kalspic is offline Senior Member

post work out cardio

just thinking, after you work out your glycogen is depleted which is when doing cardio is the best but wouldnt doing your cardio make you miss that window of oppertunity to take in the protien to build your muscels after working out? sounds confusing but ill explain better if you dont understand what im saying.

xlxBigSexyxlx is offline CHEMICALLY ENGINEERED
    Blog Entries
    30 minutes of cardio and you'll be fine.

godkilla is offline Senior Member
    i do 20-30mins pwo when i need to and find it quite effective. i wouldnt suggest it after legs though

POPS is offline Senior Member
    i thought the same thing. If im supposed to take a pwo shake after weights what will happen if I wait 30-45 min? Ive been doing cardio pwo for 2 months THEN taking a pwo shake and a banana and have been doing just fine! I know exactly what you mean!

StritationOrBust is offline Associate Member
    I never do cardio after or before weights. My suggestion is always to do your cardio at a different time of day if possible.

kalspic is offline Senior Member
    yea it seems like a contradiction but im still going to do it and thanks from the reasurance

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    Your "anabolic window" is not going to shut in the time in takes you to knock out cardio after working out.

FortKnox36 is offline Associate Member
    Anabolic window is within 45 min after workout! Dont miss the window! It will be pointless to have a protein shake after 45 min.

20min of cardio is effective tho after your workout. So then you will have time.. Just dont do 45 min of cardio.

moregunsthanroses is offline Associate Member
    Sometimes I do up to 40-45 mins after my workout. I have the benefit of being able to have a protein shake inbetween my workout and cardio. Although this isn't something that I always do.

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    Quote Originally Posted by FortKnox36 View Post
    Anabolic window is within 45 min after workout! Dont miss the window! It will be pointless to have a protein shake after 45 min.

20min of cardio is effective tho after your workout. So then you will have time.. Just dont do 45 min of cardio.
    Respectively disagree.

NBRD1808 is offline Associate Member
    So what do people believe to be more beneficial? To do weights and then perform 30-45mins cardio and then consume PWO meal (with the anabolic window/timing comming into question) or would it be more beneficial to do cardio on an empty stomach and then do weights later on in the day?

tripmachine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NBRD1808 View Post
    So what do people believe to be more beneficial? To do weights and then perform 30-45mins cardio and then consume PWO meal (with the anabolic window/timing comming into question) or would it be more beneficial to do cardio on an empty stomach and then do weights later on in the day?

I say doing 20-30 minutes of cardio after a workout is perfectly fine! It works very very well and I'm still building muscle just fine! Actually my body is transforming much nicer doing cardio after a workout.... I never would before about 3-4 weeks ago...Now I will never skip my PWCardio. If you want to do more than 30 mins of cardio after a workout I would do cardio at a seperate time too. I just think 30 mins. is the most that should be done after weights...

Narkissos is offline AR-Hall of Famer ~Diet Guru~
    Blog Entries
    Rubbish.

Whole-body protein synthesis is increased for 24+ hours after a workout.

Cardio won't result in one 'missing the window'.

Many competitive bodybuilders do up to 90 minutes post-workout, eat a meal (not even a shake) and continue to get bigger and more ripped.

All the while Joe average is reading the back of a muscletech container for bodybuilding advice.

While i wouldn't advise 90 minutes (though i have done it myself while prepping for a competition), I would say that there's nothing wrong with pwo cardio.

It's the only type of cardio i do... after many years of trial and error.

-CNS

xlxBigSexyxlx is offline CHEMICALLY ENGINEERED
    Blog Entries

LOL

uuummmm

Ill give that a big fat no!

Quote Originally Posted by *Narkissos* View Post
    Rubbish.

Whole-body protein synthesis is increased for 24+ hours after a workout.

Cardio won't result in one 'missing the window'.

Many competitive bodybuilders do up to 90 minutes post-workout, eat a meal (not even a shake) and continue to get bigger and more ripped.

All the while Joe average is reading the back of a muscletech container for bodybuilding advice.

While i wouldn't advise 90 minutes (though i have done it myself while prepping for a competition), I would say that there's nothing wrong with pwo cardio.

It's the only type of cardio i do... after many years of trial and error.

-CNS
    So I am wrong? But why even a protein shake after your workout then? I always thought it is better to have whey protein after workout because it is a fast digesting protein. So it absorbs quicker... Are pwo shakes just a big marketing scheme then? It doesnt really matter when you have the shake? I can go home and have chicken and rice instead and that would be just as beneficial?

there is evidence that extra protein taken immediately after strenuous exercise is more important than extra protein ingested later. For example, in a study carried out at the Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Nashville, Tennessee, exercisers trained for a total of 60 minutes and then took in 10 grams of protein, eight grams of carbohydrate, and three grams of fat – either immediately after the exercise or three hours later. A key part of the story was that carbohydrate uptake by the leg muscles and whole-body carbohydrate utilisation were stimulated threefold and 44%, respectively, when the nutrients were taken right after exercise, as opposed to three hours later. Those are good things, because leg-muscle carb uptake can restore glycogen to leg muscles which are glycogen-depleted following prolonged exercise, and whole-body carb metabolism can provide energy for physiological recovery processes (“Postexercise Nutrient Intake Timing in Humans Is Critical to Recovery of Leg Glucose and Protein Homeostasis,” Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab, Vol. 280(6), pp. E982-993, 2001).

