Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast
Like Tree1165Likes

Thread: Wango back at the grind

Cylon357 is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wango View Post
    My ex students (who are now 30) always were metal heads, are in hardcore bands, record and I occasionally go to shows with them. They know & love the heavy sound I wanted to capture/play so they immediately went for three guitars (I wanted a matt black). They both fell in love with a schecter. I have to admit, I even heard a subtle sound difference myself. It looks great, feels amazing in my hands & it’s a guitar I can stick with after I’m more competent.

Sorry, drinking coffee and waking up, will get a picture later.

By the way, thank you - your references to the Manning brothers & Tony Dungy were so incredibly spot on and they made me laugh out loud.
    "Ack, Nosferatu!!" was in fact my first reaction to Coach smiling like a jack-o-lantern lol
    wango likes this.

wango is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cylon357 View Post
    "Ack, Nosferatu!!" was in fact my first reaction to Coach smiling like a jack-o-lantern lol
    Although the movie is a little odd & slow moving, Willem Defoe playing Nosferatu in “Shadow of the Vampire” was brilliant.
    JaneDoe and Cylon357 like this.

Tuesday was legs, abs & treadmill. Yesterday was a rest day as I tweaked my damn shoulder again doing some overhead house stuff. It didn’t stop me from lifting a fork or wine glass later however @ our favorite Italian place. The pic below was the most delicate prosciutto that we’ve ever eaten & the burrata cheese was insane.

Today was arms and back. Got to ice down and then put on some THC cream later.

Current trend in reading is about the drug trade, particularly the change in the meth formula and fentanyl. Also reading a book called “Blitzed” on how it was those good old Germans that came up with meth & then supplied it to the nazi soldiers. As a side effect of the reading we decided to start to rewatch “Breaking Bad”. Just three episodes in, I forgot how quick it started and how damn incredible a show it was.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wango back at the grind-623a3b02-4f36-411c-908c-b228df761cdd.jpeg  
    Cylon357 and JaneDoe like this.

GirlyGymRat is offline Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~
    Oh my. Some how I don’t think that I will be expecting the same issue.
    Hahaha

Never know what comes at you!
    wango likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GirlyGymRat View Post
    Hahaha

Never know what comes at you!
    Trust me, if they had some inked bad-girl guitar teacher, I’m there. Fortunately that is not the case.

First lesson done, a few days of practice complete. This may have some potential.

Dodged a bullet, thought I might have caught the flu the past 2 days, but better today. Upper body, abs & elliptical.

Finally getting some much needed rain here.
    Cylon357 likes this.

Blog Entries
    Trust me, if they had some inked bad-girl guitar teacher, I’m there. Fortunately that is not the case.

First lesson done, a few days of practice complete. This may have some potential.

Dodged a bullet, thought I might have caught the flu the past 2 days, but better today. Upper body, abs & elliptical.

Finally getting some much needed rain here.
    Still waiting on pics of the axe, man!

Did you get a starter amp or ?
    Last edited by Cylon357; 12-14-2021 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Did not sis
    wango likes this.

Still waiting on pics of the axe, man!

Did you get a starter amp or ?
    Here you go. My ex students also chose something I could grow with a while and not be tempted to upgrade quickly.

Day 5 brought an unexpected surprise. Suddenly, my fingers naturally formed the two power chords I’ve been struggling with because my fingers refused to cooperate. The tab music is understandable & I’m literally enjoying practicing and not dreading it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wango back at the grind-8452618c-e7db-4f7b-9191-335099cbf255.jpeg  
    Cylon357 likes this.

Pull day today. Hit my biceps hard with drop sets, it felt wonderful. Bring on the Chargers vs. Chiefs game in 46 minutes!

Blog Entries
    Here you go. My ex students also chose something I could grow with a while and not be tempted to upgrade quickly.

Day 5 brought an unexpected surprise. Suddenly, my fingers naturally formed the two power chords I’ve been struggling with because my fingers refused to cooperate. The tab music is understandable & I’m literally enjoying practicing and not dreading it.
    Oh nice! Is that the Boss Katana?
    wango likes this.

