F4iGuy is offline Senior Member

Stronger, not gaining weight, have ?'s

Recently I started training with a partner. My weights have gone up steadily over the past few months. I hit each muscle once per week. I vary my sets/reps but its usually 3 exercises, 4 sets per exercise, reps around 6-10 for each muscle.
    Here's where I'm confused. I've gone up in weights, 10-15 pounds on most exercises, but my bodyweight hasn't budged. What gives? Do i need to do more than 8 reps per set? I'm eating six meals per day, and keeping the calories high. I'm 25, 5'6", 174 lbs., 8% B.f., natural. I know there's a zillion variables but what I'm wondering is if I do more reps, even though I'd sacrafice a little strength, would I gain mass? I'm nervous about going lighter.

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    one part of strength training is that your also training the nervous system to operate more effectively. You may experiance an increase in strength without an overall increase in body wieght. Also you may stay the same weight but your Lean body mass may increase. How long have you been training for? that will be a better way of us helping figuring out your particular situation.

F4iGuy is offline Senior Member
    Started traing at 19, so 5-6 years. I thought I wouldn't hit 170, now I'm on my way to 180. The progress has definetly slowed though. I know the direct route is to up the calories, but I do and just gain fat around the waist. SO I'm wondering what I can do training wise. I'm not sure I'm training my muscles often enough, My routine looks like this:

Mon: Thighs/Bi's
    Thighs: 3 exercises, 4 sets each, reps around 7-9
    Bi's: 3 exercises, 3 sets each, reps 8-10

Tues: Chest/Tri's
    Chest: 3 exercises, 4 sets each, reps around 7-9
    Tris: 3 exercises, 4 sets each, reps around 7-9

Thurs: Back/Shoulders
    Back: 3 exercises, 4 sets each, reps around 7-9
    Shoulders: 3 exercises, 3 sets each, reps 8-10

Fri: Traps/Calves/Abs
    Traps: 3 exercises, 4 sets each, reps around 7-9
    Calves: 2 exercises, 5 sets each, reps around 10-15
    Abs: 3 exercises, 3 sets each, reps 10-30

If I take off one week, I come back and get sore as shit the following week, is that an indicator of anything? I feel like I need to his everything a little more often, so I'm thinking about training wednesday and just taking two days off on the weekend. I don't know, i need a change and I'm getting confused. I know most of the principles but I can't come up with a new routine. I'm so used to looking at my training in 1 week intervals. I'd like to hit each muscle more often, but twice a week would be to much.

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    I think that your split looks ok, one indicator of overtraining is cessation of gains so keep that in mind if you feel you want to lift more.
    If you take a week off and then go back and get sore that just means your muscles are starting to become detrained. Its a perfectly natural effect. The body is lazy and doesnt want to do anymore than it has to so if the stimulus goes away even briefly then it wants to revert to the most cost effective state that it can. Rest is also one of the most important factors in muscle development as well. Just experiment with hitting a muscle group twice a week and see how it goes. Every body's body is different than the next so what works for ronnie coleman most likely doesnt work for Jay Cutler

saberu is offline New Member
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/weis1.htm

Check your weights against this chart. If it says you are on the stronger end for your weight then your nervous system is playing to big a role and increaseing reps and frequency will probably help.

Thread Information