Slaiv is offline Banned

Is this true about cardio?

1. it's better to do your cardio first thing in the morning than any other time of the day?

2. doin cardio on an empty stomach is better than having anything in it?

my friend told me these are very important in maximizing the benefits of cardio. Is this true?

magic32 is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Wrong forum!

But yes.

The goal here is to spend more time burning stored fat than ready fuel. This is why most do post-workout cardio, or splits (10-20mins before & 10-20mins. after).

Sleeping overnight (assuming you didn't have a large carb-based late night meal) puts your body into a semi-fasting state (exhausting all or most stored glycogen). Performing cardio prior to eating takes advantage of this by permitting you to tap stored fat quicker, if not immediately (***ending on the aforementioned glyco ***letion) upon commencement.

M.

Dog-Slime is offline Senior Member
    So which do you think is better, cardio on an emty stomach or cardio immediately after working out? Or are they about even?

goonstopher is offline Junior Member
    Just drink a little BCAA and maybe take yohimbine hcl... Yohimbine has been shown to be most effective in the absence of insulin and the BCAA will help you maintain muscle mass. Also caffiene based energy pills or fat burners are not ideal on an empty stomach because they can alter blood sugar and potentially increase catabolism.

nrobleski is offline Associate Member
    yeah whats up with post workout cardio as opposed to empty stomach...I wait 3 hrs after eating to do cardio but if I can just do it postworkout I might be saving some grief, yet I always like to hammer my pwo meal after I hit weights..

Slaiv is offline Banned
    wonderful posts!!

so cardio in the morning is great!!

and doing cardio on an empty stomach is even better!!!

oh god!!! ima start tom.!!!!

Just strongly consider adding BCAA/crystal light (for flavor) at 10-15g during your cardio and keep the intensity LOW. 3.5ish mhp uphill walk ect because you do not want to make your body search for quick access energy EG glycogen which it can very well create from protein aka muscle in a fasted state.

kynetguy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaiv
    wonderful posts!!

TRUE and TRUE.

The whole idea of AM cardio is to do it before breakfast. Drink a glass of water if you feel hungry to take your mind of an empty stomach. But absolutely drink nothing other than plain water.

Your body if forced to turn to fat for fuel as there is not sugars in your blood from food.

Gotta disagree KY,

I would still pop BCAA and if you feel like getting agressive ever some cortisol blocker like Retain and Yohimbine for the fat releasing properties...

With that combo you are primed to save muscle with the BCAA, burn primarily fat and stop cortisol from cause glucogenisis of your muscle tissue to once again balance calorie burning in favor of adipose tissue...

Quote Originally Posted by goonstopher
    Gotta disagree KY,

I would still pop BCAA and if you feel like getting agressive ever some cortisol blocker like Retain and Yohimbine for the fat releasing properties...

With that combo you are primed to save muscle with the BCAA, burn primarily fat and stop cortisol from cause glucogenisis of your muscle tissue to once again balance calorie burning in favor of adipose tissue...
    I am sorry. I wasn't disagreeing with your supplements. I actually meant to be stressing plain water as opposed to gatorade or some other sugar containing liquid/food.

I have never tried BCAA myself. But I have read lots of information that agrees to your statements.

It's all good, I am a believer in certain supplements for certain purposes. We really don't even know enough about this guy to be going this in***th and talk about muscle preservation or even not just saying go search! Oh yeah and to the guy who asked this... GO SEARCH! ha this has been asked 1000 times

wonderful posts!!

SURPRISED THIS WASN'T MOVED.

Empty stomach in the morning is BEST.
    Post-workout is GOOD.

If you want to add BCAAs or anything for that matter...NOT prior to working out. This defeats the purpose of not having any reserves...even though digestion time is substantial and the nutrients won’t necessarily be available until later there are certain caveats to consider here especially in the wake of total ***letion. Don't worry about muscle sparing, catabolism won't set in prior to breakfast, that's just funny!

Probably THE single most important factor to remember is the "Fat Burning Zone" as it can very easily be over or undershot. Both of these necessarily burn calories, but the former is for endurance while the latter is simply caloric. The Zone is very specific, and if utilized properly coaxes your body to release reserves.

M.

Quote Originally Posted by magic32

Empty stomach in the morning is BEST.
    Post-workout is GOOD.

If you want to add BCAAs or anything for that matter...NOT prior to working out. This defeats the purpose of not having any reserves...even though digestion time is substantial and the nutrients won’t necessarily be available until later there are certain caveats to consider here especially in the wake of total ***letion. Don't worry about muscle sparing, catabolism won't set in prior to breakfast, that's just funny!

Probably THE single most important factor to remember is the "Fat Burning Zone" as it can very easily be over or undershot. Both of these necessarily burn calories, but the former is for endurance while the latter is simply caloric. The Zone is very specific, and if utilized properly coaxes your body to release reserves.

M.
    Great post M.

Along with what Magic is saying: There seems to be a LOT of confusion between fat burning, cardio and catabolism.

Cardio DOES NOT cause catabolism when done properly. 30-45 min of cardio keeping your heart rate in THE FAT BURNING ZONE will not wether your muscle to nothingness.

Now, INTENSE cardio, in a below maintenance calorie diet can create a catabolic condition.

No one said do cardio on an empty stomach and then starve. Feed yourself a ballanced post cardio meal. Its not going to take away from y our cardio. The whole point of morning cardio on an empty stomach is to more quickly ***leate glucose and glycogen and force your body to turn to fat for fuel. You can't do this if you eat because once you eat, your blood sugar levels increase and that is burnt for fuel before fat.

Cardio and fat burning really has many schools of though and theory all with science behind them. We can argue BCAA vs Empty vs HIIT all day...

For those who do cardio during the day, continue to observe the Zone (a formula based primarily on your age), but know this…fat burning will not occur prior to READY fuel ***letion. Think of your body as a vehicle with primary and secondary fuel tanks.

Although experts disagree to some extent, ***letion is believed to occur between 25 – 35 minutes after substantial exercise commencement. Obvious caveats include time, composition, and amount of your last meal, however don’t assume that food eaten en route to or at the gym is unavailable for employment because you’d be forgetting about the Sublingual Effect (the absorption of nutrients via the semi-permeable under lining of the tongue). It is this rapid nutrient uptake system that’s responsible for the VERY REAL sense of energy while you eat, even though digestion is a much longer process in which the transfer of energy is via the semi-permeable intestinal wall.

M.

HORSE~ is offline yeah
    Quote Originally Posted by magic32
    LOL....

It is now C-Bino moved it....

AnabolicBoy1981 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by goonstopher
    Cardio and fat burning really has many schools of though and theory all with science behind them. We can argue BCAA vs Empty vs HIIT all day...
    yes. i used to be so specific with the timing. now i just do it when i feel like it, and the results are similar. who knows what the hell is goin on in the body whne you do the stuff? nobody. i think i have come to the conclusion that 2 hours after a meal is good and eat no longer than 20 mins after with not crazy ass amoutns of carbs, might be the best way to limit musle loss. or maybe it just donr matter,
    Just git 'r' done

Slaiv is offline Banned
    man everyone has given me some great posts!!!

this is prob. the most positive, information benefiting thread ive ever created!!

thanks everyone!!!

No problem.
    It was a worthy question.

M.

gym_again_okay is offline New Member
    lol indeed

Slaiv is offline Banned
    yyeeaaaaaa

daspaceman is offline Junior Member
    What about taking, 1 scoop of whey mixed with water just before morning cardio. will this hinder fat loss. whey is not a carb.

ss01 is offline Associate Member
    Keeping the intensity reasonable to low is key to not losing muscle from fasted-state cardio. Unless you are on a good cycle, that is.

Lavinco is offline Anabolic Member
    1. it's better to do your cardio first thing in the morning than any other time of the day? Yes

2. doin cardio on an empty stomach is better than having anything in it? Yes

my friend told me these are very important in maximizing the benefits of cardio. Is this true?
    I'm too tired to read all the replies but did anyone ask if you are trying to lose weight here?

Cardio in the AM on an empty stomach is best when cutting down but don't do this when bulking up.

The idea behind am cardio is to burn stored fuel as apposed to energy you get from food that you just ate.

When there's nothing in the tummy, the required energy has to come from somewhere!
    Kind of a no brainer really.

Slaiv is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by daspaceman
    What about taking, 1 scoop of whey mixed with water just before morning cardio. will this hinder fat loss. whey is not a carb.
    bump on this question

B6Reeze5 is offline New Member
    when exactly are you supposed to take the BCAA supplement?

holden is offline Junior Member
    I take it 45 minutes before I start cardio

bigdogc is offline Associate Member
    wake up, low insulin levels, and run. low insulin levels has been scientifically proven to utilize a better fat to muscle ratio for energy. do not eat any carbs before running, run first thing in the morning.

boxer1 is offline Associate Member
    if you are struggling with energy levels doing cardio on an empty stomach try a cup of black coffee 30 mins before. Caffine is also proven to release more fat cells into blood to burn.

Slaiv is offline Banned
    black coffee? really?!

Thread Information