JP1
    JP1 is offline Junior Member

help out with routine for 48 yo

This is my father-in-laws workout routine he is 48 and hasn't workout for 20 years, doesn't read any muscle mags, doesn't know how to access the internet either. And doesn't like the way I work out routine wise

Mon- Chest/Tris (10X10 for each body part)
    Tue - Bi's/shoulder (10X10 for each body part)
    Wed -Chest/Tris (10X10 for each body part)
    Thirs-Bi's/shoulder (10X10 for each body part)
    Frid -Chest/Tris (10X10 for each body part)
    Sat-Bi's/shoulder (10X10 for each body part)
    Sunday -off

just to add this is done alternating sets from 10reps of bench into 10 reps of pulley pushdowns back to bench until the 10X10 is done (there is flys in there for chest as well as bench)

Eating habbits are eats when he wants, but usually 2-3 times a day sometimes just 2

So I have a couple of questions

1) what can he expect from this philosphy?
    2) Does anyone in todays world work out like this?

And to finish here is my workout routine
    I eat every 4 hours and get 40-50g protien in every meal. carbs and fat are there as well.
    mon - chest-bi or chest-tris
    tue -off (cardio if I am trying lean up)
    wed- tris-shoulder-back (or bis for tri)
    thurs- off
    frid - legs
    sat -off
    sun-off

and when I am trying to cut
    Mon -3X15 total body
    tue -cardio 30-45 min
    wed- cardio
    thurs - 3X15 total body
    frid-cardio
    sat- off (sometimes cardio)
    Sun- off

I am writing this so I can get as much feedback as I can cause he won't listen to me or take any advise and he told my son that my way is weird and he doesn't like it and told him they will workout together and do it the same way. (my son is 11 years old)

Kale is offline ~ Vet~ I like Thai Girls
    Sounds to me like he should be left to his own devices. Why do you want him to change unless he has some goal in mind to get better. If he is just a plodder then let him plod.

JP1
    Sounds to me like he should be left to his own devices
    Yes I understand he can do it his own way, but not my son. I have found that it doesn't matter how old or young you are if your set on doing something right or wrong your going to do it no matter what anyone says.
    Why do you want him to change unless he has some goal in mind to get better. If he is just a plodder then let him plod.
    Why? Because he told my son my way is basically not right and weird and that his was is right. And that my son will do it his way the problem is the father-in-law is very invloved in my childrens lives and in mine but I mainly posted this to get as many peoples thoughts and ideas on his way of training. I personally have been doing my way since 1997 so I feel a bit more qualified to decide for my son but I see disaster ahead.
    Last edited by JP1; 03-01-2006 at 06:40 AM.

pelly789 is offline Member
    this workout is so weird? your training chest/tris shoulders/bis 3x a week? your not going to yeild too many results from that i wouldnt think. one body part per week is enough training and by the way you do have legs,traps, and a back to train. i would expect little to nothing from this routine and i dont hear or see of any people training this way these days but i may be wrong about this whole thing but it seems very unorthadox

JP1
    Thats my point that is also why I want as many people to post on this and give there feed back on it

Kale is offline ~ Vet~ I like Thai Girls
    Yeah sorry I missed the bit in your post about your son. First of all I think at 11 he is to young to be working out at all especially with that kind of workout.

JP1
    I disagree that he shouldn't be working out at all he should do some form of an exercise program with light weight but I do agree he doesn't need to do something like what I posted with the 10X10 crap.. the part of my post I want to be critiqued the most is his training routine

WHOADY4SHOADY is offline Senior Member
    If I was you bro, I would have my son doing 3x week full body. It would just be for good conditioning. I would include one excersise for each bodypart at each session and include lots of stretcing. Good luck bro, I feel for your situation.

JP1
    I was actually expecting more comments on this thread good or bad. Maybe it should be moved to the over 30 section?

JP1
    Come on guys 50,000+ member and I can only get 3 of them to comment?

novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    Quote Originally Posted by JP1
    This is my father-in-laws workout routine he is 48 and hasn't workout for 20 years, doesn't read any muscle mags, doesn't know how to access the internet either. And doesn't like the way I work out routine wise

Mon- Chest/Tris (10X10 for each body part)
    Tue - Bi's/shoulder (10X10 for each body part)
    Wed -Chest/Tris (10X10 for each body part)
    Thirs-Bi's/shoulder (10X10 for each body part)
    Frid -Chest/Tris (10X10 for each body part)
    Sat-Bi's/shoulder (10X10 for each body part)
    Sunday -off

just to add this is done alternating sets from 10reps of bench into 10 reps of pulley pushdowns back to bench until the 10X10 is done (there is flys in there for chest as well as bench)

Eating habbits are eats when he wants, but usually 2-3 times a day sometimes just 2

So I have a couple of questions

1) what can he expect from this philosphy?
    2) Does anyone in todays world work out like this?

