asvt is offline Junior Member

Does running build mass in your legs

Does running build mass in your legs if so how much could you gain?

Kale is offline ~ Vet~ I like Thai Girls
    Quote Originally Posted by asvt
    Does running build mass in your legs if so how much could you gain?
    You ever seen a runner with big legs ?

boostedevo8 is offline Associate Member
    I've seen some pretty beefed up sprinters....

nalbano34 is offline Member
    It most certainly can. It is all about HOW you run really. You never see long distance runners with much mass at all, but sprinters tend to carry good overall mass. Off course, they have legs like horses. Speed skaters tend to have the same type off builds. So I would say the key is short, all-out sprints to keep it anaerobic. In theory, any short term movement to muscular failure (or close to it) will increase muscle mass IMO. I think it would be a great addition to a workout for varieties sake.

Getinbgr is offline Associate Member
    The reason sprinters and ice skaters have big legs is because they train them with heavy weights.

Quote Originally Posted by Getinbgr
    The reason sprinters and ice skaters have big legs is because they train them with heavy weights.

so your saying they only have big legs because the do heavy weights????.....where do u come up with that one???

bigswole32 is offline Junior Member
    When I start doing cardio again my calves get HUGE!

Renesis is offline Anabolic Member
    Yeah as a soccer player I never worked out my legs and they were always big and cut, the sprinting aspect of it makes your legs pretty strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Renesis
    Yeah as a soccer player I never worked out my legs and they were always big and cut, the sprinting aspect of it makes your legs pretty strong.

bingo.....its all about the lbs of force your legs generate for the sprint......those lbs of force would be the equivalent of doing weights.....

nalbano34 is offline Member
    I thought I was going to actually have to defend my statement against the " because the lift heavy weights" comment. Lifting heavy weights doesn't necessarily incorporate the fast twitch muscles in the same way sprinting does....i.e. a bodybuilder with huge legs ain't gonna run faster than a sprinter, period.

I've trained with various sprinters and skaters. The best were gentically blessed with larger leg muscles, not requiring significant lifting. (Just like there are men with large muscles who don't train). Many others, starting at a young age, conducted heavy-weight training to develop their legs. Thus, unless you're gentically blessed, I don't believe running, alone, will build significant mass.

I believe calves, as faster-twitch muscles, are more apt to grow merely by running than upper leg muscles.

Here's an article by a runner explaining the concept:

http://www.fitness.com/articles/185/...nd_running.php

hey I run all the time and my calves have sucked my entire life...."Former Marine"....I've done sprints in the sand ....ran for miles....ran with a 80 ruck sack on my back and my legs blew up except my calves....

I just have no genes for big calves...:

Quote Originally Posted by boostedevo8
    bingo.....its all about the lbs of force your legs generate for the sprint......those lbs of force would be the equivalent of doing weights.....
    Sprints do not generate near the resistance that heavy weight-training provides. When I'm squatting 250, I hardly think I could generate that same amount of resistance running the 40 yard dash. Moroever, even if the resistance was similar, how many time would I have to run that 40 yard dash to fatigue my muscles?--I better be in primo shape.

Renesis is offline Anabolic Member
    Well actually by sprinting at full speed under your own body weight im pretty sure you will be hitting close to 250lbs of force..... If you weigh anywhere over 160 lbs and then you are running at a full sprint, to come out of like let say a pocket and explode in one direction has to generate a pretty decent amount of force+your weight+defying gravity for split seconds to generate some movement+wind resistance, etc etc.

Huh? You got math to back that up? Sounds like a 100 post to me.

its true I've read that jump when you land its about double your body weight....

perfectbeast2001 is offline "king of free stuff" / Retired
    no it doesn't stop being lazy and go squat....

max2extreme is offline Anabolic Member
    Here's the deal. Answer: No. The more you overload a muscle, the more it breaks down, the more it builds up. Correct? Thats why you see the big guys lifting heavy and the ones who want to tone lifting lighter, more reps. So, if you lift legs, you are overloading your legs more than running (any style), thus for the most part, someone who lifts legs will have bigger legs than someone who just runs. Sprinting vs Long Distance... When you sprint, you are pushing off the ground with a lot of force. In sports like Soccer, you are sprinting in bursts, but sprinting is sprinting. A long distance runner is not using much force to run. They are kind of like the "toners" of weight lifting. They are doing many reps at a much less weight. So their legs are going to be smaller than a sprinter whos legs are going to be smaller than a weight lifter. Of course this is if we take genetics, diet, sport experience, etc out of the equation.

PeteyK is offline Associate Member
    just put em together. squat for size jog for cuts but when u put em together u get beast legs. but i prefer riding a bike for leg cuts, seems to work better for me. Tom Platz used to go on 20k rides after leg workouts and i have a feeling he knew something about training legs...just a hunch

seff is offline New Member
    ive been doing intense cardio for almost a year now in a cutting phase and my legs have taken a HUGE hit in the thickness ***artment

they are as defined as ever, cant pinch a single spot of fat from my feet upto my waiste.. but god are they ever skinny !

Thread Information