Turkish Juicer is offline Knowledgeable Member

Green tea contains insulin booster

The most important bioactive substance in green tea, EGCG or epigallocatechine gallate induces muscles cells to absorb more glucose. Researchers at the Kyung Hee University in Korea discovered how: like insulin , EGCG [structural formula below] activates the enzyme phosphatidylinositol (PI) 3-kinase.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	egcg.gif 
Views:	170 
Size:	2.8 KB 
ID:	122901

The Koreans did test-tube experiments using rat muscle. When they fed the cells with EGCG as well as glucose, the cells absorbed up to seventy percent more glucose. Interestingly, even at the highest concentration of EGCG, no muscle cells died. This means that EGCG is not cytotoxic.

The graph below shows the effect of increasing doses of EGCG on the absorption of glucose. The researchers used insulin in a concentration of 200 nanomoles in a control group. Exposure was for half an hour.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	egcg.glucose.gif 
Views:	224 
Size:	6.9 KB 
ID:	122902

There are broadly speaking two ways in which muscle cells can absorb glucose. One is via insulin and insulin mimickers, and goes via the P13K pathway. The other goes via the protein AMPK, and becomes more active as a result of physical exercise. That is also why chemical athletes inject insulin after physical activity. After training, muscle cells absorb so much glucose that none gets to the fat cells. If you inject insulin, then the muscle cells absorb glucose even quicker, so your fat deposits don’t increase. They do increase if you use insulin at other times.

Because the Koreans wanted to determine the exact mechanism that EGCG uses, they repeated their experiments using two different blockers. One of them, LY294002, blocks the effect of P13K. This is the blocker LY in the graph below. When the Koreans added LY to the muscle cells, the stimulatory effect of EGCG on the glucose uptake stopped: the researchers had the information they needed on how EGCG works.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]122***[/ATTACH]

The researchers are interested to learn more about EGCG and glucose because they are looking for ways to alleviate diabetes-2 through diet and supplements. But the results are of course also interesting for athletes. They add evidence to the claims for green tea products as pre-training energizers, and might also be evidence of after training effects. Green tea stimulates fat burning during cardio sessions. If green tea also increases the uptake of glucose, it makes green tea even more interesting.

Sources: J Med Food. 2008 Sep;11(3):429-34.

ergo-log
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Green tea contains insulin booster-teapols.gif   Green tea contains insulin booster-teatestosterone.gif   Green tea contains insulin booster-egcg.glucose2.gif  

M302_Imola is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Great post! Green tea sounds like a super drug...I've drank about 3 cups per day for about 4 years now. Love the stuff and yes green tea before workouts/cardio is beneficial!

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    i need to drink more green tea and lay off of the coffee

Caffeine has some incredible anabolic properties too.

I wouldn't give up one for another, however, green tea is more likely the better choice concerning hydration.

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    Quote Originally Posted by Turkish Juicer

I wouldn't give up one for another, however, green tea is more likely the better choice concerning hydration.
    Absolutely. I stack the 2 together frequently pre workout.
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

akali is offline Junior Member
    Wicked to read i drink at least 4-5 cups a day !!

dooie is offline Senior Member
    Thought this was also interesting TJ hope u don't mind me posting it in here, making a thread of my own would be useless when these are related.

Alpha-lipoic acid - A new alternative for treatment of type 2 diabetes
    Kamenova, P., Koev, D., Kirilov, G.
    2002 Bulgarian Medicine 10 (3) , pp. 3-5

Insulin resistance of skeletal muscle glucose utilization is a hallmark of type 2 diabetes: therefore pharmacological intervention should aim to increase insulin sensitivity. Alpha-lipoic acid (Thioctic acid), a potent biological antioxidant and natural cofactor of mitodrondrial dehydroegenase complexes, was shown to improve insulin sensitivity both in human and in experimental diabetes after acute and chronic administration. Clinical data on the influence of oral treatment of thioctic acid on insulin resistance are scarce and controversial. Our study investigated the effect of a 4-week oral administration of thioctic acid (Thioctacid, ASTA Medica, Germany)- in a dose of 1200 mg twice daily on insulin selectivity in type 2 diabetic patients. Twelve well controlled patients (HbA1c- 5.70±0.79 %) on a diet and Metformin, at mean age of 52.0±9.9 yrs, BMI- 33.09±7.4 kg/m2 and duration of diabetes 4.8±3.1 yrsq and 12 well matched subjects with normal glucose tolerance were recruited in the study. Tissue sensitivity to insulin was measured with hyperinsulinemic eugly***ic clamp. Insulin sensitivity (M value) was enhanced by 85.9% (3.202±1.898 vs. 5.951±3.402 mg/kg/min, p<0.05) and insulin sensitivity index (ISI) by 63% (4.706±2.666 vs. 7.673 ± 3.559 mg/kg/min per mIU/lx100, pea0.05). There was no significant difference between insulin sensitivity of the patients after treatment and that of the control group (M value 6.749±3.268 and ISI- 9.518±5.291). Thc dose of antidiabetic drug was reduced in 6 patients due to improved gly***ic control. Fasting insulin and body mass index were not changed. Thioctacid was well tolerated. This unique metabolic action of thioctic acid supports the potential therapeutic importance of this agent for the treatment of type 2 diabetes.