Oh nice! Is that the Boss Katana?
    Yes it is.
    Cylon357 likes this.

Damn “cold” weather. Low back is stiff and achy and my shoulder is like a non-stop toothache.

Tip-toed through a push routine: hitting chest, Delts and triceps and then abs. Anything that caused the slightest increase in shoulder pain was immediately ditched, which left not so much. Haven’t done the THC cream again, thinking it’s time.

Pissed that Cleveland is missing their top 2 quarterbacks for today’s game. However, I like that the NFL is now minimizing testing for vaxed players and waiting for “symptoms” to appear (yet leaving it to an honor basis). Right there, playoffs are saved. Omicron appears to be milder, the players are in their 20s and 30s; I think this a prudent move.

Time for some guitar practice, also time to switch instructors. Only took 2x to realize that this dude is not for me.

Normal warm up with pec deck. I keep trying to increase the stretch on my pecs and shoulders & it’s working well.

Preacher curls, preacher hammer curls & reverse curls. Drops on last set for each. Machine curls with SLOW negatives and a double drop.

Lat pull downs, low hammer rows, shrugs & reverse Pec Dec.

Last week, had to talk to two knuckle heads that pissed off my wife at the gym. The only stationary cycles are by a row of popular machines & they kept taking their masks off. Hey there was two of them and they were much younger, so I didn’t feel like a bully or an a-hole.

Fingers are gaining some muscle memory and relaxing on the frets. Lunch then practice.
    Cylon357 likes this.

Pec Dec
    Decline cable flies
    Close grip machine chest press
    Triceps Pressdowns
    Triceps Extension machine
    Single leg leg press (yikes)
    Hip Abd
    Calve machine
    Abs

The wife was smart, she got a fresh bagel with cream cheese post workout at a Western Bagel that’s next door to the gym. I didn’t & am regretting my decision.

Dreary weather outside, ain’t going out again (oh crap, I have to grill steak tonight; ok that is worthy of the trauma).
    Cylon357 likes this.

Blog Entries
    Pec Dec
    Decline cable flies
    Close grip machine chest press
    Triceps Pressdowns
    Triceps Extension machine
    Single leg leg press (yikes)
    Hip Abd
    Calve machine
    Abs

The wife was smart, she got a fresh bagel with cream cheese post workout at a Western Bagel that’s next door to the gym. I didn’t & am regretting my decision.

Dreary weather outside, ain’t going out again (oh crap, I have to grill steak tonight; ok that is worthy of the trauma).
    We bought some steaks for Christmas Eve, not Christmas Eve Eve, but maybe in Cali, it is supposed to be CEE
    wango and JaneDoe like this.

We bought some steaks for Christmas Eve, not Christmas Eve Eve, but maybe in Cali, it is supposed to be CEE
    Nice call. The wife told me they are either for tomorrow or Christmas. Now I don’t have to go out

JaneDoe likes this.

Rear Pec Dec
    Machine rows
    Shrugs
    Neck flexion (does put a little dent in the turkey neck dept.)
    Preacher curls
    Preacher Hammer curls
    Reverse curls
    Machine curls
    Eliptical

Nice biceps pump in my bathroom mirror after.
    JaneDoe likes this.

So tying resistance training to guitar.

First and foremost, it didn’t dawn on me initially that the lack of most of my external rotation (Left RC is pretty much gone) was going to hamper guitar. Turns out, moving up the fret is difficult, particularly the first 2. I have about 20 degrees (out of 90) of ER, likely due to the rear delt, which does assist minimally. So started a resistance program for that. Just ordered wrist weights that go up in 2 oz. increments (yup, it’s that weak).

Finger strength is another. I realized that grip strength (which I have a lot of) doesn’t really relate all that much to proper finger usage on the frets. Also, my hand size which should allow me a lot of spread on the frets, just shrivels up because keeping your fingers spread & simultaneously using them independently is amazingly difficult. So, thank you Amazon. I was shocked that I had to start extra light, but for proper finger usage, I had to.

