Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    thex95 is offline Senior Member

5*5 or 10*5 for muscle gain?

Curious what people think on this one. Assuming the remainder of the workout routine stays the same as well as diet do you think a 5 set by 5 rep routine to start with or a 10 set by 5 reps with lighter weight will be more benifical in adding muscle?

Example- chest/bi day

bench press 10*5 (205 lbs)
    incline press 4*6 (185)
    Decline press 3*8 (205)
    Chest fly 3*10

EZ bar curl 4*8
    Barbell curl 3*8
    Hammer curl 3*10

OR

bench press 5*5 (245 lbs)
    incline press 4*6 (185)
    Decline press 3*8 (205)
    Chest fly 3*10

EZ bar curl 4*8
    Barbell curl 3*8
    Hammer curl 3*10

Thoughts? Remember the goal would be adding muscle/size not strength

Gaspaco is offline "The Italian Stallion"
    You have to change it up and try them all to find out which one works for you best as a individual.

I lift heavy, 4-6 sometimes 8, but always have good 15-20rep warmup!

Turkish Juicer is offline Knowledgeable Member
    If your goal is muscle hypertrophy, then there is no point in following power-lifting like routines.

8-12 rep range is a perfect rep range for your chest for instance. On the other hand, legs often require a much higher rep range, 15-25 works the best in my personal experience as well as the experiences of others.

Why don't you try the ascending pyramidal method?

Lastly, 10 x 5 doesn't make sense, it is a format that simply doesn't exist.

thex95 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Turkish Juicer View Post
    If your goal is muscle hypertrophy, then there is no point in following power-lifting like routines.

8-12 rep range is a perfect rep range for your chest for instance. On the other hand, legs often require a much higher rep range, 15-25 works the best in my personal experience as well as the experiences of others.

Thanks for the input TJ.

However when you say it does not exist what do you mean by that? I mean clearly it is possible to workout in this fashion their are no restrictions that would prevent you from doing so. Technically any format CAN exist, however un-beneficial it may be

Turkish Juicer is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thex95 View Post
    Thanks for the input TJ.

However when you say it does not exist what do you mean by that? I mean clearly it is possible to workout in this fashion their are no restrictions that would prevent you from doing so. Technically any format CAN exist, however un-beneficial it may be
    Yes, technically any format can possibly exist, regardless of whether it may not at all be beneficial. The question is: why would you want to deliberately train through a routine which is not beneficial?

The logic behind constructing a sensible and beneficial lifting routine regarding rep range is this: Can you lift 80% of 1RM 10 times? Most likely not. Can you lift it for 5 times? Most likely yes. Therefore, heavier the lifts are in a given set, lower the number of reps will be. This is the very logic behind 5x5, or any other power-lifting like routine. Heavy weights, low reps, plenty of rest times in between sets (2-5 min).

This is precisely why neither 10 x 5 nor 5 x10 doesn't make any sense, hence not presenting itself as a beneficial model, and which is why it has not been established so far as a routine (consequentially, it doesn't exist as a model): If you are lifting X amount of weight that you can lift only for 10 times, then why would you lift it only for 5 times per set? This would be clearly under-training since you will fail to stimulate muscle fibers to the fullest extend. If you are lifting X amount of weight that you can only lift for 5 times in one set, then what makes you think that you will be able to lift that weight for that many times in every set of 10 sets during one session? This would be clearly over-training and opening the door for injuries.
    Last edited by Turkish Juicer; 02-15-2013 at 02:50 AM.

Papa Smurf is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Turkish Juicer View Post

For my winter bulk, I wanted to try a new routine for mass while on cycle. For Chest, Back and shoulders I tried a DECENDING pyramidal

Warm up (20 short rep)
    First set Your single rep max (plus two forced)
    drop 20 lbs rep until failure plus two force
    repet for 3 more sets

Its a ball buster and messes with your head put it worked for me

bigsiv is offline Productive Member
    Think TJ means it should be the other way around 5 sets * 10 reps (I think)

Blog Entries
    Recommend two waves of 7-5-3 with 3min rest per set and increasing 10lbs per set. With second wave starting 10lbs higher than first. This routine to me is the best of both worlds for strength and mass.

Thread Information