jg42058p is offline Member

Shin splints: exercises to help overcome

Hey are there any exercises that might help with overcoming shin splints?

peachfuzz is offline Anabolic Member
    Rest is the only way to overcome.

also anytime your sitting down raise the front of your foot while keeping the heal planted over and over to strengthen the area. do this anytime anywhere.

andyr99 is offline New Member
    Hey dude I had the same problem that kept coming back I went to physio to get it sorted it turned out I have flat feet & my shoes weren't supportive enough so get that looked at first, there are a few things you can do but the main thing is rest it I know it sucks but keep going & it'll get worse & can take months to come good, it's actually the tendon that sits between your shin bone & your calf that if used too much can become swollen you can feel it if you push on the inside of your leg in the area that hurts, firstly get an anti inflammatory cream & rub that area up & down with your thumb hard it'll hurt like hell trust me but you need to loosen in up so really get in there, secondly do lots of calf stretches by putting your toes on a wall or something & leaving your heel on the ground & squat down you'll feel it hit that area better than just standing straight, do this everyday for a couple of weeks & it will be much better, hope this helps.

BigBuck6 is offline Associate Member
    I have always been under the impression that shin splints a result of muscle imbalances in the legs and therefore training the underlying culprit would rid yourself of the pain.

terraj is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Have you had it diagnosed?

What is giving you the pain?

My time with shin splints was fixed with rest, ice and some physio...but we might have be better ways today...

andyr99 is offline New Member
    Yeah like I said I have flat feet so that would definitely cause the issue for the most part but it's like when you start lifting weight you can't go from doing none to hitting the gym 7 days a week without building up to it you'll just end up doing damage from over working your body, my physiotherapist said it's the same principal you can't go from sitting on the sofa to running 5 miles a day you'll get shin splints very quickly if susceptible & loosening up that tendon can relieve the swelling which causes the pain I'm sure there may be more to it but nobody else was giving any input so I'm just passing in what worked for me.

Twist is offline "AR's Personal Trainer"
    like the above poster said, massage the area, rest. The best strengthening exercise is to find a steep hill, and run down it. When you are trying to slow yourself down you really work that area. Anyway you could also put a weight on your toes and try lifting them... but do that at home cuz if you are in the gym doing that I'm gonna make fun of you.

HawaiianPride. is offline AR's Think Tank
    The R.I.C.E.R. regimen always worked very well for my shin splints when I was a young kid.

chris66 is offline New Member
    My uncle has ran marathons his whole life, and he told me what he did to help cure/prevent shin splints was hang a pail of paint on his toes while sitting and lift up and down at the ankle while sitting. It gives the tendon in your shin a real good stretching.

Thread Information