gnew70 is offline New Member

Suats and tall guys?

Are leg presses a good substitute for squats? I know how important squats are to the overall body, but I am 6'6 and I feel my squat depth is lacking, any other tall guys have this problem?

stik is offline Junior Member
    I don't think anything can compete with the squat. I'm around 6'3" and I had to go lighter so I could go ALL the way down with form. It took about 2 weeks for my body to get used to going down to parrallel every time but eventually I could add weight and get that good, deep bend. I actually started with just the barbell for shitloads of reps to lock-in on the feel and form. If your knees are strong just force yourself down. But I do think it's more of a burden on taller guys. Good luck!

THE_DOME is offline Anabolic Member
    i am 6'4 and hate squats, i if your serious youll get em done. get a belt and get down

Triple X is offline Banned
    I wouldn't use them as a substitute. It is too easy to cheat when doing leg press. I feel that squatting puts more overall stress on the entire body so you get more benefit from them. Presses are good because you can adjust your stance to target different areas of the leg.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Go to t - nation . com and look under authors. Click on Dave Tate and look for his article on box squatting. This helped me tremendously. Opening up your stance will decrease the ROM you have to fight through (which is a bitch if you are tall). The box will act as a ROM indicator so you know that you are going deep enough (another tough thing for tall people to do). The box squat also teaches you how to sit back and use your hip extensors (glutes and hamstrings) more efficiently. This will result in greater loads being used.

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple X
    I wouldn't use them as a substitute. It is too easy to cheat when doing leg press. I feel that squatting puts more overall stress on the entire body so you get more benefit from them. Presses are good because you can adjust your stance to target different areas of the leg.
    100% agreed!!leg press can not replace squats or deadlifts , you will get more benfits doing the coor lifts instead of isolated unnatural motions IMO

gnew70 is offline New Member
    I appreciate the responses and I will try and lighten up the weight and get my depth right before going heavy.

BgMc31 is offline Anabolic Member
    There is absolutely NO subsitute for squats!!! I'm a shade under 6'4 (6'3 5/8) and I've had 8 knee surgeries (5 on left 3 on right). And I still squat. The squat is the best excersise in the gym, IMO. Good luck!

Thread Information