And to finish here is my workout routine
    I eat every 4 hours and get 40-50g protien in every meal. carbs and fat are there as well.
    mon - chest-bi or chest-tris
    tue -off (cardio if I am trying lean up)
    wed- tris-shoulder-back (or bis for tri)
    thurs- off
    frid - legs
    sat -off
    sun-off

and when I am trying to cut
    Mon -3X15 total body
    tue -cardio 30-45 min
    wed- cardio
    thurs - 3X15 total body
    frid-cardio
    sat- off (sometimes cardio)
    Sun- off

I am writing this so I can get as much feedback as I can cause he won't listen to me or take any advise and he told my son that my way is weird and he doesn't like it and told him they will workout together and do it the same way. (my son is 11 years old)

Kinda hard to say what he should expect when there isn't a diet posted. is he cutting or bulking up? is he just maintaining, what does he want to achieve? then we can advise him on how to achieve what he wants. i don't see much of anything happeneing when he is only eating 2-3 times a day and sometimes only twice.

JP1
    Has anyone seen any type of workout that you would do that many sets and reps 6 times a week? I can easily see with this type of workout you could acheive cutting, but this is not the way that was being preached to me when I was in my teens some 14 years ago. I wanted to get opinions on this workout and if you all thought it was a good one wether cutting or not. diet is he will cook himself a pound of bacon and 3-4 eggs at midnight if hes hungry, he probably consumes 2 dozen whole eggs a week, and 2lbs or more of bacon doesn't care for red meat that much but will eat a steak every once in a while. likes chicken the best no matter how it is cooked (doesn't like boneless breast) loves potatoes, sweet goods, smokes 1.5 packs a day smokes during his workouts ect... you get the point genetically speaking he can pretty much eat what ever he wants and doesn't get fat, has a high metabolism, low cholesterol.

My main point was that he thinks this method is the only one to use and will not change and I wanted to see how many people will support this method of training verse the one most of us use

novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    haven't seen one, wouldn't recommend one either, it is overtraining 101 IMO...

Jimmya73 is offline Senior Member
    i wouldnt even reccommend that workout for cutting, spend some time on this board and you will find that your diet, and not your repetition scheme is the key to leanness. anyway, working a muscle 10x10 3 times a week is most definitely overtraining, putting the ligaments in danger...and...stupid. you are not really going to be activating many of the fast twitch muscle fibers that are responsible for growth. and hes way to damn young to EVER be able to recover from that. your father in law has basically prescribed german volume training in an even more detrimental way than normal. there is everything in the world wrong with the routine that he prescribed. working your legs helps your entire body grow, neglecting your back and focusing on presses to the front will lead to severe posture and spinal misalignments. i could go on forever, but i think u get the point. maybe sc will post in here. a certified trainer with a six figure income ought to be credible enough to show your son the correct way. oh...bring out his pictures too lol.

i think thats what you wanted to hear right?

JP1
    Jimmya73 :
    Yes this is what I am looking at I want some real strait foward critics on this, don't worry about hurting someones feelings.

I was able to get a look at has logs for this week he just started this week as well, it looks like there is no shoulder routine in there it looked like this for monday
    bench press (with no written weight)
    7X10 (thats 70 reps for christ sakes)
    Dumbell press
    7X10
    Flys
    7X10
    Tues
    bi's and tris and looked real similiar to that so it looks like somewhere in the neighborhood of 180-210 reps per bodypart. consiquently he didn't workout yesterday I think he was a little sore and probably tired..lol I also pulled my son out of the weights all together
    Last edited by JP1; 03-02-2006 at 03:35 PM.

that routine is not good for anything imo...obviously he's stubborn if he thinks that is the way to do it...and 2 lbs of bacon a week? comon, thats just ludacris.

imo i would tell him to do what he wants and you're not going to butt in, but when he's telling YOUR son that his way is the way to go? you've got to put your foot down. Training an 11 year old is a delicate enough situation as is, but to have an 11 year old hit chest bi's and shoulders 3 x a week is stupid.

like pelly said, legs, traps, and back are non-existant in that workout
    I would never do this, nor advise anyone to do this workout
    He's going to see some gains from what he's doing. Starting at nothing and lifting anything will give you gains, and from what i can see from his personality, he's going to try rubbing it in your face when he starts gaining. His gains will cease, i guarentee you that.

And IMHO i think your routine could use some adjusting too, but thats not what you have posted for...thats it, i'm done

JP1
    Quote Originally Posted by GunTotingHipGangster
    And IMHO i think your routine could use some adjusting too, but thats not what you have posted for...thats it, i'm done
    If mine needs adjustment then let me have it I can't be going around thinking the way I do it is bulletproof, I do like to change my routines up every 8-10 weeks so what I wrote is not all the routines I do but there the same principals. So let me have it, cause I don't want to be sitting around looking like this

JP1
    never mind

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    holly over training..
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

Thread Information