Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    lstbred is offline Senior Member
    Heres a new and easy one that gives a good flavor.
    http://forums.steroid.com/showthread...92#post6189292

cherrydrpepper is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Good thread. I started an excel file with <name of food> <how to prepare it> <macros>.

bikeral is offline Life is only stressful if you care!
    Great thread thanks

Heres a little something for the "inbetween" season.

http://forums.steroid.com/showthread...42#post6447242

ElDude is offline Associate Member
    I am looking to make some ground beef patties with romaine instead of buns (diet) what should I add to the ground beef or ground turkey to spice them up a bit and add some awesome flavor?!

Are you going to coat pre-made patties or mix in to ground meat? What kind of flavor you looking for? spicy, Asian, basic....if ur not sure or particular I'll put up a couple.

Papiriqui is offline Productive Member
    Istbred i need some good info for steaks (beef), not marinades obviously but seasonings that pair good with them. Not a chef but i am a good cook, i already brine birds and sometimes chicken breast as well, spice mixes, blackening for tilapia and salmon as well as some recipes i have for several steaks but for example when i tried ribeye once the fat on the sides came out a bit tough, whats done to it at restaurants that it comes out super tender, open wood fire grill? ribeye roast?

Also i am always trying to achieve a certain flavor restaurants have down here(miami) for making skirt (churrasco) ive tried marinades because my dads doesnt like beef to much, season salt (my recipe), tried valsamic vinegar, olive oil, black pepper, garlic and salt to no avail. Is there something in particular you guys use in the restaurant business for this 2 meats? This is the questions for now lol

Quote Originally Posted by ElDude View Post
    I am looking to make some ground beef patties with romaine instead of buns (diet) what should I add to the ground beef or ground turkey to spice them up a bit and add some awesome flavor?!
    Paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, worcestershire sauce, dry mustard, turmeric, i am sure our official chef can do a better recipe but you can go as you like!!

Quote Originally Posted by Papiriqui View Post
    Istbred i need some good info for steaks (beef), not marinades obviously but seasonings that pair good with them. Not a chef but i am a good cook, i already brine birds and sometimes chicken breast as well, spice mixes, blackening for tilapia and salmon as well as some recipes i have for several steaks but for example when i tried ribeye once the fat on the sides came out a bit tough, whats done to it at restaurants that it comes out super tender, open wood fire grill? ribeye roast?

Also i am always trying to achieve a certain flavor restaurants have down here(miami) for making skirt (churrasco) ive tried marinades because my dads doesnt like beef to much, season salt (my recipe), tried valsamic vinegar, olive oil, black pepper, garlic and salt to no avail. Is there something in particular you guys use in the restaurant business for this 2 meats? This is the questions for now lol
    I actually like to do very little to a good steak, I like FRESH ground pepper and kosher salt (or sea) cooked to a perfect med-rare...thats it! I maaayyy have some sauteed onions on the side but thats it with GOOD steak. Steaks (beef) is graded, I'll find the chart somewhere, and the better grade the steak is the less I do to it so the natural flavor comes out, I eat steak for the "meat" taste not to mask it. When you go to the store look at the label to identify what grade it is Prime (#1 best) choice (#2) so on. A lot of regular stores will package something nicely but it's actually "select" meat,which is ok when not eaten as a steak. There are ways to tenderize and jazz up select to make a steak, but it can be work. The difference between "organic" (no hormones, antibiotics etc) and regular everyday beef is amazing, cost 2-3x more but damn! A chef I like, Charlie Trotter, said "Cuisine is only about making foods taste the way they are supposed to taste." in other words steak should taste like steak, asparagus should taste like asparagus, don't get me wrong do it up!! food should be fun, tasty, flavorful! but the prodominent flavor should always be what it is.

I never messed with a lot of "rib eye" but did 1000's of prime ribs and what we did was a whole roast, caramelize the outside and slow roast to rare/med-rare, it gave the fat a chance to melt down or crisp up and break down so it wasnt tough. Whenever I had had a piece that was raw and put on a grill it's always been chewy, but like I said I dont eat much rib eye or cook it.

Theres a guy on here who actually works at a nice steak house in Florida that will be able to help you out, especially local styles. When I can find him or remeber his name I'll ket you know.

