ward065 is offline Member

Question Lifting/ wrist straps or not when working out?

I was reading in the latest MD magazine Charles Glass's column and someone asked him about lifting straps. He said to not use them unless it is near the end of your workout and your grip is getting fatigued. He said a bad grip can lead to bad forearms.

However, i have been using wrist straps for about 8 months now and before i was using them my wrists would always kill me and force me to drop the weight, preventing the muscles from being fully taxed. Since i started using straps for the many upper body movements (shrugs, deadlifts, chin ups, reverse and wrist curls) the pain in my wrists has significantly decreased and i think i have gotten stronger.

But is it bad to use wrist straps with these exercises? I know i must have a strong grip........to deadlift a bar over 400lbs for reps, even with wrist straps... doesn't my grip HAVE to be strong to lift it? Because i find if my wrists are really bothering me i am not working the targeted muscle to its full potential. Additionally my forearms are not small....they are 13.5" with 17.7" upper arms

Finally....... i am not sure though if he was talking about wrist straps or some of those things some guys use on a good portion of their forearms too......he was talking about "lifting straps"
    Last edited by ward065; 02-12-2006 at 12:52 AM.

D7M
    D7M is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer (RETIRED)
    Blog Entries
    I used to use them alot, but got away from it recently. I find chalk works just as good. My wrists kill me sometimes, too. So I just wrap my wrist.

That's just my .02, gotta find what works for you.

Myka is offline Made Of Sugar
    I would say that guy was speaking theoretically...In threory the wrist straps would make it easier so you could relax your grip therefore not working the forearm...but I have to use them for my wrists too...and I dont have a problem with forearm size or grip when I need it...

BeerBaron is offline Senior Member
    I've never even tried straps, they look interesting. I would consider using them on heavy pulldowns and deads, but it can't be good for grip strength.

Bigpup101 is offline Senior Member
    i love lifting with straps

novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    where would be a good place to purchase some straps?

IBdmfkr is offline AR VET
    I don't think I could pull near the weight without straps. I wear them on back days because I am working "back" not forearms. Straps are a must IMO.

Bigpup101 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IBdmfkr
    I don't think I could pull near the weight without straps. I wear them on back days because I am working "back" not forearms. Straps are a must IMO.

i agree, and they can be purchased at pretty much any sporting goods store

the only straps i use are very simple wrist srraps. Before i used them my wrists, would sometimes absolutely kill me. I found when i started my first cycle, i absolutely needed wrist straps

They still hurt occasionally with straps when my routine is more vigorous (When i'm on) but now that i am off my routine is spread out over more days- and i have no wrist pain.

Imagine reverse curls without wrist straps--------that is hell. But exercises like reverse curls go to build up the forearms. In fact i trained forearms yesterday as part of my workout and certianly feel soreness there today.

IBdmfkr is offline AR VET
    I think you are talking about wrist supports/wrist wraps. We are talking about wrist straps which help you hold on to the bar but don't offer any support. Mine are made by harbinger and were like 8bux, I seem to wear them out every 4-6months.

i am confused now......i have harbinger workout gloves and use simple wrist support straps as well with some exercises

Do you know where i can see a picture of these other wrist straps? im rather confused

powerliftmike is offline ~Elite AR-Hall of Famer~
    Yes, your forearm will not be taxed as much and straps are not competition legal for powerlifting. Some strongman events allow straps, some dont. Some powerlifters are very much against there use, but not me. I have had carpal tunnel symptoms in my forearms and so if they are hurting I use straps for DLs. Also, I think it depends on the exercise. Like for rack pulls I rely on them alot. It's just hard for me to hold over 600+ lbs for reps. And the last reason is if you get close to a competition, this way your grip is fully recovered and ready to go come meet day. For even more support you can get some hooks too.

powerliftmike is offline ~Elite AR-Hall of Famer~
    Quote Originally Posted by ward065
    i am confused now......i have harbinger workout gloves and use simple wrist support straps as well with some exercises

Do you know where i can see a picture of these other wrist straps? im rather confused
    To clear up any confusion there are 3 things: 1) wrist wraps 2) wrist straps 3) wrist hooks. Wrist wraps are the only legal one in powerlifting. Think of them like a knee wrap. Wrist straps are the fabric you wrap around the bar and wrist hooks are just that--big hooks to eliminate the need to close the hand against pressure.

thanks....i think i found a pic

http://i.b5z.net/i/u/230085/i/hook_w...trap_hooks.jpg

I've never used those, don't plan to and don't think ill ever need to either

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    i only use chalk and only chalk
    no belt
    no wraps
    no wrist straps

my forearms get taxed super during my deads, and sometimes i cant hold on long enough for my last couple reps. so im assuming that some straps would help me finsih my last couple reps?...

and so i could get these at say DICKS?

RuhlFreak55 is offline Purveyor of Thor's Hammer
    i always use them

39.5Swamp is offline Banned
    I never use them. I think it helps build my forearms especially since I do not work them directly. My grip has not failed me yet. Just my .02

Thread Information