And all the power lifters i know are fat and have no balance or stabilization AT ALL!! Using wieght belts and knee braces to stabilize your joints for you so you lcan lift unnessisary amounts of weight instead of learning to stabilize them yourselves is stupid and pure ego. And wow you can squat 800lbs...tell me how that is beneficial in any sport or athletics?? It is not! Theres no way that you could be training people to squat stupid amounts of wiehgt when NEVER in football or any other sport is that required. Somthing explosive with a weight vest would be much more funtional and makes much more sence. When do powerlifters ever do cardio? When do they ever challege balance or stability? When is quickness ever practiced? Close to never. I am assuming that we are talking about powerlifters not people who do powerlifting exersises in part of there complete training routines

bigd... im not sucking up to him, simply stating my point if it wasnt clear
    and you not thinking i flipped an 825 pound tire, your right... i flipped it 8 times in a row
    how much would you need to deadlift to flip that heavy a tire? 400.. 500 pounds, yeah i can dead way more than 500 hundred and ive got the world record to prove it, raw and drug free, and i was younger than 19 when i flipped it also

brad.. you saying football players dont need to lift massive amounts of weight is wrong, have you heard of joe defranco? yeah look him up and his videos will prove you wrong

Bigd89 is offline Senior Member
    I fight in the UFC, I actually debut this saturday night. I bench 900 raw, and you could only flip that tire 8 times?? Shit, I flipped it 25 times. After all, this is the internet...right?

brad.. you saying football players dont need to lift massive amounts of weight is wrong, have you heard of joe defranco? yeah look him up and his videos will prove you wrong
    How is that supposed to prove me wrong? I make a living doing this im not going to argue anymore... Good "red hearring" defence tho

bigd... im not sucking up to him, simply stating my point if it wasnt clear
    and you not thinking i flipped an 825 pound tire, your right... i flipped it 8 times in a row
    how much would you need to deadlift to flip that heavy a tire? 400.. 500 pounds, yeah i can dead way more than 500 hundred and ive got the world record to prove it, raw and drug free, and i was younger than 19 when i flipped it also
    post a video right now i call bullshit

i'll pm you both, just know that i dont mean to fight with you, this is just to back up what im saying

Im really not trying to offend anybody and obviously i did. I am not saying ALL powerlifters are non athletic im saying what is required in the sport and what the actual sport is judged on (as well as 95% of the training for the sport) can is is done by very out of shape people. I think ive seen one pwerlifter that had abs. While powerlifting exersises and techniques are and should be used in athletic trianing it def is not the only dimension of fitness and is def not the core of training. It is a "tool" not a "full time job" imo. And all the power lifters i know are fat and have no balance or stabilization AT ALL!! Using wieght belts and knee braces to stabilize your joints for you so you lcan lift unnessisary amounts of weight instead of learning to stabilize them yourselves is stupid and pure ego. And wow you can squat 800lbs...tell me how that is beneficial in any sport or athletics?? It is not! Theres no way that you could be training people to squat stupid amounts of wiehgt when NEVER in football or any other sport is that required. Somthing explosive with a weight vest would be much more funtional and makes much more sence. When do powerlifters ever do cardio? When do they ever challege balance or stability? When is quickness ever practiced? Close to never. I am assuming that we are talking about powerlifters not people who do powerlifting exersises in part of there complete training routines
    How about Derek Poundstone, Kirk Karwolski, Doc (here on this forum), Stan Efferding, Johnny Jackson, Bill Kazmaier, the list goes on and on of powerlifters with abs showing. And why does that matter? Showing abs isn't a sign of strength or athleticism.

I squat 800lbs because I'm a powerlifter. But do I need to post the numbers of some of the best football players who squat massive amounts of weight. Future hall of famer, Larry Allen, was a 700lb bencher. Brian Urlacher (a former teammate of mine in college) was a 650lb squatter. Stephen Jackson is a 650lbs squatter. The kid who set the bench press reps record at the combine is a 700lb+ squatter. And you are completely stupid if you believe that having a massive squat doesn't translate onto the football field. You arguments are completely ridiculous.

Your ignorance about the sport is amazing. No one uses knee braces to squat more weight. Are you referring to knee wraps? The knee sleeves used in powerlifting are the same sleeves basketball players wear when they play. Simply for joint heat. They offer very little in the way assistance in the lift. You would know this if you knew anything about the sport. Lastly, the fact that most of the strength and conditioning coaches for the major D1 colleges are either former or current powerlifters/oly lifters or strongmen, they use the powerlifts are the BASIS for their regiments. I know this because I attend their seminars and coaches clinics 5-6 times a year. How many do you attend?
    Last edited by BgMc31; 06-28-2011 at 05:58 PM.

no hard feelings brad, but i would hate to be one of your athletes, id get crushed on the field!

terraj is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Lol...this guy trains people, but can't see how a big squat can give functional strength.

Let me guess.....Your one of those trainers who has the overweight chicks sitting on a balance ball for a core muscle workout.

I now name you "Balance ball Brad", arise good sir

dude your an idiot terraj. I didnt say squats wernt functional i said squatting with knee braces and benching with suits and using wt lifting belts are unfuntional. Telling me that basing your whole "workout" on resting 50 out of 60 mins is good for athletics is a joke. Wake up to the yeaer 2011 no squatting 1000lbs one time is not going to be beneficial over all. Please answer some of my above questions and maybe youll have some credit. Ya lift for 10 seconds rest for 3 mins.... thats a good use of your time seeing as no sports are played that way. And judging form your avitar you look like a fat guy too... my point exactly. Overweight guys need a sport they can hold onto. I do heavy squats all the time but that doesnt make me a powerlifter. I showed 2 other trainers/ pro mma fighters this forum and they laughed at you guys. I work in a gym and have for years do what you want but my knowlege is cutting edge and eventually youll realize its not the 80's anymore and there is much more to fitness then how much wt you can move for one rep

no hard feelings brad, but i would hate to be one of your athletes, id get crushed on the field!
    Never said heavy lifting is not implemented but it is def not 100% of the workout. And to say your an athlete because you can pick up 1000lbs is stupid and i garentee you look shitty with a shirt off

How about Derek Poundstone, Kirk Karwolski, Doc (here on this forum), Stan Efferding, Johnny Jackson, Bill Kazmaier, the list goes on and on of powerlifters with abs showing. And why does that matter? Showing abs isn't a sign of strength or athleticism.

I squat 800lbs because I'm a powerlifter. But do I need to post the numbers of some of the best football players who squat massive amounts of weight. Future hall of famer, Larry Allen, was a 700lb bencher. Brian Urlacher (a former teammate of mine in college) was a 650lb squatter. Stephen Jackson is a 650lbs squatter. The kid who set the bench press reps record at the combine is a 700lb+ squatter. And you are completely stupid if you believe that having a massive squat doesn't translate onto the football field. You arguments are completely ridiculous.

Your ignorance about the sport is amazing. No one uses knee braces to squat more weight. Are you referring to knee wraps? The knee sleeves used in powerlifting are the same sleeves basketball players wear when they play. Simply for joint heat. They offer very little in the way assistance in the lift. You would know this if you knew anything about the sport. Lastly, the fact that most of the strength and conditioning coaches for the major D1 colleges are either former or current powerlifters/oly lifters or strongmen, they use the powerlifts are the BASIS for their regiments. I know this because I attend their seminars and coaches clinics 5-6 times a year. How many do you attend?
    Funny you say that because high school and college coaches are injuring there students at alarming rates and actually goto the high schools to teach coaches how to train there players properly because you have to many of you old school lifters thining that more wt is alwasy better. You cant tell me that those nfl players are as good as they are because of there 1 rep maxes! High school coaches are not kineseaology majors or personal trainers o i am very unimpressed. Football plays are preformed in all planes of motion and powerlifting focus on one lane of motion 90% of the time. This is trying to convice a christian that there is no god its pointless. I am certified in rehab and preformance enhancement as well as a college nutrition degree and sports injury rehab. And the quote about the abs.... If you actually paid attention to your diet and endurance (which is part of every sport so def should be trained) then you wouldnt be almost 20% fat. Tell me you guys in an hour workout how long are you actually working out for? What sport plays for 10 seconds and rest for 10 mins with no sprinting in between???? NONE

I stick to the fact that its a lazy mans workout because you spend 2/3rds of your workout sitiing around resting. Lets run a mile together and see how you guys do.

LOL threads been getting live,been at work all day so just had time to check now, i totallys disagree with man saying powerliftngs a lazy sport, i think its much harder than bodybulding, anyone can get big with the right diet gear etc but give the same guy that gear and see if he can lift some of the weights pl are lifting- no beef ting guys dont get mad at each other im just saying i dont think its STRONG to be lifting something you could do being much lighter- i started to think 2 years back was 116kg ish feeling huge n strong invincible deadlifting 250kg for 7 to get challenged and see a 98kg guy lift more-****ed with my head- one love

BOTTOM LINE- Squats/deadlifts/ power cleans/ clean and press/ military press should be part of EVERY ROUTINE!!! My argument is that if that is all you focus on you are completly one dimentional and not a functional athlete. Ask any current certified trainer or sports therepist or conditioning coach that has gotten his information withing the last 10 years. they will agree 100%. How can you seriously argue that FACT. If all you care about is how much wt you can lift one or 2 times then wtf ever but dont call yourself a dedicated athlete.

Never said heavy lifting is not implemented but it is def not 100% of the workout. And to say your an athlete because you can pick up 1000lbs is stupid and i garentee you look shitty with a shirt off
    lol im 170 pounds and bigd saw my lifts so he knows im legit dude, im not fat but i used to have extra weight when i played football, 60 pounds in a year, and guess what? i increased my dead and squats by major poundage and with all that weight still ran sub 5 40 yard dash, even improving over the year b4 when i was only 170

195lbs and 5'10 and 12%bf is def not a small guy. I can bench press 315lbs for 2 reps. That is not weak by anymeans... The differecne is while getting bigger and stronger i refused to sacrifice my explosiveness and endurance just so i can spend 2 hours doing 30 mins worth of work

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information