ascendant is offline Senior Member

bouncing reps for calves?

in all the videos i've seen of cutler or coleman they seem to do a bouncing movement when training calves. watch any of their videos where they're training their calves and you'll see what i mean.

can't remember if they both do it the same exact way, but i know one of them at least would kind of bounce it up to about half way, come back down just a bit, then bounce up the rest of the way. that was how he did each of his reps for his calves, basically splitting the bottom and top half of the calf movement in every rep.

considering i saw both of them doing pretty much the same bouncing movement, i'm tempted to try it myself. my calf development isn't bad, but i wouldn't mind making them a bit larger with a better technique.

just wanted to hear some other peoples thoughts on this. additionally, if anyone has any information regarding why this bouncing method for calves may be more effective, i'd like to hear it.

yeah i noticed that too, so i threw it into my superset of doing calves, dont really know if it works better though...

helium3 is offline Senior Member
    i think the bouncing action puts alot more pressure and load on the Achilles Tendon.

scriptfactory is offline Anabolic Member
    I do the same thing. It just feels more natural to me. I go almost all the way up, half way down, then back up top and flex.

dwaynewade is offline Senior Member
    good calf workout on this and similar principles @ a b c b o d y b u i l d i n g . c o m ... it consists of partial reps like those you speak off... calfs have many fast twitched muscles that recover quickly it is important to trash them to get substantial results... when you begin to feel failure is when you start working them out

BIG_T_MC06 is offline Associate Member
    The bouncing reps lead to more time under tension (leading to more hypertrophy).

There is a fine line between the bouncing technique you mentioned and poor/dangerous form, be careful.

I prefer to perform as many reps to failure using slow and controlled reps, then incorporate the bouncing/partial reps technique to go beyond failure.

T

Quote Originally Posted by BIG_T_MC06
    The bouncing reps lead to more time under tension (leading to more hypertrophy).

There is a fine line between the bouncing technique you mentioned and poor/dangerous form, be careful.

I prefer to perform as many reps to failure using slow and controlled reps, then incorporate the bouncing/partial reps technique to go beyond failure.

T
    great post man

Quote Originally Posted by ~fuelforfire~
    great post man
    ditto!

ascendant is offline Senior Member

T
    yea, i know what you mean here. i tried the technique on a few of my sets the other day and took me a while to get used to it. i can definitely see how inexperienced bb's could have poor form while doing them.

one thing i did notice while doing these is they seem to pump my calves full of more blood than usual. also seems i've noticed the main sticking area when doing calves seems to be the mid-range area. seems as if these kind of bouncing sets were designed to circumvent that sticking area and prevent failure cause of it.

anyway, though i don't think everything the pro's do is a good idea, it's always good to look at their unconventional methods, and when as many of them consistently do things one way despite the norm, there's gotta be something to it. anyway, gonna try doing more of these kind of sets for a while and see how it affects my calf growth.

T

actually i take that back,the above is partly incorrect,if you bounce reps you are using less time under tension as the Eccentric phase would be short as apposed to slow precise movement,although the bounce reps could be used to blast a few extra reps out.

Thread Information