Wayacrucis is offline Associate Member

Not trainning legs = Easier to maintain a bigger upperbody?

This is just a small theory I was thinking of. I of course train legs like every other muscle, however I just wanted to know if this makes sense.

So ignoring the leg muscles, (Quads/Glutes/Hams/Calves) would essentially lower say a bodybuilder that would normally weight 230lbs to 205-210lbs, as a fair quantity of muscle mass is in the lower portion of the body. Therefore, wouldn't the bodybuilders body:

a) Require less protein.
    b) Require less Calories.
    C) An extra rest day during the week to recover, or train a lagging muscle of the upperbody.

Mainly due to the body requiring less Protein and Calories does this not mean one would have an easier time maintaining a bigger upperbody if the leg muscles are not trained?

RaZr is offline Member
    And look like a fool who would get blown by the wind like a sail...
    Interesting thought, I have no idea.

l2elapse is offline That don't kill me, can only make me stronger
    squats flood the body with nutrition...squats are the king of any exercise

billyyb is offline Junior Member
    yesss doing squats and other big leg movements also increases your hormone levels so it can actually help your upper body to train legs. also ppl look stupid with tiny legs and huge upper bodys lol

BigBuck6 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billyyb View Post
    yesss doing squats and other big leg movements also increases your hormone levels so it can actually help your upper body to train legs. also ppl look stupid with tiny legs and huge upper bodys lol
    ^This.

SuperLift is offline Senior Member
    Opposite. When you exercise legs your whole body will grow and get stronger. Hormones are released when muscles are worked. Legs are half of your body. Why not work them?

MR-FQ320 is offline This means war!
    IMO I dont think you could grow outrageously disproportionately I think we are all genetically structured to be some what balanced, for example look at 100m sprinters, you might think that they would have massive legs and really small upper bodies, they have to grow in proportion, I think its the same with BB to get past your genetic limit you have to be in proportion.

billyyb is offline Junior Member
    I remember talking to a bb once and he said that it was their theory and scientists theory that if someone just did squats their whole body would grow

M302_Imola is offline Knowledgeable Member
    more muscle = more calories required/burnt
    more muscle = increased BMR
    So if you quit doing legs and lose 15-20 lbs. in turn reduce cals/protein I think it would be difficult to maintain your upper body muscle mass and would be close to impossible to improve upper body muscle mass. You have to feed the machine to get the energy expenditure...bottom line! Not to mention what others have mentioned about the releasing of hormones on heavy leg day.

Thread Information