Quality Grades:

Prime grade is produced from young, well-fed beef cattle. It has abundant marbling and is generally sold in restaurants and hotels. Prime roasts and steaks are excellent for dry-heat cooking (broiling, roasting, or grilling).

Choice grade is high quality, but has less marbling than Prime. Choice roasts and steaks from the loin and rib will be very tender, juicy, and flavorful and are, like Prime, suited to dry-heat cooking. Many of the less tender cuts, such as those from the rump, round, and blade chuck, can also be cooked with dry heat if not overcooked. Such cuts will be most tender if "braised" — roasted, or simmered with a small amount of liquid in a tightly covered pan.

Select grade is very uniform in quality and normally leaner than the higher grades. It is fairly tender, but, because it has less marbling, it may lack some of the juiciness and flavor of the higher grades. Only the tender cuts (loin, rib, sirloin) should be cooked with dry heat. Other cuts should be marinated before cooking or braised to obtain maximum tenderness and flavor.

Standard and Commercial grades are frequently sold as ungraded or as "store brand" meat.

Utility, Cutter, and Canner grades are seldom, if ever, sold at retail but are used instead to make ground beef and processed products.

I guess i was missing the part of the grades, even though i knew about it and read about them i have never paid to much attention to it, but i will from now on whenever i want to make a good steak. Also i normally do my steaks the same way salt and pepper same as you stated since i watch a lot of cooking shows and i do lots of different recipes as well. Just curious to hear from a real chef what was the approach, my dad needs the flavor masked a little because he is not much of a fun of beef or fish but i love the actual flavor, burger patties i just use salt and pepper to appreciate the flavor of the meat itself.

Do you have any recipes for wild game, hog and deer. I do that a lot when the season is open but i want to try cooking it myself rather than my mom. I know the preferred method is slow cooking or roasting specially deer since it has less fat so it can become a little tough and dry as you also mentioned. Normal way i eat deer is in a stew slow cooked and it is amazing. This recipes i dont care if they are healthy or not, i am looking for flavor town on this one since is not like i eat deer meat every day but when i get to eat it i want to be the best thing ever, love venison, wild hog, lamb, all those kind of gamy meats!!!

Try Osso Bucco: Braised lamb shank, all the recipes are about the same but heres a simple one.
    8 veal shanks, 1 - 1/2 inches thick from the hind legs
    flour, for dredging (seasoned with salt and pepper)
    1/3 cup olive oil
    1 cup onion, chopped
    1 cup celery, chopped
    1 cup carrot, chopped
    salt and pepper, to taste 1 tablespoon garlic, finely chopped
    1 cup dry red wine
    1 cup meat stock (homemade) or 1 cup beef stock (1/2 cup canned beef stock-plus 1/2 cup water)
    2 bay leaves
    1/4 cup unsalted butter
    Directions:
    1.Assembly.
    2.Arrange shanks on a serving platter. Heat sauce on stove over high heat. If sauce is runny, reduce for a moment and then add butter, stirring to incorporate. Once butter is melted and fused, adjust seasoning and spoon sauce over shanks. Method.
    3.Preheat oven to 350°F Select oven-proof pot with lid large enough to accommodate all the shanks in a single layer. Set aside.
    4.Place a large skillet over high heat and add olive oil. Dredge the shanks in the seasoned flour, only as many as the skillet will hold at one time. When oil is hot, sear the shanks on both sides until dark brown. Remove from skillet and set aside.
    5.Drain oil from skillet and return to the heat. Add vegetables, seasoning to taste. Cook for 6 - 7 minutes until soft and lightly wilted. Remove and set aside. Add garlic and cook for another 2 - 3 minutes. Deglaze skillet with the red wine, scraping the bottom to loosen any meat particles stuck to the bottom. Add stock and any juices released from the seared shanks, simmering for a couple more minutes.
    6.Place half the vegetables on the bottom of the oven-proof pot and arrange shanks on top. Pour remainder of the vegetable wine stock mixture over the shanks. The liquid should come 2/3 way to the top of the shanks. If not, add more stock.
    7.Cover pot tightly and place in lower third of oven. Cook for about 2 hours until tender,.
    8.Carefully turning the shanks every ½ hour. Prod with a fork to test for doneness.