What about the protein story, though? As it turned out, muscles achieved a net gain of essential and non-essential amino acids, the building blocks of muscle proteins, when the nutrients were taken on board right after exercise; when the nutritional supplement was utilised three hours later, there was a net protein loss in leg muscles. Although the supplement did not curb actual protein breakdown when it was consumed right after exercise, it did boost protein synthesis, elevating leg-muscle-phenylalanine-protein synthesis threefold, compared with waiting to eat (phenylalanine is a key amino acid utilised to create muscle protein). As the researchers concluded, it is important to initiate protein intake very soon after exercise, because such protein consumption can kick-start protein synthesis in the muscles which have been heavily involved in the exertion.

Narkissos is offline AR-Hall of Famer ~Diet Guru~
    Blog Entries
    ^^You should really expand your reading past the back of supplement bottles. Also, you should try something other than copying and pasting when formulating your replies.

Let's start here:

Pre-workout meals stimulate higher protein synthesis as compared to post-workout[1]... this is why many practice pre-workout and intra-workout feedings w/ preference.

After resistance exercise, protein synthesis remains elevated anywhere between 24 and 48 hours.[2][3][4] By the way, glucogen replenishment is another 24-hour activity. It is commonly, and incorrectly, perpetuated that insulin sensitivity is higher for one hour post-workout. Koopman et. al. showed that whole-body insulin sensitivity remains elevated for 24 hours post-workout.

I mean jeez, I could go on and on.

But, do you really want me to?

-CNS

References:

1. Tipton KD, Rasmussen BB, Miller SL, Wolf SE, Owens-Stovall SK, Petrini BE, Wolfe RR. Timing of amino acid-carbohydrate ingestion alters anabolic response of muscle to resistance exercise. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2001 Aug;281(2):E197-206

2. Tipton KD, Borsheim E, Wolf SE, Sanford AP, Wolfe RR. Acute response of net muscle protein balance reflects 24-h balance after exercise and amino acid ingestion. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2003 Jan;284(1):E76-89.

3. MacDougall JD, Gibala MJ, Tarnopolsky MA, MacDonald JR, Interisano SA, Yarasheski KE. The time course for elevated muscle protein synthesis following heavy resistance exercise. Can J Appl Physiol. 1995 Dec;20(4):480-6.

4. Phillips SM, Tipton KD, Aarsland A, Wolf SE, Wolfe RR. Mixed muscle protein synthesis and breakdown after resistance exercise in humans. Am J Physiol. 1997 Jul;273(1 Pt 1):E99-107.

5. Koopman R, Manders RJ, Zorenc AH, Hul GB, Kuipers H, Keizer HA, van Loon LJ. A single session of resistance exercise enhances insulin sensitivity for at least 24 h in healthy men. Eur J Appl Physiol. 2005 May;94(1-2):180-7.

tripmachine is offline Senior Member
    i love food

Quote Originally Posted by *Narkissos* View Post
    ^^You should really expand your reading past the back of supplement bottles. Also, you should try something other than copying and pasting when formulating your replies.

Let's start here:

Pre-workout meals stimulate higher protein synthesis as compared to post-workout[1]... this is why many practice pre-workout and intra-workout feedings w/ preference.

After resistance exercise, protein synthesis remains elevated anywhere between 24 and 48 hours.[2][3][4] By the way, glucogen replenishment is another 24-hour activity. It is commonly, and incorrectly, perpetuated that insulin sensitivity is higher for one hour post-workout. Koopman et. al. showed that whole-body insulin sensitivity remains elevated for 24 hours post-workout.

I mean jeez, I could go on and on.

But, do you really want me to?

-CNS

References:

1. Tipton KD, Rasmussen BB, Miller SL, Wolf SE, Owens-Stovall SK, Petrini BE, Wolfe RR. Timing of amino acid-carbohydrate ingestion alters anabolic response of muscle to resistance exercise. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2001 Aug;281(2):E197-206

2. Tipton KD, Borsheim E, Wolf SE, Sanford AP, Wolfe RR. Acute response of net muscle protein balance reflects 24-h balance after exercise and amino acid ingestion. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2003 Jan;284(1):E76-89.

3. MacDougall JD, Gibala MJ, Tarnopolsky MA, MacDonald JR, Interisano SA, Yarasheski KE. The time course for elevated muscle protein synthesis following heavy resistance exercise. Can J Appl Physiol. 1995 Dec;20(4):480-6.

4. Phillips SM, Tipton KD, Aarsland A, Wolf SE, Wolfe RR. Mixed muscle protein synthesis and breakdown after resistance exercise in humans. Am J Physiol. 1997 Jul;273(1 Pt 1):E99-107.

5. Koopman R, Manders RJ, Zorenc AH, Hul GB, Kuipers H, Keizer HA, van Loon LJ. A single session of resistance exercise enhances insulin sensitivity for at least 24 h in healthy men. Eur J Appl Physiol. 2005 May;94(1-2):180-7.
    Yea, but is protein synthesis the same level of elevation 48hrs as it is 1 hr after resistance training?

elpropiotorvic is offline Senior Member
    Narkissos knows his thing ...good advice

Thread Information