daytrader is offline Member

Form on Inlcline BARBELL press

Now that im done with flat BB(nagging injuries)... once i get back to the bars with chest i was gonna use incline barbells for my first excersise.... Now heres the thing.... at golds i see an array of big guys... some dont touch there chest.. some do.... when ive done it in the past i normally touch and am very under control with the negative... but i know it CAN be very risky to go all the way down on this excersise.... than i was reading in MD one pro saying you prob shouldnt go all the way down and most pros are starting to realize its not worth the potential injury!.... ive heard people say go below the nose, right below the neck (I saw some ****ing tool inclining 245 not even past the top of his head )... So this qustion is for the more expericne guys on this exersise.... Where do you bring the bar on this exersise thats most beneficial and minimizes potential injury?

novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    Quote Originally Posted by daytrader
    Now that im done with flat BB(nagging injuries)... once i get back to the bars with chest i was gonna use incline barbells for my first excersise.... Now heres the thing.... at golds i see an array of big guys... some dont touch there chest.. some do.... when ive done it in the past i normally touch and am very under control with the negative... but i know it CAN be very risky to go all the way down on this excersise.... than i was reading in MD one pro saying you prob shouldnt go all the way down and most pros are starting to realize its not worth the potential injury!.... ive heard people say go below the nose, right below the neck (I saw some ****ing tool inclining 245 not even past the top of his head )... So this qustion is for the more expericne guys on this exersise.... Where do you bring the bar on this exersise thats most beneficial and minimizes potential injury?
    i just keep the normal back from that i use on flat BB press, and when i lower the bar i go down about to where it looks like it is just under my chin, of course the bar is still over my chest though...

Quote Originally Posted by novastepp
    i just keep the normal back from that i use on flat BB press, and when i lower the bar i go down about to where it looks like it is just under my chin, of course the bar is still over my chest though...
    i agree

i used to go the whole way down to my chest, but i believe that this is insignificant and just causes stress on my shoulders. I actually touch the bar on the bottom of my chin the proceed to press it up

i do the same on barbell overhead press, i believe that going down to your chest on inlince and overhead is a recipe for injury

HUNTER1 is offline Member
    i do the same

FullMoonHowlingWolf is offline Senior Member
    I use to bring the bar down to my chest as well, but since injuring my shoulder and getting continual pains, I now stop underneath my chin. This seems to take some pressure off the shoulders.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Basically, this depends on the health of your shoulders. If you have healthy shoulders, you can go down and touch your chest. Where the bar is brought down to will vary. Some lower it just under the collar bone and others lower. It really depends on your goals. I have no shoulder issues so go down to the chest. One of my clients, years ago, was a physical therapist with two master degrees. She said that as long as your shoulder does not have discomfort, you can work through a full ROM. A lot of individuals will check the range short because it allows them to use more weight.

Natty99 is offline Member
    I have been going all the way down. I'll change it up!

Thread Information