alex2399 is offline New Member

partial reps vs full r.o.m

just wanted to know what you guys think about partials, i've read many books that tell you to do full r.o.m, but i have seen many huge guys use only partials.

your opinions?

baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    Use Full ROM untill you cannot perform full ROM with perfect form....

If you wish to push the set a bit further you can perform partials

Partials can be used as a shock tactic but IMO you dont really need to perform all you your sets as partials...

It can be a tool used by powerlifters
    Don't be a 'Bro'..... Believe nothing....Question everything

Baseline - Working to phase out this generation of Bro-Scientists

Stop over thinking nutrition - If you want something to think about download Myfitnesspal and learn how to count macros

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    I think this is a subject that never really get the attention in deserves. I agree with Base in that the vast majority of the time we should all strive for full ROM. Problem is most people dont understand what full ROM is for the muscle they are working. I see people all of the time doing reverse pec dec for rear delts and the ROM is hands almost touching in the front and hands well behind shoulders on contraction. Each lever ends up moving a good 24-36 inches. Your full ROM on rear delts is MAYBE 12 inches at the most. So many people overstretch the target muscle which takes tension off of it. Chest exercises seem to have the same issue, especially with DB's. I swear every fool in the gym does only the top 1/3 of the movement anymore using 5x the weight they need if they actually did them correctly and worked the bottom 2/3rd's of the movement that truly targets the chest.

I could go on and on with just about every exercise that gets used. Back exercises are probably the biggest culprit of all of them with people not understanding where the back stretch end and the bicep stretch takes over.

Quote Originally Posted by FireGuy View Post
    I think this is a subject that never really get the attention in deserves. I agree with Base in that the vast majority of the time we should all strive for full ROM. Problem is most people dont understand what full ROM is for the muscle they are working. I see people all of the time doing reverse pec dec for rear delts and the ROM is hands almost touching in the front and hands well behind shoulders on contraction. Each lever ends up moving a good 24-36 inches. Your full ROM on rear delts is MAYBE 12 inches at the most. So many people overstretch the target muscle which takes tension off of it. Chest exercises seem to have the same issue, especially with DB's. I swear every fool in the gym does only the top 1/3 of the movement anymore using 5x the weight they need if they actually did them correctly and worked the bottom 2/3rd's of the movement that truly targets the chest.

I could go on and on with just about every exercise that gets used. Back exercises are probably the biggest culprit of all of them with people not understanding where the back stretch end and the bicep stretch takes over.
    let's take chin-ups for example, for my last reps sometimes i only do the part where my upper arms are parallel with the floor to be able to continue until complete failure, good for the biceps or upper back?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EP-OYrkdFX8

that's the kind of rep im talking about, i've seen many guys do only this kind of r.o.m.

baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    Ahhhh Ok, i thought you were talking about specific 'Partial' training.... RAck pulls or floor presses for example...

Personally I dont thinkt he way ronnie is benching is the most effective........ however who am I to say that when you look at him...

Id say that a full ROM just shy of lock out would recruit more fibre and fatigue the muscle further if done correctly with controlled eccentrics and not bouncing the weight up in the concentric
    Don't be a 'Bro'..... Believe nothing....Question everything

Baseline - Working to phase out this generation of Bro-Scientists

Stop over thinking nutrition - If you want something to think about download Myfitnesspal and learn how to count macros

Thread Information