Dukkit is offline Vitamin Enhanced Sociopathic Post Whore

I miss Deadlifts. (2 Bulged Discs)

I found out a few months ago I have 2 bulged discs in lower spine. L4 an L5 positions. Along with arthritis. I dont care bout the arthritis, everyone has that some where.

But since hurting my back I have been urged by docs and physical therapists to lay off squats, deads. Heavy compound lifts such as those.

I really miss them! Especially deads and rack pulls. My favorite exercises!!

So my question... who has experience with bulged discs?

What can I do to either make deads safer or make up for deads?

I was going to start rack pulls soon. Just keep super super light weight, be very strict on form, and focus on muscle contraction more.

Anyone have any advice or ideas??

Much obliged guys!!

FYI : I am doing physical therapy exercises to strengthen the muscles along where my bulged discs are. I take a muscle relaxer before bed to help keep from waking up with locked up back in the middle of night. I alternate between ice and heating pad on my back a few times throughout day also. Definately does help.

matt77 is offline Member
    I know exactly where your coming from. I just had surgery on L5-S1 and my L4-L5 is bulged. To be honest I am scared to death to do any heavy lifts. My Doc said no more heavy compounds ever unless I want to quciken how fast I want to get cut on again. I know this is not what anyone who is serious about lifting wants to hear but the machines are about the only option to work the lower body without a large risk of blowing a disc out. As you know the pain is horrible and I'll will gladly use the leg press and cable machines for my lower body to keep the pain away.

yeah ive been hittin leg presses hard. lately ive been doing smith machine lunges and even light squats. kind of just have to listen to my body. if my back is tight and tense i lay off.

Kratos is offline I feel accomplished
    leg press is the worst thing you can do, you'd be better off squatting
    you can minimize by doing leg press 1 legged with the other foot planted on the floor

stiff leg deads aren't too bad
    for my back it's ligiment issues so they're out, but the compressive forces aren't too nasty and that's your main concern with buldge

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dukkitdalaw View Post
    yeah ive been hittin leg presses hard. lately ive been doing smith machine lunges and even light squats. kind of just have to listen to my body. if my back is tight and tense i lay off.
    Go see the chiro,
    “If you can't explain it to a second grader, you probably don't understand it yourself.” Albert Einstein

"Juice slow, train smart, it's a long journey."
    BG

"In a world full of pussies, being a redneck is not a bad thing."
    OB

Body building is a way of life..........but can not get in the way of your life.
    BG

No Source Check Please, I don't know of any.

Depressed? Healthy Way Out!

Tips For Young Lifters

MuscleScience Training Log

thanks kratos

why do you say that Musclescience??

i actually was seeing one for a few months. didnt feel like it helped.

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dukkitdalaw View Post
    thanks kratos

why do you say that Musclescience??

i actually was seeing one for a few months. didnt feel like it helped.
    Did he tell you if you were gaining any disc height back?

Unfortunately with none surgical interventions it takes a long period of time to bring the disc material and the disc itself back into it proper biomechanical relationship with the spine. Its a degenerative process and doesnt usually happen over night. So it requires long term treatment to see improvement.

Also if you didnt like your chiro you could always try another one. There are many different types of practicing chiropractors that use different methods and techniques it is really a matter of how you and the doctor fit. Just like any other profession.
    “If you can't explain it to a second grader, you probably don't understand it yourself.” Albert Einstein

"Juice slow, train smart, it's a long journey."
    BG

"In a world full of pussies, being a redneck is not a bad thing."
    OB

Body building is a way of life..........but can not get in the way of your life.
    BG

No Source Check Please, I don't know of any.

Depressed? Healthy Way Out!

Tips For Young Lifters

MuscleScience Training Log

thanks

I don't want to attack chiro's here and get into a big debate about it but...I wouldn't bother going back.

matt77 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kratos View Post
    leg press is the worst thing you can do, you'd be better off squatting
    you can minimize by doing leg press 1 legged with the other foot planted on the floor

stiff leg deads aren't too bad
    for my back it's ligiment issues so they're out, but the compressive forces aren't too nasty and that's your main concern with buldge
    Why do say that using the leg press is the worst thing you can do? I was told by my Doc that the leg press is the closest thing to a squat I should be doing preferably the incline. Because they are both seated and put most of the pressure from the weights on your hip joints and laterally on the spine in stead of compressing it.

Quote Originally Posted by matt77 View Post
    Why do say that using the leg press is the worst thing you can do? I was told by my Doc that the leg press is the closest thing to a squat I should be doing preferably the incline. Because they are both seated and put most of the pressure from the weights on your hip joints and laterally on the spine in stead of compressing it.
    The spine undergoes significant compression and shear (the pelvis tends to rotate backwards) with this machine, especially at end range of motion. These are the worst types of forces for disc problems. You don't want to compress that jelly donut at all when it's already about to burst. The spine is not neutral and it's a bad exercise even with good form...but when people go heavy they often lift their ass and that makes it even worse.

Leg press one legged with one foot on the ground isn't bad though, the forces on the spine are much lower and you're still working the intended muscle, so just do it that way. It takes longer, to do your sets, but whatever.

Squats load your spine by virtue of axial load (like pressing st8 down on your head). This also is a compressive force and is nasty for the disc, although you're sharing some of the load with the posteior column. It lacks the mechanical advantage of the leg press, because it is a more natural position for the spine. So in my mind the leg press is worse...and many professionals agree. It's debateable what is worse, but it isn't debatable that it puts bad forces on the disc space.

matt77 is offline Member
    Thanks for the info. What leg exercises would you recommend for guys with low back injuries and/or surgery?

well today is leg day

so im gonna try 1 leg presses. and maybe smith front squats

well i did one leg presses today. im a big fan. i could totally feel the difference in spine pressure. plus i could really concentrate on each leg.

thanks kratos!

Thread Information