WelshWarrior is offline Senior Member

Does running eat muscle even at THR?

I always do my cardio at 65%-75% of my max heart rate. Recently I have started running at about 9-10 km/hr and my HR stays within this zone.

My question is, does running in this zone burn muscle or am I safe to do it?

BajanBastard is offline VET Retired
    It a huge misconception that cardio 'burns muscle'. Protein is the very last option you body uses for ATP production. Alcohol, carbs and fat is the body's first choice.

Okay, but I want to err on the side of caution as I am cutting. Anyone else want to share their opinion?

helium3 is offline Senior Member
    keep it under an hour and you should be ok,i try to run for 40mins max.

Quote Originally Posted by WelshWarrior
    Okay, but I want to err on the side of caution as I am cutting. Anyone else want to share their opinion?
    BB knows his stuff mate,id listen to him. I do am cardio and keep it under an hour,in doing so ive never experienced any detremantal effects to muscle.

Lovely, thanks folks. I just remember seeing a thread (which I can't find now) in which somebody (possibly SC) said not to jog, but to walk.

Thanks folks. Chuffed with that cos road running breaks up the monotony of the stationary gym equipment!

BajanBastard is offline VET Retired
    The key is to keep your HR up for an extended period of time with minimal stress on your joints. So if walking on an incline does the job do that instead of running/jogging.

Remember though, running/jogging is the cardio activity that transfers its benefits to others. So swimming, riding, playing Bball won't make you a better runner but running with make to a better swimmer, rider, etc. (In respect to VO2 Max)

rockhuddy is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BajanBastard
    It a huge misconception that cardio 'burns muscle'. Protein is the very last option you body uses for ATP production. Alcohol, carbs and fat is the body's first choice.
    Very true. Even if your body has to turn to amino acids for energy, those in the liver will be depleted before aminos are taken from the muscles. All in all, burning muscle as a fuel source isn't too big an issue with cardio; it's pretty much the last thing the body will turn to for energy.

BullDogg20 is offline Member
    I was never a runner, i hated it,
    i recently quit smoking 2 months ago and started to run 5 days a week on my own time other then morning PT with the Military. I am not a Big beliver in making sure you are right in your THR Zone, IMO Running or doing cardio at a higher intensity where your heart rate is much higher will burn more calories and more fat over a longer period of time. I also Believe their is nothing better then running or jogging, yes it can be bad on your joints, but so is squating 400 lbs.

Thread Information