Digging the guitar, don’t care if it’s going to take me forever to get proficient. I’m just marveling at learning the independent finger usage and strength from a more physiological/anatomical perspective. I’m finding that I have to take frequent breaks & limit practice time as my finger control starts to degrade due to fatigue.

That said, I will play like Doyle one day, but just won’t look nearly as bad-ass.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wango back at the grind-524cb14c-9780-4e1e-9ea0-46376d93d29e.jpeg  

Blog Entries
    Yes it is.
    I was torn between the Boss Katana 50 and the Positive Grid Spark. I went with the Spark but it was literally a toss up right to the time of clicking 'buy'.

Then work got in the way and I have barely touched any musical instrument.

I like that Schecter as well. It's a little thing, but I like having 3 tuners on each side of the head. Just makes my slightly OCD brain feel better.

Blog Entries
    So tying resistance training to guitar.

First and foremost, it didn’t dawn on me initially that the lack of most of my external rotation (Left RC is pretty much gone) was going to hamper guitar. Turns out, moving up the fret is difficult, particularly the first 2. I have about 20 degrees (out of 90) of ER, likely due to the rear delt, which does assist minimally. So started a resistance program for that. Just ordered wrist weights that go up in 2 oz. increments (yup, it’s that weak).

Finger strength is another. I realized that grip strength (which I have a lot of) doesn’t really relate all that much to proper finger usage on the frets. Also, my hand size which should allow me a lot of spread on the frets, just shrivels up because keeping your fingers spread & simultaneously using them independently is amazingly difficult. So, thank you Amazon. I was shocked that I had to start extra light, but for proper finger usage, I had to.

Digging the guitar, don’t care if it’s going to take me forever to get proficient. I’m just marveling at learning the independent finger usage and strength from a more physiological/anatomical perspective. I’m finding that I have to take frequent breaks & limit practice time as my finger control starts to degrade due to fatigue.

That said, I will play like Doyle one day, but just won’t look nearly as bad-ass.
    How do you hold the guitar when you are seated? "Conventional" or "classical"? There are maybe more proper terms, but what I'm calling conventional has you place the main curve of the guitar body on your left leg for right handed player, and right leg for a left handed player.

"Classical" has the main curve sitting on the right leg for a right handed player, left leg for a left handed player. I prefer classical, but that may be because my short a** arms have an easier time walking the entire fret board with the guitar in that position.

Something to look at anyhow.

BTW, I'm assuming you are right handed as that looks like a right handed guitar, unless you think inconveniencing yourself like Jimi Hendrix had to will get you closer to his ability quicker lol

PS - Eddie Ate Dynamite Good Bye Eddie

How do you hold the guitar when you are seated? "Conventional" or "classical"? There are maybe more proper terms, but what I'm calling conventional has you place the main curve of the guitar body on your left leg for right handed player, and right leg for a left handed player.

"Classical" has the main curve sitting on the right leg for a right handed player, left leg for a left handed player. I prefer classical, but that may be because my short a** arms have an easier time walking the entire fret board with the guitar in that position.

Something to look at anyhow.

BTW, I'm assuming you are right handed as that looks like a right handed guitar, unless you think inconveniencing yourself like Jimi Hendrix had to will get you closer to his ability quicker lol

PS - Eddie Ate Dynamite Good Bye Eddie
    TY Cy! Just naturally I drifted to classical. It does help with my movement on the frets. I may also move the neck more forward so the guitar is slightly pointed forward & keep the head/neck a tad lower.

Completely honest, no way would I keep at this at all if not retired. Sorry, off hours while working need to be as relaxed as possible.

Helped an old lady down the stairs (not my wife) by the gym and karma repaid me with a great workout w/zero pain.
    Pec Dec
    Hammer shoulder press
    Hammer incline press
    Machine lateral raises
    Pressdowns
    Triceps Extension Machine

Single leg leg press (a continued yikes)
    Calve machine
    Hip Abd
    Ab machine

Elliptical

Learned my lesson from last time as my wife wanted a bagel again, so I pulled the trigger as well. For me: onion bagel, egg patty, ham & mozzarella cheese. Munching on it now.

