ThirstyJ is offline New Member

Need a new workout program

Hey guys..

I have only been working out for the last year or so and have managed to get some good results. Unfortunately though, my workout plan just isn't working for me and over the last few months I haven't really gotten any bigger.

After doing a bit of reading on here I can see that what I've been doing is basically bullshit working out. Not eating right and not really training right either. However, I really wanna step it up, I just don't really know how I should go about it. At the moment I go to the gym 4 days a week, for about an hour each time. I have two days where I just do bis, tris and abs and the other 2 days I do back, shoulder, chest, legs. I take BSN No-Xplode before my workout and whey protein afterwards, multi vitamins every day. Any advice on if that's Ok or what I should do..

Could someone help me come up with a training program? I want to hit the gym 4 times a week and really want to target my arms in particular, and also everywhere from the waist up. Legs are least important, but of course I'm not going to neglect them.

Is it better to only target certain areas on one day and then do different muscles the next day?

I really just need a good program that I can follow. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated..I'm here to learn!
    Last edited by ThirstyJ; 01-02-2012 at 06:57 AM.

boxa06 is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirstyJ View Post
    Hey guys..

I have only been working out for the last year or so and have managed to get some good results. Unfortunately though, my workout plan just isn't working for me and over the last few months I haven't really gotten any bigger. You need to be looking at diet here and making sure you are in surplus of calories

After doing a bit of reading on here I can see that what I've been doing is basically bullshit working out. Not eating right and not really training right either. However, I really wanna step it up, I just don't really know how I should go about it. At the moment I go to the gym 4 days a week, for about an hour each time. I have two days where I just do bis, tris and abs and the other 2 days I do back, shoulder, chest, legs. I take BSN No-Xplode before my workout and whey protein afterwards, multi vitamins every day. Any advice on if that's Ok or what I should do.. You need to hit more compound movements over isolations as they will give more muscle development eg. Bench press, dead lift, squats etc.

Could someone help me come up with a training program? I want to hit the gym 4 times a week and really want to target my arms in particular, and also everywhere from the waist up. Legs are least important, but of course I'm not going to neglect them. Legs are very important to train as they release the most natural testosterone when trained. This will help develops your upper body. Also there have been studies that's show compound movements such as chin ups for example put more stress on the bicep than any curl or bicep isolation. Therefore you would have bigger gains in arms from doing compounds.

Is it better to only target certain areas on one day and then do different muscles the next day? It is if you want to train each muscle with more volume giving more time for that area to recover

I really just need a good program that I can follow. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated..I'm here to learn!
    There are many good 4 day splits but my all time personal favourite has to be legs and lower back, chest and tri's, upper back and bi's, shoulders and abs.

dooie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirstyJ
    Hey guys..

I have only been working out for the last year or so and have managed to get some good results. Unfortunately though, my workout plan just isn't working for me and over the last few months I haven't really gotten any bigger.

After doing a bit of reading on here I can see that what I've been doing is basically bullshit working out. Not eating right and not really training right either. However, I really wanna step it up, I just don't really know how I should go about it. At the moment I go to the gym 4 days a week, for about an hour each time. I have two days where I just do bis, tris and abs and the other 2 days I do back, shoulder, chest, legs. I take BSN No-Xplode before my workout and whey protein afterwards, multi vitamins every day. Any advice on if that's Ok or what I should do..

Could someone help me come up with a training program? I want to hit the gym 4 times a week and really want to target my arms in particular, and also everywhere from the waist up. Legs are least important, but of course I'm not going to neglect them.

Is it better to only target certain areas on one day and then do different muscles the next day?

Four day split, try this:

Mon, Chest and Tris
    Tues, back and bis
    Wed, rest
    Thursday, shoulders and abs
    Friday, lower body

You need to change your mindset mate, legs are you most important muscle group, when u hit legs, you will find that you will produce more testosterone and actually find weight will be put on a lot quicker..

If u want an arm day, just do shoulders and chest on the same day.

In saying all this, your gains have probably slowed because of diet rather than training program IMO, u can't keep the same progress rate forever, otherwise you'd see 300lb monsters everywhere

ThirstyJ is offline New Member
    Thanks for the replies lads!

gmantheman is offline Associate Member
    Here are a few more 4 day splits.
    Mon Shoulders/Arms
    Tues legs
    Wed Rest
    Thurs Chest
    Fri Back
    Sat/Sun rest

Mon Chest/Bi
    Tues legs
    Wed Rest
    Thurs Shoulder/Tris
    Fri Back
    Sat/Sun Rest

Mon Legs
    Tues Shoulders/Tris
    Wed Rest
    Thurs Back/Bi
    Fri Chest
    Sat/Sun Rest

petie is offline New Member
    Monday chest and biceps so all the blood flow is at the front
    Tue legs and fore arms
    Wed rest
    Thur shoulders and calves
    Fri back and triceps all blood flow is at the back

This way you do biceps and triceps twice a week as when you do chest your triceps work and with back your biceps work try it! Really works from me and change workout routine every 6-8 weeks else your muscles get to use to your routine and you won't grow as nuch

Thread Information