winger11 is offline New Member

Upper chest not where i want

Guys i've been disappointed with my upper chest. I can't seem to build it up. Anyone have any really good upper chest workouts. On chest days I usually start with flat bench, incline dumbbell press, incline dumbbell flys, decline flys, cable crossovers.
    My max bench is 345. Incline dumbbell 125's
    Any help thanks guys. I just dont have the look i want the strength is there.

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    The muscle is ONE muscle. There is no working just the upper/lower/sideways/ whatever the hell you want to call it.

Matt is offline AR's Hot British Pimp Daddy ~HOF~
    Blog Entries
    ^^ Correct, genetics dictate chest shape..

Ronnie Rowland is offline Author of Functional Training with a Fork
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by winger11 View Post
    Guys i've been disappointed with my upper chest. I can't seem to build it up. Anyone have any really good upper chest workouts. On chest days I usually start with flat bench, incline dumbbell press, incline dumbbell flys, decline flys, cable crossovers.
    My max bench is 345. Incline dumbbell 125's
    Any help thanks guys. I just dont have the look i want the strength is there.
    10 degree declines for starters followed by 10 degree inclines. Flye machine is also good if you are lagging..

molecule is offline Associate Member
    Pectorial! Its one single muscle! ITs genetic! Some ppl show better growth in upper some show lower some show both. When u do any variation, ie. incline, decline, fly etc the chest overall gets worked out.

Also i find decline bench useless.

Matt is offline AR's Hot British Pimp Daddy ~HOF~
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, i dont care what anyone says or believes, incline working the upper chest only and decline working the lower chest only is BS. You either work the chest as a whole or you dont..

Phate is offline Got Diet? ~VET~ AR Hall of Famer~
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD MATT View Post
    Yeah, i dont care what anyone says or believes, incline working the upper chest only and decline working the lower chest only is BS. You either work the chest as a whole or you dont..
    i agree^^^ though i believe that you can put emphasis on which muscle(pec major vs. minor) you are working by manipulating angles

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD MATT View Post
    I understand the principle of your statement but I think it is going to far. If this was the truly the case there would be no need to do more than one single exercise for any muscle. If you look at the insertions of the pectoral muscle it should be easy to see how pushing the arms upwards in an incline movement will activate more muscle fibers in the upper chest than pushing them downwards. Is the WHOLE chest still going to be activated? Yes, but that doesnt mean you cant stress some fibers more than others. Think of doing a straight bar bench press as opposed to a cable of DB fly. The plane of the movement it totally different and the muscle fibers near the sternum need to contract to a greater degree to brings the hands together.

I am not totally discounting Matts statement as I believe there is some validity to it especially with muscles like the soleus which are basically only activated upon one plane of motion.

Thread Information