Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Narkissos is offline AR-Hall of Famer ~Diet Guru~
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by xlxBigSexyxlx View Post
    ON's 100% Whey

lol, I thought whey was being used to fight cancer in some studies....
    Tumor-protective and tumor-promoting actions of dietary whey proteins in an N-methyl-N-nitrosourea model of rat mammary carcinogenesis.

Eason RR, Till SR, Frank JA, Badger TM, Korourian S, Simmen FA, Simmen RC.

Arkansas Children's Nutrition Center, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, AR 72202, USA.
    The mammary tumor-protective effects of dietary factors are considered to be mediated by multiple signaling pathways, consistent with the heterogeneous nature of the disease and the distinct genetic profiles of tumors arising from diverse mammary cell populations. In a 7,12-dimethylbenz(a)anthracene-induced model of carcinogenesis, we showed previously that female Sprague-Dawley rats exposed to AIN-93G diet containing whey protein hydrolysate (WPH) beginning at gestation Day 4 had reduced tumor incidence than those exposed to diet containing casein (CAS), due partly to increased mammary differentiation and reduced activity of phase I metabolic enzymes.

Here, we evaluated the tumor-protective effects of these same dietary proteins to the direct-acting carcinogen N-methyl-N-nitrosourea (NMU). We found that lifetime exposure to WPH, relative to CAS, decreased mammary tumor incidence and prolonged the appearance of tumors in NMU-treated female rats, with no corresponding effects on tumor multiplicity. At 115 days post-NMU, histologically normal mammary glands from WPH-fed tumor-bearing rats had increased gene expression for the tumor suppressor BRCA1 and the differentiation marker kappa-casein than those of CAS-fed tumor-bearing rats.

Tumor-bearing rats from the WPH group had more advanced tumors, with a greater incidence of invasive ductal carcinoma than ductal carcinoma in situ and higher serum C-peptide levels than corresponding rats fed CAS. WPH-fed tumor-bearing rats were also heavier after NMU administration than CAS tumor-bearing rats, although no correlation was noted between body weight and C-peptide levels for either diet group.

Results demonstrate the context-dependent tumor-protective and tumor-promoting effects of WPH; provide support for distinct signaling pathways underlying dietary effects on development of mammary carcinoma; and raise provocative questions on the role of diet in altering the prognosis of existing breast tumors.

Blog Entries
    ON's 100% Whey

lol, I thought whey was being used to fight cancer in some studies....
    Tp53-associated growth arrest and DNA damage repair gene expression is attenuated in mammary epithelial cells of rats fed whey proteins.

Dave B, Eason RR, Geng Y, Su Y, Badger TM, Simmen RC.
    Arkansas Children's Nutrition Center and Department of Physiology and Biophysics, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, AR 72202, USA.
    Dietary protection from mammary cancer is likely coordinated through multiple signaling pathways, based on the known heterogeneity of the disease and the distinct origins of mammary tumor cells. The present study examined the modulatory effects of dietary intake of whey protein hydrolysate (WPH) relative to casein (CAS), on mammary epithelial cell resistance to endogenous DNA damage using Tp53 gene expression and signaling as a read-out, and on systemic proapoptotic and immune surveillance activity, in young adult female Sprague-Dawley rats.

Rats were fed AIN-93G diets made with CAS or WPH as the sole protein source beginning at gestation d 4. At postnatal day (PND) 50, mammary glands of rats fed WPH had lower levels of activated Tp53 and p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase proteins, and reduced transcript levels for Tp53-associated DNA damage repair, growth arrest, and proapoptotic genes than those of CAS-fed rats.

Serum from WPH-fed rats had greater apoptotic activity in MCF-7 tumor cells than that from rats fed CAS. Serum levels of monocyte chemoattractant protein (MCP)-1 were higher in WPH- than in CAS-fed rats. MCF-7 cells treated with CAS serum + recombinant rat MCP-1 had apoptotic activity and Tp53 and p21 gene expression levels comparable to those treated with WPH serum or recombinant MCP-1.

