Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    woodbutcher is offline New Member

am i doing too many sets

hi guys.just a quick question about my training method at the minute.how im training is for example.on chest. 3x12,3x10,3x8 to 6 on flat.repeat for incline and repeat for decline.im doing a total of 270 reps on chest.please bare in mind that il only be doing this for 6 weeks, then change my workout plan to maybe 1 set of each but go heavy.ive always trained like this but recently afew blokes at the gym cany believe how many reps im doing.it just feels right to me.any thoughts?

-KJ- is offline Productive Member
    TOO MUCH... you are not lifying heavy enough or Full ROM if u do this..

im 32.5ft11.85kg.first set i start with 30kg dumb bells.move onto 32kg and try and finish on 36s.usually the last 2 or 3 reps are assisted.to me thats pretty heavy for the amount of sets im doing.please remember that i only do this for 6weeks.how many sets do u recommend then mate?

Juced_porkchop is offline Knowledgeable Member
    i do sets for about 40min till i cant anymore, be it 20 or 30 sets, but my reps only go to 6-8reps max per set. workout eod is what i rec also

ok thanks.what does eod and rom mean?

Soar is offline Productive Member
    EOD is every other day

ROM is range of motion

dj erk15 is offline Junior Member
    WAY too many reps bro.

k guys what do u recommend on how many sets i should try?im currently thimking of doing 1set 8reps 34kg.2nd set 8reps 36kg 3set 38kg 6reps.then move onto incline,same again but lighter and same on decline.any thoughts?

largerthannormal is offline Productive Member
    rule # one drop the dumbells and get to a barbell.

rule # two decline wont do much for nothing unless trying to fill in a shape, as for size youll never really see a body builder on decline, incline & flat is what you need and push press

i compete in 181raw weight class and I walk around at 190, my best max ever is 365lbs flat for single.

i only max once every 6 months..( i did yesterday and only got to 345) i spend 2 days to prepare for that

My sets start
    week 1 MONDAY( 3x15) flat BARBELL, then i move to incline dumbells for stability 3x12 then some flys 3x10
    week 1 thrusday ( 3x15) inlcine barbell, then move to flat dumbells 3x12 then flys

week 2 i follow the same fashion but sets of (4x8)

week 3 (5x5)

then i start over. I work all phases of the muscle

some week ill throw sumthn stupid in like 1x50 then 1 x 30 then 1x 20

i never spend more than 45min on chest.......

every week i try to start 5-10 lbs heavier than the 3rd week prior, if i cant finish my reps i repeat it until i can.

final trick to getting a heavy bench ( this may sounds stupid) SQUATS.... strong legs n core is best stability for holding/pushing heavy weight.

I know you didnt ask many of these questions but in all reality your benching to get stronger.....

just my two cents
    Last edited by largerthannormal; 01-29-2013 at 02:43 PM.

Live for the PUMP is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by largerthannormal View Post
    rule # one drop the dumbells and get to a barbell.

rule # two decline wont do much for nothing unless trying to fill in a shape, as for size youll never really see a body builder on decline, incline & flat is what you need and push press

i compete in 181raw weight class and I walk around at 190, my best max ever is 365lbs flat for single.

i only max once every 6 months..( i did yesterday and only got to 345) i spend 2 days to prepare for that

My sets start
    week 1 MONDAY( 3x15) flat BARBELL, then i move to incline dumbells for stability 3x12 then some flys 3x10
    week 1 thrusday ( 3x15) inlcine barbell, then move to flat dumbells 3x12 then flys

week 2 i follow the same fashion but sets of (4x8)

week 3 (5x5)

then i start over. I work all phases of the muscle

some week ill throw sumthn stupid in like 1x50 then 1 x 30 then 1x 20

i never spend more than 45min on chest.......

every week i try to start 5-10 lbs heavier than the 3rd week prior, if i cant finish my reps i repeat it until i can.

final trick to getting a heavy bench ( this may sounds stupid) SQUATS.... strong legs n core is best stability for holding/pushing heavy weight.

I know you didnt ask many of these questions but in all reality your benching to get stronger.....

just my two cents
    Great advice. I like your routine.

I second the, "Squat more to bench more."

-KJ- is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by largerthannormal

Decline involves more cheSt than any other be it flat or incline. And DB chest involves more muscle fibres than any other chest exercise.

wow thanks for your post mate.sounds a great work out on chest.il be starting back on the flat bar next week.and il deffo be trying your workout.

cjay is offline Junior Member
    Sets are an arbitrary number, they don't mean anything with out the intensity behind each rep. Another key factor is the mind muscle link and form. I don't' agree with the forget decline or dumbbells, both are very useful, and add to the ability to work muscle confusion is key in any kind of lifting development. I do agree with adding squats to increase bench. Core lifts like squats and deadlifts help over all strength gains.

In the end quit worrying about set numbers and start working on your intensity and working to muscular failure.

thanks for your advice.i always like mixing it up with dumb bells and the free bar,as for squats and deads,ive been doing squats but never seen any real change in strength and size over 2 years.but il drop the sets with every other muscle group and see what happens.

Thread Information