quarry206 is offline Senior Member

dips, sit ups, pull ups. over training

If you are doing a 4 day split of a more power lifting style work out. how often could you throw in dips, push ups, pull ups and things of that nature.

my usual workout is

day 1 chest
    day 2 back
    day 3 legs
    day 4 triceps, lock outs
    day 5 light shoulder

i was wondering if i were to do a set of 30 dips or push ups a day, 10 pull ups or 30 sit ups it would be a good muscle training thing without getting into over training...

anybodies thoughts

i love power lifting, but because of my military career and normal life need endurance in some of the areas and want to work more on them.

BASIC QUESTION IS.. DOES LIGHT SETS EFFECT OVER TRAINING IF THEY ARE PURELY FOR ENDURANCE?
    Last edited by quarry206; 02-20-2010 at 10:01 PM.

goodlifting is offline Associate Member
    it would be difficult to improve or get any gains doing a powerlifting style workout with edurance range reps everyday. even on auxiliary exercises like pullups, dips, and pushups. you will overtrain.

what i would suggest is divide your program into phases: phase 1 - endurance, phase 2 - power, phase 3 - explosive, phase 4 - peaking.

endurance: 10 reps
    power: 5 reps
    explosive: 3 reps
    peaking: 1-2 rep max

so for powerlifting an example for the edurance phase with 10 reps would be:

squat: 10 rep max
    deadlift: 10 rep max
    bench: 10 rep max
    split these exercises throughout the week along with any auxiliary exercises you need to do.

realize that each phase is completed in a certain amount of weeks: 10 reps for 4-5 weeks, 5 reps for 3-4 weeks, 3 reps for 2 weeks, and a week of peaking.

you can adjust the number of reps for each phase and the number of weeks for each phase.

this is the program the U.S. olympic weightlifting team uses so it ain't bullshit.

you are not going to get any stronger or improve your endurance if you simply train the crap out of it everyday instead of developing all of the phases explained above.

Thread Information