technomarine_888 is offline New Member

All about abs and the famous 6 pack

Hey guys been working out for 4 years now. I have grown my arms, chest, legs and shoulders. But I'm wondering why abs never popped those 6 packs ever.

My ab workout is usually : 4 x 30 Leg Raises 4 x 30 Situps 4 x 30 obliques.

Can any1 suggest any workout plans for the abs? any diet suggestions?

Is diet a main factor?

pepperoni is offline Associate Member
    it doesnt matter how many ab exercises u do, they will never show unless you get your body fat low enough. Around 10% they will be visible, and obviously anything below that. This is why it is kinda sad to see an overweight person doing sit ups, when really they just need cardio.

Haro3 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pepperoni
    it doesnt matter how many ab exercises u do, they will never show unless you get your body fat low enough. Around 10% they will be visible, and obviously anything below that. This is why it is kinda sad to see an overweight person doing sit ups, when really they just need cardio.
    agreed. your abs are there. im not even going to train them directly anymore maybe here and there if i feel they are getting weak but all im doing is pushing what fat i have out farther by building them up. get ur bf down and they will come through. crunches dont get you abs diet/cardio does

DNoMac is offline Senior Member
    Aside from having a nice 6 pack, you still want to have good core strength. So it is important you perform your ab excercises regardless of your bodyfat. But like these guys said, if you want to see them, you need to lower the bodyfat to around 10% depending on your genetics. Also, try going heavier with your excercises. You wouldn't do 30 reps every excercise with say chest or back would you? Switch it up

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    yep, core strength and flexability is the key, bf is more critical than the size of your obliques
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

Triple X is offline Banned
    i agree with most of the posts here but I also think that you CAN benefit from doing abs even if your bodyfat is too high. By doing abs you will tighten up the a**ominal area and help improve posture which will lead to the appearance of a flater stomach.

ok point taken lower my bf and have cardio. Any cardio tips for abs?

boarder034 is offline Member
    cardio tips? I hate running on a tredmill, so i jump rope, and play basketball... basketballs fun, if your good at it... Also i heard rumor you can not loose weight while swimming? is this a lie? (sorry to hack your topic)

also try morning cardio, peps ur day up, and itll greatly decrease ur body fat (i hate mornings though).

BUT youll need DIETTTTTT more then any of the others, you can run all you want, but if all you eat is wendys (mmmm wendys) you wont get anywhere

spiderman405 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by technomarine_888
    Hey guys been working out for 4 years now. I have grown my arms, chest, legs and shoulders. But I'm wondering why abs never popped those 6 packs ever.

My ab workout is usually : 4 x 30 Leg Raises 4 x 30 Situps 4 x 30 obliques.

Can any1 suggest any workout plans for the abs? any diet suggestions?

Is diet a main factor?
    yes pepperoni is right. Its all about getting the bodyfat low through diet , cardio, and weights. Although I think you need bodyfat just below 10% to see them good like 8% and under. maybe 9 %

ITALIANMAN is offline Junior Member
    Diet clean drink alot of water do cardio....get bf low your alset bro

lil-SLIM is offline Member
    that rumor about not being able to loose weight swimming is bunk, I dont have alot of body building experience or steroid experience but I do have alot of training in the pool, Swimming laps is the best all around workout u can perform, when u swim u use every muscle in your body

Also swimming laps with flip turns especially will get u a good six pack

that rumor probably got started because people dont think they swet while doing laps but in reality u do its just not recognized easily when ur in the water, obviously, plus how many guys on swim teams do u see that are carrying around extra weight

TR'05 is offline Member
    Swimming isn't ideal for cutting up. It is very difficult to maintain an proper 60-70% MHR while in the pool. I use to swim for cardiovascular endurance....that is what swimming is good for- to get you into cardio shape. If you do it AM-empty stomach it will be very difficult to avoid catabolism.

If you want abs, AM cardio such as an incline walk within the aforementioned THR zone and, of course, I solid diet is the essential component.

Jsik98 is offline Member
    ok point taken lower my bf and have cardio. Any cardio tips for abs?
    Best way to lose fat is to do moderate intensity cardio for 40-60 minutes in the morning, on an emtpy stomach. It takes a lot of commitment, but that's what the pro's do when getting into contest shape so it's obviously the most effective.....The trick is making sure you're burning mostly fat for energy, not glucose. And to do that you don't want food in your system and you don't want to exercise at a high intensity level as glucose will be used for anything over 40-60% of your maximum heart rate. Thing is, I know all this sh-t, but do look ripped to you!? No!! Cause it's a BITCH to stay consistent w/ it! But you got the knowledge now, so good luck!

TR'05 is offline Member
    Don't mean to start up any argument or anything, Jsik, but I think 40% of max heart rate is a little on the low side. For a 20 year old that is only 80 beats per minute. I'd say that he should definately keep it above 60% and under 70%.

That has led to the best results for peopleI have spoken with (gotten advice from) and me.

Ok to sum it up...I have to do cardio exercise in the morning when my stomach is empty for 40-60 minutes???? oh yeah that's a bitch!.. ANY efficient time of running the treads to obtain optimum results?

C_Bino is offline $BAM-7246~AR-Hall of Famer
    Ok to sum it up...I have to do cardio exercise in the morning when my stomach is empty for 40-60 minutes???? oh yeah that's a bitch!.. ANY efficient time of running the treads to obtain optimum results?
    Running, f*ck that man. I get on that treadmill and walk. No need to run and burn those muscles away that you work so hard to build. First thing in the morning empty stomach is perfect, put it on like 2.5 of 3.0 speed on a grade of 8 or 9. Walk for like 30-40 mins.

whats grade of 8 - 9? sorry..

V_Vandetta is offline Senior Member
    Cardeio and diet is key .. all the abe work outs in the world will not bring out them abs ... also as bino stated cardeio first thing in the am 30-45 min is ideal followed with after wrok out cardeio 30-45 ... right diet and training cutting... now were abe work outs come in is when the BF is low then the 6 pack comes out ... but core training can be tough .. also remember that abs like calfs recover the fastest and can be worked 2-3 times a week .. also try working on the lower abs to get the 8 pack .. why work hard for 6 when you have 8 ( most do but gentics will determin what shows ) how they look

Columbus is offline Anabolic Member
    I am at 20 minutes every single morning....12% grade and 3.0 max.....then I cool down and do a sprint for the last 5 so 25 mins total.....

perfectbeast2001 is offline "king of free stuff" / Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by lil-SLIM
    that rumor about not being able to loose weight swimming is bunk, I dont have alot of body building experience or steroid experience but I do have alot of training in the pool, Swimming laps is the best all around workout u can perform, when u swim u use every muscle in your body

Also swimming laps with flip turns especially will get u a good six pack

that rumor probably got started because people dont think they swet while doing laps but in reality u do its just not recognized easily when ur in the water, obviously, plus how many guys on swim teams do u see that are carrying around extra weight
    Swimming is the least effective type of cardio for fat burning. Cardio helps to burn fat thermogenically, water cools the body 20 times more efficiently than air so the thermogenic effect is greatly lessened. And I very much doubt that doing flip turns in the water has any effect on your abs whatsoever.
    Check out the regulars at the swimming pool next time you go, lots of FAT people moaning they cant lose weight!

bump

ptduce is offline New Member
    sprints seem to work for me on the whole cardio thing, i agree that cardio at long periods burn muscle so i try to hit a sprint rest 2min hit a sprint again what do you guys think of this

ptduce is offline New Member
    what you think hyperlite

dhriscerr is offline Senior Member
    I read in an article on bodybuilding.com that if you hit 80-85% MHR for 10-13 minutes is perfect for burning fat without burning muscle because it takes your body so long to come back down that its burning fat the whole time, Who knows? I tried it and its hard to stay at 85% for 10 min, I do know that. But just keep reading and experimenting everybody's body reacts alittle different to different things, if it doesnt work dont beat a dead horse. " The more you know, The more you Grow"

Bojangles69 is offline Banned
    DO situps. Dont underestimate situps because people tell you. The more muscle you have on your stomach the more calories you will burn at resting heart rate. Also get on a lower back machine too. Train EVERY body part. Dont miss ANYTHING. The more muscle you have widespread on your ENTIRE body, the more calories youll burn even sitting in a chair doing absolutely nothing. That is one important point.
    Next is cardio. Obviously on an empty stomach. The first 15 mins you do your still burning things other than fat regardless of an empty stomach (empty stomach still helps a lot though). Its not till after you initially break a sweat when you've reached the fat burning stage.
    Some people say walk. I say F**K that, Im walking all day. Run at 4.5-5.0 for about 30-40 mins after you break a sweat.
    Than at night after you've stopped consuming carbs for a few hours have a protein shake and get your ass on an eliptical and do another 1/2 hour. THe protien will help raise your metabolic rate and stop you from burning "wanted mass". People may disagree with this and I dont care. This is what has ALWAYS worked for me.
    But when your going through a heavy cutting phase NEVER deprive yourself of sleep or proper cutting diet. Nothing like dragging yourself on a treadmill with your eyes half open.
    If you really want to rev things up, go on ebay and buy 1/2 to 1" thick airsoles and put them in your sneakers when you do cardio. You'll have no idea how much this helps till you try it. But I NEVER do cardio now without them.

fenceguy is offline Associate Member
    what does the insoles do?

UberSteroids is offline Anabolic Member
    Haha... yeah, Im at %15.7 bf right now, doing more deadlifts ,squats , core exercises, after I get to where I want to be, I will start cardio to cut up and THEN I will focus on abs when I can see them.
    Great posts fellas.

Thread Information