Blog Entries
    Helped an old lady down the stairs (not my wife) by the gym and karma repaid me with a great workout w/zero pain.
    Pec Dec
    Hammer shoulder press
    Hammer incline press
    Machine lateral raises
    Pressdowns
    Triceps Extension Machine

Single leg leg press (a continued yikes)
    Calve machine
    Hip Abd
    Ab machine

Elliptical

Learned my lesson from last time as my wife wanted a bagel again, so I pulled the trigger as well. For me: onion bagel, egg patty, ham & mozzarella cheese. Munching on it now.
    Glad to see karma working! #MyNameIsEarl

For some reason, probably the evening's festivities so far, I read that bold bit as "... my wife wanted a beagle again..."
    Last edited by Cylon357; 12-28-2021 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Brandy typing
    JaneDoe and wango like this.

Glad to see karma working! #MyNameIsEarl

For some reason, probably the evening's festivities so far, I read that bold bit as "... my wife wanted a beagle again..."
    Lol! I went to bed last night reading the original post from you and thinking “is it me, why am I so befuddled by this; Beagles?”

Last week started back to a 4 day split & am enjoying it. Nice muscle soreness. Rest day today. Got to start looking at PSL for a reorder; all of the HGH discussion in the A-lounge is making me want to add a second dose in the afternoon again.

Garbage weather, but God knows, we need the rain out here.
    JaneDoe likes this.

JaneDoe is offline Banned
    Blog Entries
    Here I am, following bro!
    wango likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by davimeireles View Post
    Here I am, following bro!
    Thank you and welcome. I do talk training, diet and gear here, but I mess and talk about lots of daily stuff. A pleasure to have you here.

Dude, I’m retired, it’s a rest day & it’s crappy weather outside. I’ve been posting like a mad-man today, yikes.

Blog Entries
    Faithful follower, Lets go Wango to the good work!
    wango likes this.

Blog Entries
    Regarding strength training, do you have records in your maximum lifts (1RM) in bench press, military development, squats and deadlifts?
    wango likes this.

Regarding strength training, do you have records in your maximum lifts (1RM) in bench press, military development, squats and deadlifts?
    Long past those days Davi. I’ve been at this pretty damn consistently for 50 years & my body shows it. My workouts will vary dependent upon what my body allows & the gear (even in low doses) provides a nice assist at this stage. Expectations are a minimum.

When I was in my 30’s, my best bench was mid 200’s max. Leg presses worked far better for me than squats and was in the 600’s for reps/sets. Deadlifts never agreed with me (I’m tall with a long torso).

Again, don’t let Sil concern you. He & his castle have a LOT of history and both are still there, where many an enemy are long gone.

Damn, raining like a mofo, hope it lets up a bit before I head to the gym. Our backyard wildlife (birds and squirrels) are huddled under are large patio roof extension. Going to throw seed & peanuts onto the patio so they can keep eating and still be warm and dry.

I’ll stick with coffee & eggs.
    Cylon357 likes this.

Blog Entries
    Long past those days Davi. I’ve been at this pretty damn consistently for 50 years & my body shows it. My workouts will vary dependent upon what my body allows & the gear (even in low doses) provides a nice assist at this stage. Expectations are a minimum.

When I was in my 30’s, my best bench was mid 200’s max. Leg presses worked far better for me than squats and was in the 600’s for reps/sets. Deadlifts never agreed with me (I’m tall with a long torso).

Again, don’t let Sil concern you. He & his castle have a LOT of history and both are still there, where many an enemy are long gone.

Damn, raining like a mofo, hope it lets up a bit before I head to the gym. Our backyard wildlife (birds and squirrels) are huddled under are large patio roof extension. Going to throw seed & peanuts onto the patio so they can keep eating and still be warm and dry.

I’ll stick with coffee & eggs.

I was reading a book by Jim Wendler 531, very good book. He tells you to find out maximum strength before starting the program. Then reduce to 90% with 1 RM basis. The main exercises to increase strength are bench press, military levatamento, barbell squat, and deadlift.