Results indicate that mammary glands of rats fed a WPH diet are more protected from endogenous DNA damage than are those of CAS-fed rats, and identify MCP-1 as a potential serum biomarker for the positive effects of healthy diets.

Blog Entries
    Dietary whey protein lowers serum C-peptide concentration and duodenal SREBP-1c mRNA abundance, and reduces occurrence of duodenal tumors and colon aberrant crypt foci in azoxymethane-treated male rats.

Xiao R, Carter JA, Linz AL, Ferguson M, Badger TM, Simmen FA.
    Arkansas Children's Nutrition Center, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, AR 72202, USA.

We evaluated partially hydrolyzed whey protein (WPH) for inhibitory effects on the development of colon aberrant crypt foci (ACF) and intestinal tumors in azoxymethane (AOM)-treated rats. Pregnant Sprague-Dawley rats and their progeny were fed AIN-93G diets containing casein (CAS, control diet) or WPH as the sole protein source. Colons and small intestines from the male progeny were obtained at 6, 12, 20 and 23 weeks after AOM treatment. At 6 and 23 weeks, post-AOM, WPH-fed rats had fewer ACF than did CAS-fed rats.

Intestinal tumors were most frequent at 23 weeks, post-AOM. At this time point, differences in colon tumor incidence with diet were not observed; however, WPH-fed rats had fewer tumors in the small intestine (7.6% vs. 26% incidence, P=.004). Partially hydrolized whey protein suppressed circulating C-peptide concentration (a stable indicator of steady-state insulin secretion) at all four time points relative to the corresponding CAS-fed animals.

The relative mRNA abundance for the insulin-responsive, transcription factor gene, SREBP-1c, was reduced by WPH in the duodenum but not colon. Results indicate potential physiological linkages of dietary protein type with circulating C-peptide (and by inference insulin), local expression of SREBP-1c gene and propensity for small intestine tumorigenesis.

Blog Entries
    pfft.. why post more?

Clearly we're 'too ignorant'.

Ah well.. Imma head back into my corner and count rocks.

xlxBigSexyxlx is offline CHEMICALLY ENGINEERED
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by *Narkissos* View Post
    pfft.. why post more?

Clearly we're 'too ignorant'.

Ah well.. Imma head back into my corner and count rocks.

I don't know why, but that comment made me laugh big time hahaha

xlxBigSexyxlx is offline CHEMICALLY ENGINEERED
    Blog Entries
    muhammad, you shouldn't of got Nark started.

You just created a monster

Blog Entries

I don't know why, but that comment made me laugh big time hahaha
    Shit.. You distracted me.

"1..2..3...um...12"

What comes next??

Arg.. whey protein amnesia!

seriousmass is offline Banned
    Shit.. You distracted me.

"1..2..3...um...12"

What comes next??

Arg.. whey protein amnesia!

That made this thread worth reading to the end.

IM708 is offline AR's Supplement Guru
    I continuously have customers coming into my gnc looking for protein powder. A group that I get quite a few of is people who plan on doing gastric bypass need to go on a liquid protein diet T.H.A.T I.S P.R.E.S.C.R.I.B.E.D B.Y T.H.E.I.R D.O.C.T.O.R.S

ray0414 is offline Member
    i think that some protein powders may be more safe than others. and i also agree that they havent been around long enough for long term effects. and i have read numerous places that MSG is sometimes hidden under the term "natural flavor" and "hydrolyzed whey protein". the shorter the ingredients list the better it probably is for you. The more processed the food is, the worse it is for you and can cause cancer. Protein powder seems pretty processed if you ask me. and im not making any wild claims im just stating the facts. whether or not it will directly give you cancer, dont know. i sure hope not lol

Blog Entries
    mohammed peeps like you are whats wrong with this world.i bet at this very moment your planning on how your gonna save us all from the dangers of whey and how you will be the worlds hero upon doing so.every one will know your name,women will want you............dude move out of your moms basement and get a life.

