MACKATTACK is offline EAT, TRAIN, REST

Hitting a Plateau with cardio......add an extra rest day?

I am trying to cut and lose weight and have been doing cardio 6 days a week with basketball on Monday nights as one of my cardio days. Kind of hit a little plateau, partially due to christmas eve and day, had some Lasagna and Lemon chicken and drank some diet coke, but I was wondering if adding in another rest day would be good.

Should I add in an extra rest day on like Wednesday (my off day is sunday)? I have one cheat meal a week which is on Saturday afternoon, rice with chicken parm, other than that the diet is right proportions but not over the top with limited carbs.

I am going to start lifting again in late January. I am losing around 3lbs a week but noticing more gains (meaning greater loss) in my midsection and shoulders and traps.........

Right now I am doing:

40-50mins of eliptical 5 days, with 3 hours of basketball one day.

I forgot to add, I do abs 6 days a week too..........

Any ideas are appreciated.........(btw this is an all natural approach for the first time in a LONG time and I plan on doing it in this manner for the remainder)
    Last edited by MACKATTACK; 12-30-2011 at 02:44 PM.

Nevermind............just gonna change to HIT 4 days a week and 2 days constant.......

tall76 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Why no lifting? Best recipe for cutting is good nutrition, a well rounded resistance training program and cardio

slfmade is offline Knowledgeable Member
    ^^^^Agreed. Also, I think switching to HIIT is a good move. Sometimes when you hit a wall you just need to change it up. As Tall said, why no lifting?

P.S. I think 6 days a week of abs is overtraining IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by tall76 View Post
    Why no lifting? Best recipe for cutting is good nutrition, a well rounded resistance training program and cardio
    Quote Originally Posted by slfmade View Post
    ^^^^Agreed. Also, I think switching to HIIT is a good move. Sometimes when you hit a wall you just need to change it up. As Tall said, why no lifting?

P.S. I think 6 days a week of abs is overtraining IMHO.
    I had a couple injuries to my wrist and shoulder, so I am giving it a break for a month. I am gonna start early morning empty stomach cardio and if its an afternoon session then HIIT.

tall76 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    The metabolic effect of doing resistance training- even only with ur lower body would be huge and help u tremendously trying to cut and lose weight

lmmalone is offline Junior Member
    Even if you can only lift with your lower body, do it. As far as cardio goes, mix it up. Do some steady state, do some HIIT. If you're gonna do your steady state in the gym, switch up machines. Do some biking, do some elliptical, do some stair stepping.

Thread Information