Week1 : Do 3 sets of 5 reps, Week 2: Do 3 sets of 3 reps, Week 3: Do 1 set of 5 reps, 1 set 3 reps and 1 set (1 rep. The fourth week is a generative week ( tells you to go back for 3 sets of 5 reps.

And after the fourth week he talks to increase 5lbs in the upper body exercises (straight bench press and military lift, and for the lower body to increase 10lbs barbell squats and deadlifts!

I'm really enjoying the book, it also talks about including auxiliary exercises like dumbbell rows, pulls etc. bench press with dumbbells etc.

Oh don't worry, I don't care about Sil's imbecile, I tried to help him, and he's rude to people.

It's a tremendous water-retaining doll that thinks it's a Viking!

Did you see him crying like a girl who was going to kill herself? So for an idiot like that you can't take it seriously!

"
    wango likes this.

I know you were being nice to him Davi. I think if you knew the history of the castle, you would be more understanding on why he gets that way. However, he shouldn’t call folks names in any case, that wasn’t cool.
    JaneDoe likes this.

Glad I could be helpful to our backyard friends.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wango back at the grind-c75eb8de-2cf9-432f-b102-de99a687cc0a.jpg  

Blog Entries
    I was reading a book by Jim Wendler 531, very good book. He tells you to find out maximum strength before starting the program. Then reduce to 90% with 1 RM basis. The main exercises to increase strength are bench press, military levatamento, barbell squat, and deadlift.
    This should be required reading! 531 is an excellent program.
    JaneDoe and wango like this.

Blog Entries
    Glad I could be helpful to our backyard friends.
    Do they always go in your backyard?
    wango likes this.

Blog Entries
    I know you were being nice to him Davi. I think if you knew the history of the castle, you would be more understanding on why he gets that way. However, he shouldn’t call folks names in any case, that wasn’t cool.
    I'm not even calling Sil, his opinion doesn't matter 1 cent to me!

Well if I can help newer members I will help, I never want to demote or belittle someone for being new to the forum.

When I joined this forum I didn't know much about AAS, I learned a lot here on the forum..And I'll always be here, because I know that even though I acquire a basic knowledge of AAS, I still don't know everything!

Blog Entries
    I have full respect for you Wango and other members who are nice! You can count on me brother!
    DinAZ and wango like this.

Blog Entries
    I read the book and am thinking about putting the program into practice. Did you do the 531?

I think it can help me break my lifting records.

Blog Entries
    I read the book and am thinking about putting the program into practice. Did you do the 531?

I think it can help me break my lifting records.
    Yes I have done and will continue to do 531fairly regularly. It is very effective, though probably seems a little basic to those people that are accustomed to a high volume body building style workout.
    JaneDoe likes this.

I’ll order it just so I can see what you guys like about it, even though those days are long gone for me. I like my books on early HIT and remember the old Nautilus days (even worked in one of their gyms, lol). HIT I’ll still mix in for arms from time to time (the pain is something to behold & being masochistic helps). Another charge/order to Amazon (I believe they are familiar with my address .)
    JaneDoe likes this.

Do they always go in your backyard?
    Yes, we have feeders & live next to a massive park with a bird sanctuary. Although we don’t get anything exotic in our backyard, we have a bird watching book and have had at least 20 different types of birds visit.

The squirrels will tear up patio furniture and dig up plants, but they are real friendly and like to eat right from your hand.

Thank you again for visiting and posting here Davi, you are a great guy! The forum is a great place to learn and talk, but occasionally people get nasty unfortunately.
    DinAZ and JaneDoe like this.

DinAZ is offline Associate Member
    Yes, we have feeders & live next to a massive park with a bird sanctuary. Although we don’t get anything exotic in our backyard, we have a bird watching book and have had at least 20 different types of birds visit.

The squirrels will tear up patio furniture and dig up plants, but they are real friendly and like to eat right from your hand.

Thank you again for visiting and posting here Davi, you are a great guy! The forum is a great place to learn and talk, but occasionally people get nasty unfortunately.
    When people bitch about a problem, get given good advice, and then ignore the advice and continue to complain about the problem I have to assume they want attention more than help with the problem.
    wango likes this.

Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast

Thread Information