Lifenutrition is offline New Member
    Just as stated before... Who cares what a doctors going to tell you. If you go in there telling them your doing massive amounts of steriods ... or "massive" amounts of protein powerders.. they'll tell you its bad for you. YOU are going to recieve the comments on your post just because this is what people do. Its ok you'll get over it my friend

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    Ronnie says its ok to drink , thats good enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    Ronnie says its ok to drink , thats good enough for me.
    I would have expected you to throw a picture onto this thread lol.

don't you have a terrorist protein shake pic???

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seriousmass View Post
    I would have expected you to throw a picture onto this thread lol.

don't you have a terrorist protein shake pic???

lol. you never disappoint.

that guys smirk is very questionable though. hahaha

Who the hell goes to the doc for a stomach ache anyway?
    Unfortunately abdominal pain is the most common ER complaint. And I agree, I have never asked a patient if they were taking protein supplementation except one guy who was fit, in his 20s, and had renal failure. I asked not becuase the protein causes renal failure, but because if you are in renal failure the Urea the protein is converted into can put you into a coma if you cannot excrete it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lifenutrition View Post
    If you go in there telling them your doing massive amounts of steriods... or "massive" amounts of protein powerders.. they'll tell you its bad for you.
    Not all.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BrokenBricks View Post
    Unfortunately abdominal pain is the most common ER complaint. And I agree, I have never asked a patient if they were taking protein supplementation except one guy who was fit, in his 20s, and had renal failure. I asked not becuase the protein causes renal failure, but because if you are in renal failure the Urea the protein is converted into can put you into a coma if you cannot excrete it.
    I feel like im in a coma right now.......

Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    I feel like im in a coma right now.......
    AIDS wasting syndrome.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BrokenBricks View Post
    AIDS wasting syndrome.
    oh snap

Reed is offline AR's Pitbull ~Vet~
    Didn't realize this was still going. Good stuff

Nark to the rescue!!!

AmbushKing is offline New Member
    HAha You shut him up

Nooomoto is offline Productive Member
    secondly protein shakes have not been around long enough for accurate studies to be carried out, analyzing, measuring sides, determining possible causes, all the body building company's aim to do, is make a profit, simple. they dont care about what we buy and put down our throats.
    If they haven't been around long enough for accurate studies to be out, why are you asking for accurate studies and asserting that they cause cancer?

I'm pretty sure selling a cancer causing supplement is bad for profits and won't help the bottom line of the greedy supplement companies, therefore, I'm gonna assume that the majority of protein shake brands are safe for human consumption.

Swifto is offline Banned- Scammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
    i think that some protein powders may be more safe than others. and i also agree that they havent been around long enough for long term effects. and i have read numerous places that MSG is sometimes hidden under the term "natural flavor" and "hydrolyzed whey protein". the shorter the ingredients list the better it probably is for you. The more processed the food is, the worse it is for you and can cause cancer. Protein powder seems pretty processed if you ask me. and im not making any wild claims im just stating the facts. whether or not it will directly give you cancer, dont know. i sure hope not lol
    Whey protein is a product of the dairy industry and 99% of it itsnt good.

I agree that there are better alternatives as Goose posted.

Another is organic liquid egg whites and they are metabolized about as quick as Whey is too.

I also agree that a lot of protein powders are loaded with sweetners, such as apartame. Some say there fine, others completely disagree.

Avoiding high street brands and making your own shakes is the key (I think) here. Its far cheaper and could be safer too.

j4ever41 is offline Senior Member
    this thread is entertaining to read.

rickrick55 is offline Associate Member
    Blog Entries
    I heard that on your 2,000th protein shake you die instantly.

