I've recently started working out with my husband, however, he is a large guy that has been working out for years and does a powerlifter's type workout. I, on the other hand, want to weight train for the purpose of losing body fat and toning and slimming. I've read several articles regarding weight training for females and most of them have differing opinions on routines. I don't have any experience weight training on my own and there aren't any personal trainers floating around our gym to help people on the floor (unless you're a paying client). The last time I seriously weight trained was a few years ago and I lost 6% body fat in 2 months, but I had a personal trainer at the time telling me what to do. I'm saying all of this to come to this point: my husband does his splits and waits 3 minutes between sets (going for strength more than hypertrophy) and I just do what he does, but at a lower weight of course...will this help or hinder me in my goal of losing fat and replacing it with lean muscle as quickly as possible? (I also do cardio 6 days a week for 45 minutes to an hour).

I don't know my exact weight or body fat percentage...but I'm 29 years old and 5'9" tall:
(attempting to attach a recent picture so you can get an idea of my body type)Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PIS[6] (2).jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	63.5 KB 
ID:	105787