Lamb loin: 2ea
    Olive oil 1 cup
    Fresh garlic, chopped 2tbl
    fresh rosemary, whole sprigs 2ea (about 3-4 inches long)
    Place all ingredients in a bowl with lamb. Let sit over night

Sauce:
    shallots, chopped fine 4tbls
    garlic fresh, chopped fine 4tls
    demi glaze 1 cup
    beef stock 1/2cup
    unsalted butter 1/2 stick
    Bleu cheese crumbles 1oz
    A mild red wine-OPTIONAL 1 cup
    Pre-heat oven to 350*
    1. Take lamb and wipe off marinade
    2. Kosher salt & fresh ground black pepper the loin
    3. Saute on med-high heat, the loin on both sides to a nice golden brown, 2-3min per side
    3. Take loin out of pan place in a ovenable pan and roast at 350* for several 5-10min (depending on doneness you prefer and oven)
    4. When lamb is done, place on counter and let rest for 7-10 minutes
    5. While loin is in oven, take the same pan you sauteed the loin in and add a 2tbls butter, melt, add shallots and garlic, cook until tender. (If using wine, add and reduce by half then add demi glaze and stock) add demi glaze and beef stock, let simmer and reduce a little. Turn heat to low, add 2-3 tbl of butter and incorporate. Turn heat off, add bleu cheese crumbles and mix into sauce, your not looking to melt away, just enough to get flavor into sauce but still leave it chunky.
    6. Cut thin 1/4" slices of loin, shingle (fan out) and place on plate add top with sauce.
    **when cooking meat I always jussssst undercook it, when you set it aside to rest it continues to cook called "carry over cooking" meats will continue to rise in internal temperature from 5-10*, so if I pull something at 130* a good med rare, its going to carry over cook anywhere from 140-145 which transltes into high mr/low medium. Of course this always varies and you need to play with it to get it down but thats the general idea.

jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lstbred View Post
    Try Osso Bucco: Braised lamb shank, all the recipes are about the same but heres a simple one.
    8 veal shanks, 1 - 1/2 inches thick from the hind legs
    flour, for dredging (seasoned with salt and pepper)
    1/3 cup olive oil
    1 cup onion, chopped
    1 cup celery, chopped
    1 cup carrot, chopped
    salt and pepper, to taste 1 tablespoon garlic, finely chopped
    1 cup dry red wine
    1 cup meat stock (homemade) or 1 cup beef stock (1/2 cup canned beef stock-plus 1/2 cup water)
    2 bay leaves
    1/4 cup unsalted butter
    Directions:
    1.Assembly.
    2.Arrange shanks on a serving platter. Heat sauce on stove over high heat. If sauce is runny, reduce for a moment and then add butter, stirring to incorporate. Once butter is melted and fused, adjust seasoning and spoon sauce over shanks. Method.
    3.Preheat oven to 350°F Select oven-proof pot with lid large enough to accommodate all the shanks in a single layer. Set aside.
    4.Place a large skillet over high heat and add olive oil. Dredge the shanks in the seasoned flour, only as many as the skillet will hold at one time. When oil is hot, sear the shanks on both sides until dark brown. Remove from skillet and set aside.
    5.Drain oil from skillet and return to the heat. Add vegetables, seasoning to taste. Cook for 6 - 7 minutes until soft and lightly wilted. Remove and set aside. Add garlic and cook for another 2 - 3 minutes. Deglaze skillet with the red wine, scraping the bottom to loosen any meat particles stuck to the bottom. Add stock and any juices released from the seared shanks, simmering for a couple more minutes.
    6.Place half the vegetables on the bottom of the oven-proof pot and arrange shanks on top. Pour remainder of the vegetable wine stock mixture over the shanks. The liquid should come 2/3 way to the top of the shanks. If not, add more stock.
    7.Cover pot tightly and place in lower third of oven. Cook for about 2 hours until tender,.
    8.Carefully turning the shanks every ½ hour. Prod with a fork to test for doneness.