Machdiesel is offline Anabolic Member
    There is def some truth to our shakes hurting our health, but its not the protein that's doing it its the quality of protein(the cow) and all the shit ingredients like fructose corn syrup,sucralose, dextrose, cotton seed oil,aspartame, GMO canola oil, trans fats, artificial flavors, GMO soy etc. Below is a link to a youtube video about a 100 percent natural whey protein with none of the above and comes from Organic grass fed cows( HUGELY UNDERRATED). Before now finding a reasonable priced organic(hormone free,antibiotic free, grass fed) whey was impossible, this product seems to be great. On a side note I think its worth your time to check out some info on how bad the meat industry is in this country. The cows are sick and literally making you sick and killing you(over time obviously). Organic meat prices vary, but U.S. wellness meats is pretty reasonable and ships everywhere. Something like 6.85 for a lb of ground beef, same for chicken and turkey, and steaks and chops vary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkEgurnkySk
    Last edited by Machdiesel; 12-13-2009 at 06:01 AM.

Kibble is offline Anabolic Member
    Are you an animal lover?

All I know is that when I go to the market and buy beef shortibs... I am in for a great dinner. I am a meat lover. I don't care if the cow had sickle cell anemia. As long as it provides some badass beef burgers. But cmon bro- this thread is almost a year old

Yes I am an animal lover but I do eat meat. I am not saying don't eat meat just eat grass fed organic meat. Don't be so quick to think the meat your eating is healthy just because the gov't approves it. Not hear to preach but check out the documentary Food inc it's pretty good. As for this being a year old I was gonna post a similar thread so just thought Id add my .02 cents

Kibble is offline Anabolic Member
    Ok I got you. I wasn't being an ass and all... I just figured you were a vegan or something

energizer bunny is offline Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference
    well ill be having a look into this thanks......

I Purchased the vanilla and choclate MRM 100 natural whey protein. I mix 1 scoop of the vanilla in my Organic Harvest oatmeal and it taste great, then I mix 2 scoops of the choclate with 1.5 cups of kashi 7 grain flakes,5g creatine,flax seed oil and coconut oil. The chocolate is alittle "thin" but im sure if I mixed it with whole milk like most people it would taste much better

Blog Entries
    Oh no... This mind-numbing thread got bumped.
    -Corey "Narkissos" Springer

Published Author.
    Owner of :
    Apollo Fitness Barbados etc
    Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by texasmk4
    Nark is like intel, Brilliant inside and awsome outside :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkissos
    Here's a little-known-secret, that most people won't tell you: In the sphere of fitness, everything works.
    Every(intelligent)thing works (once aptly and consistently applied)
    It really is that simple.
    This is the perpetual bodybuilding paradigm
    **No Source Checks**
    Contact Me

crf450x is offline Associate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Narkissos View Post
    Oh no... This mind-numbing thread got bumped.
    This thread is prob the single most important thread in the supp section. We are led to believe everything we buy is good for us, if it wasn't why would they sell it to us? Cancer rates are going up at a staggering rate, people are sicker then ever and obesity is labeled as an epidemic, yet the "health food" sector is growing exponentially. Everywhere you look you see people drinking diet soda, fat free products, things like "health bars" from kellogs yet no one is losing weight and everyone is sick. The simple truth is that we are dealing with facts, these chemicals are literally killing u and making us sick. As a consumer WE HAVE THE POWER to demand more quality, just dont buy the product. If we stopped buying the crap and started buying the healthier stuff corporations would be forced to follow and make better products or go out of buisness. Now if you know what is in your shake and still decide to buy it thts one thing but most people have no idea or even know what to look for. Most people aren't aware of the dangers of the ingredients, I am not saying everyone should go out and eat organic immediately but at least do some research about what you are putting into your body, i think if you do you will think twice before putting these things into your body
    Last edited by Machdiesel; 12-14-2009 at 12:52 AM.

MASTER is offline "I Own You"
    It gives me unbelievable gas, sinusitis and the runs, but then im lactose intolerant. Muhammad - I can drink some and send you a stool sample or a fart in a jar if you want evidence. Muahahaha.

yowhatupU is offline Junior Member
    I think it may have posted as a joke.
    If not, most likely someone just wanted to attention, no one is really that dumb.

Kaioken is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post
    I like the next article in that series:
    "Why are Complex Carbs Rapists?"

LOL!

or how about

"did you know that Creatine kills penises"

Kaioken is offline Member
    oh god....
    ololololololo

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast