slidellsimba2 is offline New Member

advice for leg routine

my leg routine is actually pretty intense and i always feel it for several days which is why i do it on friday so i dont have to go to work sore as all hell.... but i cant get a good calf workout for anything in the world....

my machine allows me to do calf raises bu at the expense of a sore back for 3 days, and sometimes one the 4th set it is hard to get my machine to actually lock into place as the weight is bending the bar, so in fear of getting stuck under 500+ lbs i am asking you guys what are some other good ways to build mass on the calves without doing standing squats, and without paying a monthly membership to a gym for one day a week to go there.... thanks guys

Sir Lifts-a-lot is offline Senior Member
    well what kind of machine do you have? And don't you think it is a good idea to possibly look into a new one if it is failing under the weight you are putting on it?

InsaneInTheMembrane is offline Anabolic Member
    Blog Entries
    Calf muscles are unique in the sense that their composition is mostly slow twitch, so with the exception of a few, the normal 3-4 set 8-15 rep kind of routine will not suffice. Cross training, bicycling, jump-roping and a host of other aerobic activities do a better job at stimulating them. If you notice soccer players or bicyclers, they have poor to average upper body development but their calves are always insanely huge. So, have you always had small calves? Obviously your workouts haven't helped so I'd quit putting myself under 500 lbs, breaking my back and start re-assessing what might need to be done. Try jump-roping for 10-15 minutes after workout twice a week and see how your calves respond after 2 months; you should notice some improvement.
    Last edited by InsaneInTheMembrane; 07-17-2007 at 12:52 AM.

slidellsimba2 is offline New Member
    marcy 4000 total gym...... considering i only use every plate i have when i do calves and calves only, then i really dont see the need to get a new one yet, but possibly sometime within the next year or so.... but thank you for the advice

as for the jump rope and cross training, should it be on workout days or should i consider doing that on the tues/thurs/sun split where i focus on cardio work(bike riding) already.... thanks for the advice fellas ill look into it....

side note/question.... was reading about "strength shoes" and i am curious if anyone has any advice about these.....

Thread Information