tard_zone is offline Associate Member

Muscle Hypertrophy

I have two concerns when it comes to increasing muscle size. When I lift, my sets are usually 1-2 warm up sets and 2-3 working sets so roughly 4 sets with 6-8 reps. Doing so my strength has boosted but size gains are not in comparison with strength gains, although size gains are decent. The exercise that I perform consists mainly of compound movements. So my two questions are:

1. To cause muscle hypertrophy, what rep and set range should I be looking at?
    2. For muscle hypertrophy should I be including isolation exercises, if so should they be done before or after main compound exercises (bench press, squat)

BTW: I have been more about gaining strength since surgery, but now that I am at my comfortable strength range, I want to switch to bodybuilding.

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    you need to decide what you want.. big muscles, or strength..

example, i can show you a guy with 16" biceps and he looks really big 8%bf

on the other hand i can show a guy with 20" arms, and strong.. but he looks like a sausage..

what is your diet like..
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

tard_zone is offline Associate Member
    well like I said, I want to switch over to body building. So basically big muscles. I'll give a dumbed down version of my diet because I'm lazy. Bagels, Rice, Pasta, Fish, Potatoes, Chicken, Protein shakes. Usually 3000 calories a day consisting of those foods, sometimes other stuff but those are the usual.

So what rep and set range am I looking at, also what about isolation exercises?

t-gunz is offline MONITOR~ ~ RIP ~ Gone never Forgotten
    i was doing
    4 sets of 12-10-8-6

i don't know if it is hypertrophy or not.. but i seemed to put a fair bit of size for that month i was doing it... now i'm doing 3 sets of 15 for 1 month.... i would also like to know the right sets and reps to do for size...

IronReload04 is offline "Rancid Protein Powder Mastermind Technician"
    here is a video that might help you out

i dont think this guy worried about this and worried about that. he lifted his ass off, went home and ate 450 grams of protein and 1000 grams of carbs

moral of the story, doing somthing sensible routine wise and get it done in the kitchen

o ya here is the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crc_0IfLqBE

as a side note, just worry about progression and eating and size will come

IronReload04 is offline "Rancid Protein Powder Mastermind Technician"
    also one more thing, that guy in that video used somthing like 4-6 reps before failure, i use like 8-11 generally, find your favorite way to do things and kill it

Thread Information