Lamb loin: 2ea
    Olive oil 1 cup
    Fresh garlic, chopped 2tbl
    fresh rosemary, whole sprigs 2ea (about 3-4 inches long)
    Place all ingredients in a bowl with lamb. Let sit over night

Sauce:
    shallots, chopped fine 4tbls
    garlic fresh, chopped fine 4tls
    demi glaze 1 cup
    beef stock 1/2cup
    unsalted butter 1/2 stick
    Bleu cheese crumbles 1oz
    A mild red wine-OPTIONAL 1 cup
    Pre-heat oven to 350*
    1. Take lamb and wipe off marinade
    2. Kosher salt & fresh ground black pepper the loin
    3. Saute on med-high heat, the loin on both sides to a nice golden brown, 2-3min per side
    3. Take loin out of pan place in a ovenable pan and roast at 350* for several 5-10min (depending on doneness you prefer and oven)
    4. When lamb is done, place on counter and let rest for 7-10 minutes
    5. While loin is in oven, take the same pan you sauteed the loin in and add a 2tbls butter, melt, add shallots and garlic, cook until tender. (If using wine, add and reduce by half then add demi glaze and stock) add demi glaze and beef stock, let simmer and reduce a little. Turn heat to low, add 2-3 tbl of butter and incorporate. Turn heat off, add bleu cheese crumbles and mix into sauce, your not looking to melt away, just enough to get flavor into sauce but still leave it chunky.
    6. Cut thin 1/4" slices of loin, shingle (fan out) and place on plate add top with sauce.
    **when cooking meat I always jussssst undercook it, when you set it aside to rest it continues to cook called "carry over cooking" meats will continue to rise in internal temperature from 5-10*, so if I pull something at 130* a good med rare, its going to carry over cook anywhere from 140-145 which transltes into high mr/low medium. Of course this always varies and you need to play with it to get it down but thats the general idea.
    Oh man I love this thread. This one will be made at some point. Thank You!

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyinkedup View Post
    Oh man I love this thread. This one will be made at some point. Thank You!
    I second the motion!!!!

As far as the "ground meat" seasonings you wanted, theres tons! Heres a very simple way to gauge what you like or want work on, try again. In the store go to the dry seasoning packets, pick out things that sound good, THEY DONT HAVE TO BE FOR MEAT! get a packet of Mexican style barbacoa with lime, (just made that up for example) mix it into your burger, once cooked put your burger in your lettuce with "Mexican slaw" shredded cabbage, dice toms, cumin, avocado chunks, cilantro, sour cream and anything else you want, then roll it up, DONE! Mexican style lettuce wrap, how many variations can you think of from this? a lot!
    Take a sweet & sour packet, mix with ground turkey, when cooked put it on your lettuce and add "Asian slaw" shredded cabbage, cucumber, shredded carrot, red & green bells, lime juice and red pepper flakes or low fat Asian style dressing ( make yourself or just buy it) roll it up DONE! how many variations can you think of from this? a lot!
    Try variations, create, have fun!! some people see food as "just fuel" others really dont care, some like to play, enjoy and experience and dont see it as "just fuel" that would be us

Mango Salsa
    Mango Salsa
    Bulk Cooking
    Cooking 101: Bulk Prepping
    Watermelon Feta Cheese Salad
    Watermelon, Feta & Almonds
    Fajita Chicken Breasts
    Fajita Chicken Breasts

krugerr is offline Knowledgeable Member
    This may sound like a pain in the arse, but do you think, if you get time, you could add your links to your OP too, and then catagorise them? Sorta like a recipe book, chicken dishes, puddings, beef dishes, fish dishes, etc. Just a thought

Great recipes though buddy, keep it up!

I'll see what I can do, break it down as much as possible. Maybe we can sticky a LSTBRED Recipe Book with categories...hhhhhhmmmmm

I'll see what I can do, break it down as much as possible. Maybe we can sticky a LSTBRED Recipe Book with categories...hhhhhhmmmmm
    I just spotted your new thread. Good job!

I just didnt want to see all these recipes lost, if this thread keeps getting bigger, we're going to have to keep jumping back/forward to find the recipes. I was thinking if you

kronik420 is offline Anabolic Member
    most of your links in your recipe thread dont work

FIXED! It took awhile but I got it.

jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Blog Entries
    Thank you!
    The effort is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyinkedup

Thank you!
    The effort is appreciated.
    Agreed. Loving the consolidated post buddy. Thank you for taking the time. We have so many good recipes that are just lost in the sheer volume of threads produced.

thanks

Added Sweet Potato Hash to LSTBRED'S Recipe Thread

Added Greek Salad to Recipe Thread

any ideas for breakfast?

im sick of boiled eggs and oats...