Enhan***ent of glucose disposal in patients with type 2 diabetes by alpha-lipoic acid
    Jacob, S., Henriksen, E.J., Schiemann, A.L., Simon, I., Clancy, D.E., Tritschler, H.J., Jung, W.I., (...), Dietze, G.J.
    Arzneimittel-Forschung/Drug Research 45 (8) , pp. 872-874

ALA is a natural occurring compound frequently used for treatment of diabetic polyneuropathy, enhances glucose utilization in various experimental models. To see whether this compound also augments insulin mediated glucose disposal in NIDDM, 13 patients received either ALA (1000 mg/Thioctacid®/500 ml NaCl, n = 7) or vehicle only (500 ml NaCl, n = 6) during a glucose-clamp study. Both groups were comparable in age, body-mass index and duration of diabetes and had a similar degree of insulin resistance at baseline. Acute parenteral administration of ALA resulted in a significant increase of insulin-stimulated glucose disposal; metabolic clearance rate (MCR) for glucose rose by about 50% (3.76 ml/kg/min = pre vs. 5.82 ml/kg/min = post, p < 0.05), whereas the control group did not show any significant change (3.57 ml/kg/min = pre vs. 3.91 ml/kg/min = post). This is the first clinical study to show that alpha-lipoic acid increases insulin stimulated glucose disposal in NIDDM. The mode of action of ALA and its potential use as an antihypergly***ic agent require further investigation.

Quote Originally Posted by Turkish Juicer

Have any studies on caffeine TJ??

technodrome is offline Junior Member
    Sold.. I'll be picking up some green tea today... Problem is all the green tea products here are loaded to the tits with sugar......

Is green tea extract tablets the same as drinking green tea?

Quote Originally Posted by dooie View Post
    Have any studies on caffeine TJ??
    Yes, in fact, I have archived several studies about caffeine.

I'll be posting those soon so that we keep this going.

Quote Originally Posted by dooie View Post
    Is green tea extract tablets the same as drinking green tea?
    Possibly more effective than drinking green tea, due to much higher levels of concentration as we've seen this with a very solid research conducted on the intake of pure caffeine as opposed to drinking coffee in terms of its effects.

Type ''PROLAB Advanced Caffeine'' on Google and go to the first link under search results, official website of the producer and the product.

This is by far the most advanced and hence beneficial preworkout caffeine supplement I have ever experienced, click on nutrition facts and see what is in there. You will be intrigued.
    Last edited by Turkish Juicer; 05-15-2012 at 09:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by technodrome View Post
    Sold.. I'll be picking up some green tea today... Problem is all the green tea products here are loaded to the tits with sugar......
    Just buy green tea bags and brew it yourself that way you can add splenda to sweetin it

Also, it is worth noting that green tea is a natural diuretic as well

*Admin* is offline AR Admin
    Very interesting read thanks...
    Every man has the ability to be a fool, it is what he does to recover that shows who the fool really is.
    ~Anonymous~

Those who believe that they are exclusively in the right are generally those who achieve something.
    ~Aldous Huxley~

Completely Cleanse Your Body of Steroids in Only 5 Days! - www.SteroidCleanse.com

Help Stop Steroid Abuse - Click Here!

Quote Originally Posted by M302_Imola View Post
    Also, it is worth noting that green tea is a natural diuretic as well
    Indeed! It is also not as harsh on kidneys as coffee is, especially instant coffee.

Guys, I'll be coming up with more posts regarding studies about green tea, coffee and cacao since this thread seems to have attracted quite a bit of positive attention, I am naturally assuming people are generally intruged about these subjects. Keep your eyes open for the upcoming posts!

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    Quote Originally Posted by Turkish Juicer View Post
    Guys, I'll be coming up with more posts regarding studies about green tea, coffee and cacao since this thread seems to have attracted quite a bit of positive attention, I am naturally assuming people are generally intruged about these subjects. Keep your eyes open for the upcoming posts!

thanks man! i also use unsweetened cocoa in my protein shakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Turkish Juicer View Post
    Well the subject def. interest me so thanks bro!

Rhodium is offline Junior Member
    lol I just read your other post making green tea sound useless

Thread Information