BadNewsBerto is offline Associate Member

Question Early morning weight training

As you guessed by my title I'm looking for some tips on early morning weight

training. Due to new obligations on the home front, Ive decided to start

training early morning. So far the plan is to wake up at 5AM and slam a premade

shake containing 1/3 cup oats, 1 scoop protein, 1 cup frozen mixed berries, 1

cup milk, and a few ice cubes immediately upon waking up. After that hop in the

shower get ready and have a cup of coffee on my way to the gym to be on the

weights by 6AM. I want to be finished everything at the gym by 7-715 and

have a pwo shake containing i scoop protein and 1 scoop glycocarb. I'm

planning on starting this next Monday and will also be running 50prop 50tren 50

win ED for the next 6 weeks. This will be my first attempt at training early

morning and i want to give it the best chance for success i can. BTW im cutting at the moment

1) How does my preWO and postWO look to you? Any suggestions in that regard?

2)Is there anyone on the board who trains early morning? what is your experience been like as far as gains? Any additional tips you have for me?

3)Is there any benefits/pitfalls you can think of, or preferably have experienced, when it comes to early morning training?

4)Am i leaving enough/too much time for digestion of my preWO shake prior to training?

Thanks for taking the time! Appreciate it!
    Last edited by BadNewsBerto; 08-06-2011 at 12:57 PM.

BadNewsBerto is offline Associate Member
    Heres my training program as well if anyones interetsed.

monday - legs
    smith machine squats
    hack squats
    leg ext
    leg curls
    calves

tues - chest/tris
    incline bench
    flat flyes
    incline DB
    low pulley cable flye
    overhead DB press
    close grip bench
    weighted dips

wed - back/bis
    t-bar row
    seat row
    upright row
    straight bar curl
    altenating DB curl
    rev grip preacher curl
    lower back extensions

thurs - rest

fri - chest/calves
    decline flye
    flat bench
    decline DB press
    chest pullovers
    seated calf raises
    hack squat calf extensions

sat - shoulders
    overhead shoulder press
    lateral raises (all 3 angles, super sets)
    shrugs

sun - rest

gmantheman is offline Associate Member
    I also do early morning workouts. Wake up at 3:45-4:00 and hit the gym around 5-to 5:10 A:M. Regarding your pre-workout meal, I guess you will have to experiment, but I go with a "lighter" pre-workout meal. Pre-workout is is either 1scoop of Acclerade or cytomax and about 1 scoop of protein powder mixed with water. This has about 20-25 grams carbs and 25-30 grams protein. Post workout is the same except I add and extra scoop or 2 of acclerde of cytomax. This gives me about 60 grams of carbs. I also have an energy drink or coffee pre-workout.

gmantheman is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BadNewsBerto View Post
    Heres my training program as well if anyones interetsed.

monday - legs
    smith machine squats
    hack squats
    leg ext
    leg curls
    calves

tues - chest/tris
    incline bench
    flat flyes
    incline DB
    low pulley cable flye
    overhead DB press
    close grip bench
    weighted dips

wed - back/bis
    t-bar row
    seat row
    upright row
    straight bar curl
    altenating DB curl
    rev grip preacher curl
    lower back extensions

thurs - rest

fri - chest/calves
    decline flye
    flat bench
    decline DB press
    chest pullovers
    seated calf raises
    hack squat calf extensions

sat - shoulders
    overhead shoulder press
    lateral raises (all 3 angles, super sets)
    shrugs

sun - rest
    Regarding your workout it should be re-worked. First your leg workout lacks hip/glute movements. I would replace the smith machine squats with regular barbell squats. This is just one example of many that would be better than the one you posted:
    Legs:
    Barbell squats
    Romanian Deadlifts
    A1) dumbbel split squats
    A2) dumbbell step ups

Do a set of split squats, rest 60-90 sec, do a set of step ups and rest 60-90 sec. Also, why are doing shoulders the day after doing chest and why are working chest 2xper weeks? Shoulders already get workout when doing chest. Here is a split that would work much better.

mon legs
    tues shoulders/tris
    wed rest
    thurs back/bi
    fri chest
    sat/sun rest.

or
    Mon chest/bi
    Tues legs
    Wed Rest
    Thurs shoulders/trs
    Fri Back
    Sat/sun rest

djdizzy is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BadNewsBerto View Post

1) How does my preWO and postWO look to you? Any suggestions in that regard?

2)Is there anyone on the board who trains early morning? what is your experience been like as far as gains? Any additional tips you have for me?

3)Is there any benefits/pitfalls you can think of, or preferably have experienced, when it comes to early morning training?

4)Am i leaving enough/too much time for digestion of my preWO shake prior to training?

Thanks for taking the time! Appreciate it!
    1. I pretty much have the same for my morning shake sans the milk, sometimes I will switch it up with 1/2 cup liquid egg whites, 1/2 scoop protein and 1/2 cup oatmeal and 1 tbsp dextrose.

2. I don't think there is a difference in gains whether you work out morning or night. As long as you are getting the proper nutrition and rest you are good to go.

3. The benefits are that the gym will be less crowded in the morning which I love. The only pitfall I see is that I still wake up early on the weekends or days I don't workout. Which sucks when you want to sleep in, but I'm sure this affects everyone a little differently.

4. I think its plenty of time. I wake up, have my shake, drop a deuce, have my pre workout drink and head to the gym. Usually at the gym within 45min-1hr of having the shake and have plenty of energy and never feel bloated or full.

Thread Information