Armykid93 is offline Productive Member

How important are deadlifts?

Ive never done them but Ive taught myself what I know about working out so I didnt know they should be a priority. Anybody got any vids on correct form to? But how important are they really?

slfmade is offline Knowledgeable Member

bigdavevegas is offline Junior Member
    Love Dead lifts. In my opinion they are extremely valuable.

Testosterone. is offline Junior Member
    IMO deadlifts should be the cornerstone of ALL workout routines. Its a true measure of ones strength. It thickens the back and other muscle groups. Want to bench more weight? Start dead lifting. Nothing like picking up DEAD WEIGHT off the floor, I LOVE IT!

SmokeEater is offline New Member
    Adding dead lifts to my workout was the greatest thing I've done for my job and life. It builds what I think is the most functional strength of all the exercises I've done.

should I add it to my leg days? also squats hurt my shoulders now, I recently had a dislocation so would these be something I could use to replace squats for a while?

Quote Originally Posted by slfmade View Post
    Thanks these are great haha Did you mean to post links with them though or am I just supposed to look the info up myself?

lmmalone is offline Junior Member
    Look it up yourself. There are TONS of videos/articles

Also, I do deadlifts on my back day. It's my favorite exercise of all time

iliketurtles is offline New Member
    deadlift's are one of the best exercises you can do, especially for core strength. You will even be working your abs pretty good.

Absolutely crucial to make sure you are working with good form though. Do your research.

dec11 is offline 'everything louder than everything else'
    Blog Entries
    if you want to big and strong hit them, low reps and heavy, nothing above 8reps.

Alright thanks everybody.
    My current training routine is day 1 chest/ triceps days 2 back/ biceps days 3 legs/ shoulders day 4 is rest then repeat. So am I gona be ok adding them to my back day?

tall76 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    need to do deads if u wanna grow. I do them on back day

Greyeyes is offline New Member
    Super important. I always start with them on days I train back.

JackSwole is offline Associate Member
    I think you get it by reading everyone else's opinion... but dead lift - bro. It's the most functional of workouts - it's hands down a true estimate of your overall strength. If you're not accustomed to the dead life, start small and work your way up. I can almost guarantee you'll feel it in your lower back by the second day, but make it a permanent part of your workout and you'll notice an increase in strength across the board.

Testosterone. is offline Junior Member
    Just did my Dead Lifts Yesterday.... Feeling the soothing sore of a good workout today as I sit here drinking my carton of egg whites

Thanks guys. Did deadlifts tonight. Came home and my wife said HOLY SHIT your thick as hell hahahahahaha no joke. Im a pretty big guy anyways but it felt good that after one night even of doing deadlifts she noticed a change. I know this was probably from the pump but it was still cool.

MeatHead85 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Armykid93
    should I add it to my leg days? also squats hurt my shoulders now, I recently had a dislocation so would these be something I could use to replace squats for a while?
    If squats hurt your shoulders try picking up a stingray. Its a little blue thing that attaches to the bar. Helps a lot imo. As far as dead lifts go glad you started doing them. Like everyone else its on my back day. Warm up good then hit them hard. Shit really works the whole body!

DeadlyD is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tall76
    need to do deads if u wanna grow. I do them on back day
    I agree,i neglected squats and deadlifts when i first started training but when i started adding them my all around strength increased huge!

i move heavy things!

bikeral is offline Life is only stressful if you care!

skeeter715 is offline New Member
    Dead lifts are on of my fav exercises. If you are doing them on back day, I suggest making it your first exercise after a few pull ups for warm up. Dead lifts are the ultimate test of raw strength. I usually keep my legs shoulder width apart. Bring the bar to my shins and drag it up my shins. Keep your head up, butt down. You know you are doing it right when you have scars on your shins. Hope that helps.

AndrewD54 is offline Junior Member
    speaking of scars on your shins, I was hating that part. I ended up going to a sports store and buying some shinguards like for soccer, and wearing them during deadlifts I get weird looks in the gym but I also don't bleed all over the bar.. WIN

hugz is offline New Member
    I know lots of bodybuilders who dont do deadlifts. They arent required. Deadlifts cannot be compared to Squats, which is the REAL cornerstone and overall strength
    maker ( also releases that hgh ) - However, they are definitely one of the bread and butters, but they are not "necessary" to grow. That is false, people who do real research and understand the functioning of all muscle groups know this, you can still hit your core / lower back just fine without deads involuntarily. . Its very beneficial for forearms and grip though, same as shrugs... as a secondary muscle productivity. Also, if people want to say "ultimate strength" this and that youre full of shit, if thats the case man up and do cleans.
    Last edited by hugz; 01-11-2012 at 01:57 PM.

alexISthrowed is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I started out in powerlifting and I think deadlifts gave me back development and muscle maturity that is not seen too often in people my age.

skeeter715 is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hugz View Post
    I know lots of bodybuilders who dont do deadlifts. They arent required. Deadlifts cannot be compared to Squats, which is the REAL cornerstone and overall strength
    maker ( also releases that hgh ) - However, they are definitely one of the bread and butters, but they are not "necessary" to grow. That is false, people who do real research and understand the functioning of all muscle groups know this, you can still hit your core / lower back just fine without deads involuntarily. . Its very beneficial for forearms and grip though, same as shrugs... as a secondary muscle productivity. Also, if people want to say "ultimate strength" this and that youre full of shit, if thats the case man up and do cleans.

I agree with you fully on your points on Squats. I do not know if I would say that people who believe deadlifts are "the ultimate test of strength" are full of... That is a pretty big leap in logic. I will say that what I wrote in the prior post about deadlifts being the "ultimate test of strength" can be misleading to some. I say that bc people can infer that using "the" places the highest rank on them. What I strongly believe is that they are one of the best exercises to test your strength. It is a belief of mine. Even if majority believe that squats or clean and press is the ultimate test, that is still a belief unless its somehow quantified maybe through test release or some other methodology. I did not mean to offend you hugz if I did, but I do apologize for the inconvenience in the language I used that may be misleading.

Thread Information