LSTBREDS recipes updated, just for you kronic hope this works.

thanks appreciate it

LSTBREDS recipes updated, Turkey & sausage casserole

LSTBREDS recipes updated, added Brown Rice Sadad

LSTBREDS recipes updated, added Almond Crusted Tilapia

Is it asking to much to get LSTBRED's Recipe Thread stickied? It makes it easier for people to find and easier for me to find and update so I can put things together. Thanks. lstbred

I second that. Some real great work put in LstBrd, it has been noticed, and appreciated!

Keep it up. I have a couple of cake/cookie/flapjack recipes to send you. They need a little tweaking, I can't figure them out.

pawn master is offline Junior Member
    I only grill meat, any kind does not matter. Make sure what ever your cooking is out of the fridge for 30-40 mins before you cook it. Pre heat your BBQ so its real hot and sire each side to hold in the juice. With chicken I prefer bone in skin on because it stays much more juicy. then turn the grill down (depending on how good your grill is you may need to play with it. Takes me 15 mins for chicken 5 for pork chops or steaks. I like my beef med rare. Chops cook quick unless you get the 1 1/2" babys those will take 10-12 mins. I never use sauce or spice except pepper. I make my own smoked beans in tomato sauce and eat these with most meals, so I have the sauce with them. BBQ corn with husks on is also awesome just make sure you take the husk off for the last couple mins and grill to caramelize. Fish get cedar planks soak for 24 hrs and put in straight on the grill. Put the fish on top and cook. No mess either.

pawn master is offline Junior Member
    Salad? never heard of it lol

Quote Originally Posted by pawn master View Post
    I only grill meat, any kind does not matter. Make sure what ever your cooking is out of the fridge for 30-40 mins before you cook it. Pre heat your BBQ so its real hot and sire each side to hold in the juice. With chicken I prefer bone in skin on because it stays much more juicy. then turn the grill down (depending on how good your grill is you may need to play with it. Takes me 15 mins for chicken 5 for pork chops or steaks. I like my beef med rare. Chops cook quick unless you get the 1 1/2" babys those will take 10-12 mins. I never use sauce or spice except pepper. I make my own smoked beans in tomato sauce and eat these with most meals, so I have the sauce with them. BBQ corn with husks on is also awesome just make sure you take the husk off for the last couple mins and grill to caramelize. Fish get cedar planks soak for 24 hrs and put in straight on the grill. Put the fish on top and cook. No mess either.
    The whole "room temp" thing and "searing to save juice" has been proven wrong, there is no discernable difference. I believed that too for along time but in reality it doesnt do anything. Leaving the skin on your chicken while cooking imparts a lot of flavor but when it's done you can take the skin off and get rid of most of the fat, sounds like a good deal to me lol.

Heres one link
    The Food Lab: 7 Old Wives' Tales About Cooking Steak That Need To Go Away | Serious Eats
    Last edited by lstbred; 07-02-2013 at 04:05 PM.

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    Istbred, how do I make my 'protein cake' batter thinner?

my muffins are coming out waaaaay too dense. I know it needs air and some fluffiness.

should I add: water, almond milk, more egg whites? I have not been mixing with a cake mixer and thinking maybe I need to add air in it as well.

what do you think?

There are several things you can try, do you have a hand mixer? or a table top? or just a whip? All are fine it's just a matter of ease.Try this:
    Put all the ingredients together except the eggs.
    Add a bit more water or milk or a combo of the two until it comes to a "pancake" type consistency. This is gonna vary, you'll have to play with it.
    In a seperate bowl whip the egg whites to soft peaks (video how-to attached)
    Fold (not stir) in the eggs to the other ingredients (video how-to attached)

This is a little more time consuming/work, say 5 extra minutes, but it should be worth it. They might rise a little so only fill your cups/pan 3/4 of the way. I have never made protien bars, cakes but as a general rule this should work. This is the same way meringue, mousse, souffle get their "airyness". Give it a try and let me know how it goes.

Eggs beat to peaks by machine:
    How To Beat Egg Whites - YouTube
    Eggs beat to peaks by hand:
    How To Whip Egg Whites - YouTube
    Folding egg whites into something:
    如何拌勻蛋白霜 How To Fold-in Egg Whites - YouTube

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information