maroZ is offline Associate Member

hang clen, why dont anybody do them in the gym?

i used to do these alot years ago, and started again not to long ago. are they even worth addeing in work out?

kaberle_15 is offline Anabolic Member
    Hang clean? Depends on your goals i guess, some people do other things that have less of a chance of injury too.

true, i know its an explsoion work out but just checking

MFT81 is offline Senior Member
    I do about once every 6 weeks or so, sometimes ill do a clean to an overhead press as well.

I have alot of my clients do them. I got a guy who is 65 years old and I have him do them. Just not as heavy.

Phate is offline Got Diet? ~VET~ AR Hall of Famer~
    hang clean is a good overall body exercise, depending on your form though they can be dangerous, i'd use a spot if you do them to limit your risk of injury, are you trying to gain size, increase explosion strength, cut up?

rockinred is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I have never done these....I would like to try them every so often... when do you guys do these? what day of training? it seems like a full body workout.

Quote Originally Posted by phate186 View Post
    hang clean is a good overall body exercise, depending on your form though they can be dangerous, i'd use a spot if you do them to limit your risk of injury, are you trying to gain size, increase explosion strength, cut up?
    mainly for the explosion

Quote Originally Posted by rockinred View Post
    I have never done these....I would like to try them every so often... when do you guys do these? what day of training? it seems like a full body workout.
    i do mine on back days, and doing them first is best, bc for these you need perfect form or you can really hurt your self if your all tired and from other work outs.

rockinred is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maroZ View Post
    i do mine on back days, and doing them first is best, bc for these you need perfect form or you can really hurt your self if your all tired and from other work outs.
    Thanks!! i usually do deads on back.... maybe I will mix it up every so often with these....

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    Because its a dangerous ballistic high risk exercise. Unless your an athlete the risk verse benefit is not there for the average weight lifter.

Sir Lifts-a-lot is offline Senior Member
    Dumb question, but are these the exercise where you start with the bar at your theighs and clean it up to your shoulders/ throat and then back down again? Also, what do they do and to what part of your body?

Also, don't you do a little dance with your feet as well?

green22 is offline Senior Member
    I did them when I was younger. Got lots of soreness in the shoulder, upper back/trap area. But it seems as Ive got older I would always tweak something. I was never using more than 225 either. I just prefer to have a lil more control with a slower pace to my lifts these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Lifts-a-lot View Post
    Dumb question, but are these the exercise where you start with the bar at your theighs and clean it up to your shoulders/ throat and then back down again? Also, what do they do and to what part of your body?

Also, don't you do a little dance with your feet as well?
    http://video.aol.com/video-detail/hang-clean/2415790715

and for your feet dancing question,you jump like a 1/4 of a inch..... while flipping your wrist .

Amorphic is offline Veritas, Aequitas ~
    too dangerous for the average lifter i think.

i wouldnt be doing them.

Ronnie Rowland is offline Author of Functional Training with a Fork
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleScience View Post
    Because its a dangerous ballistic high risk exercise. Unless your an athlete the risk verse benefit is not there for the average weight lifter.
    I agree MuscleScience.

buttercup is offline Banned
    i do my cleans on shoulder day. it is my primary lift on those days. im the only guy ive seen out side of high school do these. i swear by them. IMO they are just as necessary as deads and squats, all of which you will hear people argue the risk out weigh the rewards. if you lift than you will know all of that is bs and what you actually get by doing them.

also this is the exercise kills my abs. i have never had any trouble or pain caused by doing this exercise. but i would recomend doing them at the begening of your work out, b/c if one of your body parts are tiered it will show up in this exercise and could cause you not to be able to do them correctly, injury etc.

another benefit is that every one in the gym will look at you like your a maniac and there will be no question about your dedication.

Thread Information